City's UEFA coefficient (i.e. seeding for CL Groups)

Scooby Blue

A few thoughts on City's current ranking and how (quickly) it might change over coming years.

City's current ranking is likely to place them towards the back of the queue for Pot 3 in seeding for the Champs League Group stage (see official Champs League thread for more details)

Teams pick up 2 points per win and 1 point per draw.
Bonus points: 4 for group stages (done deal) , 5 for making it to knock-out stage.

i.e. Arsenal got 19 points this year (5 wins + 9 bonus points) for going out at 1st knockout stage.

Good news for City is that on rolling 5 year basis (the way these points are added up) we have a couple of "blank" years that will be replaced by point-scoring years (if we qualify for CL next year as well).

Obviously, rankings are determined by who qualifies from other countries:
- better for City if "new" teams like Borussia Dortmund qualify
- worse for City if usual suspects with high points keep qualifying.

Bottom Line:
To make quick progress in the rankings (and so improve our chances in future years) we need to get out of the group stages:
After one year of doing this, we would move to front of the queue for Pot 3
After two years of doing this, we would probably move into Pot 2.

If we fail to make it out of group stages (but continue to qualify for CL) we will simply edge very slowly forwards within Pot 3 for next couple of years.

Scooby Blue said:
A few thoughts on City's current ranking and how (quickly) it might change over coming years.

City's current ranking is likely to place them towards the back of the queue for Pot 3 in seeding for the Champs League Group stage (see official Champs League thread for more details)

Teams pick up 2 points per win and 1 point per draw.
Bonus points: 4 for group stages (done deal) , 5 for making it to knock-out stage.

i.e. Arsenal got 19 points this year (5 wins + 9 bonus points) for going out at 1st knockout stage.

Good news for City is that on rolling 5 year basis (the way these points are added up) we have a couple of "blank" years that will be replaced by point-scoring years (if we qualify for CL next year as well).

Obviously, rankings are determined by who qualifies from other countries:
- better for City if "new" teams like Borussia Dortmund qualify
- worse for City if usual suspects with high points keep qualifying.

Bottom Line:
To make quick progress in the rankings (and so improve our chances in future years) we need to get out of the group stages:
After one year of doing this, we would move to front of the queue for Pot 3
After two years of doing this, we would probably move into Pot 2.

If we fail to make it out of group stages (but continue to qualify for CL) we will simply edge very slowly forwards within Pot 3 for next couple of years.

Why dont we just win the fucker and progress straight to Pot 1 next season

Thanks m8
intersesting reading that. It's all so new to us , but I'm rubbing my hand with glee !!!!

johnmc said:
So if we went out in the last 16, qualify for it next year but Spurs do as well they would be higher seeded?

It depends on what sort of Europa league campaign Spurs have this season.

There are a surprisingly high number of ranking points that teams can pick up via Europa league: when we got through to Q-F vs Hamburg we picked up virtually same number of points as Arsenal did for making it through to CL knockout stage.

We are 13 points behind Spurs for next season, so if they make any sort of progress in this year's Europa league...the only way we could overhaul them in rankings would be by virtually winning Champs League !!

Italy's demise as a nation will shove us up a little bit as well, Germany will have 4 places from next year but dont have 4 teams with a higher rating than us.

The rags loss in the final hasn't been added to the coefficent yet, apparently uefa are going to wait till the match has taken place, bit pointless if you ask me but ah well.

The country coefficent now only counts towards a 5th of the overall team rating.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.