Close range finishing.

I think a lot of it is a confidence thing. You see the elite finishes just do whatever they need to do in the fashion that they usually do it. (eg Aguero smash, Vardy dink, Fernandes penalty etc..)

Problem with those types of finishes are that when you miss you look like a mug, because a lot of it is in essence hit and hope, where the hope is that you're skilled enough to make it work.

Now with social media storms and there being millions of replays, there's a greater pressure than ever on players to get it right, so anyone without that elite confidence has become really shy.

City are riddled with players who aren't confident on this front. Sterling and Jesus (and maybe Bernardo) being the very best examples of this insecurity.

Look at Kane. He has a mentally miserable summer with his move getting blocked and all of a sudden he's allergic to finding the net.

Thank you.
I was expecting g too much to discuss an very important part of the game on a football forum.
So one serious reply was a bonus.)
Confidence is important , but natural goalscorers just keep doing the right thing even when they miss a few.
Kane is now too deep and doesn't have the supply he once had.

Martinelli has just scored a classic, one on one, he just lifted it . Great finish.

It is instinctive.

Some players have a preferred placement, based on their approach to the goal & keeper, but the best players make a split second, almost unconscious, decision based on how it’s all unfolding in front of them.

Sometimes, the keeper makes the choice for you, but the best keepers stay as big as possible and try to force the attacker to make a hard decision and they react.

In general, players try to keep the ball away from the keepers big advantage: highly mobile hands and arms that they can use to make themselves bigger, but struggle to get down low to assist them.

For me, it was always the most open part of the goal I was aiming for. If a keeper had closed it off pretty well, it was low and to his weakest side (usually his left, my right), and every now and then, with a keeper who looks like he’s got it covered, i’d just leather it low and hope that even if he got something on it, it wasn’t enough to stop it!

Thank you.
I was expecting g too much to discuss an very important part of the game on a football forum.
So one serious reply was a bonus.)
Confidence is important , but natural goalscorers just keep doing the right thing even when they miss a few.
Kane is now too deep and doesn't have the supply he once had.

Martinelli has just scored a classic, one on one, he just lifted it . Great finish.
I suppose you could say that an elite goalscorer knows where the net is in the same way De Bruyne always knows where the runner is for a pass. A lifetime of practice in a way.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.