Close range finishing.

asahartford1

I have always been an advocate of going high when shooting from close range. I see so many forwards trying to slip it past a keeper from close range, or hitting it low through a packed defence when 6 yards from goal.
Keepers spread themselves, and go to ground early, sometimes it goes through legs, but most often shots are blocked.
Kun was great at hitting it high when needed, most of our current forwards try to hit it low.Defenders go to ground to make blocks.
I know it takes more control and skill to lift the ball, but the art of dinking over the keeper, or hitting the roof of the net from close range seems to be dying.
Probably not an interesting topic for most , but it fascinates me.

I have always been an advocate of going high when shooting from close range. I see so many forwards trying to slip it past a keeper from close range, or hitting it low through a packed defence when 6 yards from goal.
Keepers spread themselves, and go to ground early, sometimes it goes through legs, but most often shots are blocked.
Kun was great at hitting it high when needed, most of our current forwards try to hit it low.Defenders go to ground to make blocks.
I know it takes more control and skill to lift the ball, but the art of dinking over the keeper, or hitting the roof of the net from close range seems to be dying.
Probably not an interesting topic for most , but it fascinates me.

Attachments

• FD0E635A-786C-4573-8538-701C1510B41F.gif
    FD0E635A-786C-4573-8538-701C1510B41F.gif
    93.9 KB · Views: 29
I think a lot of it is a confidence thing. You see the elite finishes just do whatever they need to do in the fashion that they usually do it. (eg Aguero smash, Vardy dink, Fernandes penalty etc..)

Problem with those types of finishes are that when you miss you look like a mug, because a lot of it is in essence hit and hope, where the hope is that you're skilled enough to make it work.

Now with social media storms and there being millions of replays, there's a greater pressure than ever on players to get it right, so anyone without that elite confidence has become really shy.

City are riddled with players who aren't confident on this front. Sterling and Jesus (and maybe Bernardo) being the very best examples of this insecurity.

Look at Kane. He has a mentally miserable summer with his move getting blocked and all of a sudden he's allergic to finding the net.

best example of lofting it was Robinho's goal, not seen a better one since,
imo of course...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.