City's worst player of all time

Cobwebcat said:
For us Adrian Heath's record cannot be beaten. Look it up as it has to be seen to be believed. More recently RSC.

Worst in terms of couldn't play footy well there must be a few who only played a handful of games.... Vuoso never played! Immel was a keeper that was bozeyed and couldn't kick the ball...Megson, Kernaghan, fronzech...

The guy we called Ironically called Zico too.

Heath was shite. He missed a near open goal late on in a 0-0 Derby match at Maine Road, in front of the North Stand. I was on The Kippax and went bananas at the little twat.

I'll throw in Scott Hiley as the worst, however. I believe he trod on the ball and broke his leg, during a game. I mean, that must be a difficult thing to achieve.

Shaelumstash said:
jma said:
Samaras - Utter shithouse. "He shows flashes" some pricks would say. What they meant was, once every couple of games he does something that is not totally shit. Scouted by Graham Carr but more probably scouted by his son imo. His (full?) debut (well, I think it was his debut) at Everton was one of the shitest efforts I've ever seen. He was obviously shite. He didn't have the basics but people were desperate to convince themselves that he looked decent. He didn't. I was ready to throw myself off that wooden stand. He was and is shite.

Negouai - I mention him, and he was shit, mainly because this was another example of people desperate to see something in a player that just wasn't there. I watched his debut against Portsmouth in a pub on my own. I'd been abroad for a few months and get back to find people saying they had just signed the new Vieira. He was desperate and obviously a donkey. Yet the commentators and every City fan I spoke to that week were going on as if he had had a stormer. He has never had a stormer in his life. This Benarbia looks a decent player though.

Creaney - Fat and swapped for a crowd favourite. Only decent things I remember him doing are a goal against Leeds and a quality free kick against Charlton. Awful.

Bradbury - Another one people spent months trying to convince themselves that he 'showed signs'. No he didn't. Just remembered. Saw some Pompey fans in a queue on holiday that summer. They said that Bradbury was shit and City had been robbed. They latter said they were joking. They weren't.

Bob Taylor - How the fuck did he score all those goals for Gillingham? Fat.

Charvet - Bloke with a tash in front of me in the temporary stand between the Kippax and Platt Lane rumbled this bloke after 5 minutes of his debut. He had seen enough and spent the next 85 minutes absolutely slaughtering Charvet. This is on his debut and the bloke's venom was tremendous. After half an hour of him standing up on his own, shouting dog's abuse at him, telling everyone that he the shittest player he had ever seen and trying to get the rest of the crowd to join in, I was thinking "Steady on, give him a chance." Turns out that he was like some moustashioed football visionary. His mouth was foul though. Gave me a laugh during what was most likely a hiding.

Brannan - Every discussion needs to mention him. Poster boy for shit buys at that time.

Vuoso - Saw him play in a friendly at Rochdale. Didn't really notice him as I was more interested in the debut of Kenny Carr. Thought he was anonymous and that's it. Person I was with spent the rest of the night telling me he was the shittest player he'd ever seen. Another one worth listening to.

Beesley, Wassall, Rodgers, Heaney, Russell - Loads of shit under Clark. These lot all merge into one for me. Anonymous journeymen. I thought Russell was going to score a hat full. Nope.

David Brightwell - I loved Brian Horton, but he must have been off his head the night that he picked this donkey to play against Kanchelskis. Everyone knew what was going to happen. And it did. But Brian wouldn't change a winning team - I think they had just beaten Norwich at Maine Road (and maybe someone else). Terry Phelen - fast as fuck - had been injured but was fit and would have at least given Kanchelskis a race. He got a hat trick and should have had ten. EVERYONE knew it would happen.

Rick Holden - For fuck's sake. Slower than Richard Jobson at 40. Comedy winger.

Loads more too.

Kanchelskis and Beardsley are too examples that turned up here on loan after being good players and were shite. Played as if they had sent the celebrity look-a-likes.

Oh yeah, Nigel Clough too. The original bastard, content to pick up his wages. City were getting humped at home to someone like Oxford or Port Vale in a weeknight game in what is now the Championship. A bloke comes in steaming out of his skull and takes the seat next to someone I kind of know. Well, he didn't take the seat, he asked what score it was, got told that it was one nil to them, decide that this was all bollocks and ran on. Went towards Dibble to give him some shit, decided he was a bit too tall and turned round to seek out Clough and proceeded to give him both barrels before being dragged off. Great stuff.

One of my favourite posts ever on Bluemoon, and I agree with every word! I've highlighted the Bob Taylor bit as it made me laugh the most.

Out of interest, what is your opinion of Paul Dickov as a player, taking in to account his entire City career?

I agree, I was laughing out loud in complete agreement. To barge in on your Dickov question, Kevin Keegan was rumoured to have told Dickov the he just couldn't kick a football, during training. I concur with Keegan. Dickov was among the most hard working players you'll ever see, but he was not very good at football, in my opinion.

Bobby Shinton (and most players signed by Allison), Nigel Johnson (defo the worst centre-half I've ever seen) and - I'm surprised no one has mentioned him - CHRIS SHUKER. He came on and looked like the kid who is the last one to be picked when boys are picking sides for a kickabout in the park.
What depresses me is that there are so many of them. To be more accurate, some of those mentioned tried but just didn't have it, some couldn't be bothered trying. Why do managers sign or play all these no-hopers, when we can see they're crap?

jma said:
Samaras - Utter shithouse. "He shows flashes" some pricks would say. What they meant was, once every couple of games he does something that is not totally shit. Scouted by Graham Carr but more probably scouted by his son imo. His (full?) debut (well, I think it was his debut) at Everton was one of the shitest efforts I've ever seen. He was obviously shite. He didn't have the basics but people were desperate to convince themselves that he looked decent. He didn't. I was ready to throw myself off that wooden stand. He was and is shite.

Negouai - I mention him, and he was shit, mainly because this was another example of people desperate to see something in a player that just wasn't there. I watched his debut against Portsmouth in a pub on my own. I'd been abroad for a few months and get back to find people saying they had just signed the new Vieira. He was desperate and obviously a donkey. Yet the commentators and every City fan I spoke to that week were going on as if he had had a stormer. He has never had a stormer in his life. This Benarbia looks a decent player though.

Creaney - Fat and swapped for a crowd favourite. Only decent things I remember him doing are a goal against Leeds and a quality free kick against Charlton. Awful.

Bradbury - Another one people spent months trying to convince themselves that he 'showed signs'. No he didn't. Just remembered. Saw some Pompey fans in a queue on holiday that summer. They said that Bradbury was shit and City had been robbed. They latter said they were joking. They weren't.

Charvet - Bloke with a tash in front of me in the temporary stand between the Kippax and Platt Lane rumbled this bloke after 5 minutes of his debut. He had seen enough and spent the next 85 minutes absolutely slaughtering Charvet. This is on his debut and the bloke's venom was tremendous. After half an hour of him standing up on his own, shouting dog's abuse at him, telling everyone that he the shittest player he had ever seen and trying to get the rest of the crowd to join in, I was thinking "Steady on, give him a chance." Turns out that he was like some moustashioed football visionary. His mouth was foul though. Gave me a laugh during what was most likely a hiding.

Brannan - Every discussion needs to mention him. Poster boy for shit buys at that time.

Vuoso - Saw him play in a friendly at Rochdale. Didn't really notice him as I was more interested in the debut of Kenny Carr. Thought he was anonymous and that's it. Person I was with spent the rest of the night telling me he was the shittest player he'd ever seen. Another one worth listening to.

Beesley, Wassall, Rodgers, Heaney, Russell - Loads of shit under Clark. These lot all merge into one for me. Anonymous journeymen. I thought Russell was going to score a hat full. Nope.

David Brightwell - I loved Brian Horton, but he must have been off his head the night that he picked this donkey to play against Kanchelskis. Everyone knew what was going to happen. And it did. But Brian wouldn't change a winning team - I think they had just beaten Norwich at Maine Road (and maybe someone else). Terry Phelen - fast as fuck - had been injured but was fit and would have at least given Kanchelskis a race. He got a hat trick and should have had ten. EVERYONE knew it would happen.

Loads more too.

Kanchelskis and Beardsley are too examples that turned up here on loan after being good players and were shite. Played as if they had sent the celebrity look-a-likes.

Oh yeah, Nigel Clough too. The original bastard, content to pick up his wages. City were getting humped at home to someone like Oxford or Port Vale in a weeknight game in what is now the Championship. A bloke comes in steaming out of his skull and takes the seat next to someone I kind of know. Well, he didn't take the seat, he asked what score it was, got told that it was one nil to them, decide that this was all bollocks and ran on. Went towards Dibble to give him some shit, decided he was a bit too tall and turned round to seek out Clough and proceeded to give him both barrels before being dragged off. Great stuff.

New poster here. Hello.

Can I just explode the myth that David Brightwell played against Kanchelskis in the 5-0. He didn't. Phelan did. Brightwell played the season before when we lost 2-0.

It is extremely difficult to pick one as there quite a few over the years.

s1ty m said:
Shaelumstash said:
jma said:

Loads more too.

One of my favourite posts ever on Bluemoon, and I agree with every word! I've highlighted the Bob Taylor bit as it made me laugh the most.

Out of interest, what is your opinion of Paul Dickov as a player, taking in to account his entire City career?

I agree, I was laughing out loud in complete agreement. To barge in on your Dickov question, Kevin Keegan was rumoured to have told Dickov the he just couldn't kick a football, during training. I concur with Keegan. Dickov was among the most hard working players you'll ever see, but he was not very good at football, in my opinion.

I wasn't aware Keegan had said that to him, I'd heard a similar rumour that he'd said it to Macken but he paid 5m for him so Dickov would make more sense.

Dickov did graft his arse off, no one could ever accuse him of anything different, but it was his only attribute. Pathetic finisher, no intelligence whatsoever in his movement or passing, not very quick, 5 goals a season, just a dreadful, dreadful footballer.

Shaelumstash said:
s1ty m said:
Shaelumstash said:

I wasn't aware Keegan had said that to him, I'd heard a similar rumour that he'd said it to Macken but he paid 5m for him so Dickov would make more sense.

Dickov did graft his arse off, no one could ever accuse him of anything different, but it was his only attribute. Pathetic finisher, no intelligence whatsoever in his movement or passing, not very quick, 5 goals a season, just a dreadful, dreadful footballer.

Dickov was an awful footballer but 1999 will stand him in good stead with me for my lifetime. His effort never questioned and I have a Dickov gnome in the garden

Partington Blue said:
Shaelumstash said:
s1ty m said:

Dickov was an awful footballer but 1999 will stand him in good stead with me for my lifetime. His effort never questioned and I have a Dickov gnome in the garden

Prior to Aguero's, that Dickov goal in 99 was my best moment as a City fan so I understand what you are saying. I just think because it was such a special moment people tend to forget how awful he was for the rest of his career.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.