club america v city

Nelly's Left Foot said:
Looks like we are getting closer now. I have no problem talking about him being a top top player and maybe yes one of the best midfielders in the world.That's why we bought him but on the back of one friendly 45 minutes you just cannot lift him the best in the world.That's just crazy and the point I was making.

And yes what you see in a friendly is not a guarantee of what will get in the premiership.As for better midfield players I think there are still 2 at barca who are better ( different of course but better) and that's why Yaya didn't always get selected.And then there's Cesc.There's 3 without thinking.

You are missing my point. I said that I rated him as one of the best before the game, same as you do. Then I said I didn't realise how good his touch, technique and passing ability was until watching him closely the other night. I said because of this, I think he might be the best box to box player.

You keep bringing up - "on the back of 45 mins in a friendly". You're wrong. That's not all i'm basing it on. If you think his touch and technical ability will somehow be worse in the Premiership than in a friendly, I don't really understand how or why it would be? Doesn't really make any logical sense does it?

Regarding Xavi, Iniesta and Fabregas, to me they are attacking, creative midfielders and I agree those 3 are better than him. I am saying he is one of the best Box to Box players. That to me is someone who wins lots of tackles, screens the back 4, plays behind the ball, always wants the ball, good passer, dictates play and and gets forward and create and score the odd goal. As fantastic as Xavi, Iniesta are, you don't see them winning crunching tackles on the edge of their own box and winnning many headers off corners. They are without doubt world class players, but are better at spraying it about and creating.

You said it yourself, they are "different of course"! I'm not saying Yaya Toure is the best midfielder in the world, but one of the best Box to Box midfielders. Like I said earlier, he's more like a Keane or Viera at his peak type player. In their era you would say Zidane was the best midfielder in the world, but he wasn't the best box to box player, for me that was a toss up between Keane and Viera. Different of course.

"If you think his touch and technical ability will somehow be worse in the Premiership than in a friendly, I don't really understand how or why it would be? Doesn't really make any logical sense does it?"

His touch and technical ability should still be good whatever the game but his ability to play and show the all round ability you stress I would say could be massively different in a "real" match where the opposition play faster , tighter game allowing no space.

Just thinking about Spurs at the end of least season. We were on top till half time before they changed the game , played long to miss out the midfield and were were in trouble.At the same time they pressed our midfield hard when we got the ball forcing us to play a longer game which didnt suit us.It's much harder for a midfield to shine when a team plays like that.Equally when a team decides our strength is Yaya and decide to close him very quickly we will see what he is made of.I still expect him to look good but I would like to wait and see before suggesting that he is the best in the world.

Nelly's Left Foot said:
"If you think his touch and technical ability will somehow be worse in the Premiership than in a friendly, I don't really understand how or why it would be? Doesn't really make any logical sense does it?"

His touch and technical ability should still be good whatever the game but his ability to play and show the all round ability you stress I would say could be massively different in a "real" match where the opposition play faster , tighter game allowing no space.

Just thinking about Spurs at the end of least season. We were on top till half time before they changed the game , played long to miss out the midfield and were were in trouble.At the same time they pressed our midfield hard when we got the ball forcing us to play a longer game which didnt suit us.It's much harder for a midfield to shine when a team plays like that.Equally when a team decides our strength is Yaya and decide to close him very quickly we will see what he is made of.I still expect him to look good but I would like to wait and see before suggesting that he is the best in the world.

Oh ok, so you're worried under pressure in big games he won't deliver? I disagree, he won 7 trophies in 2 seasons at Barca, I think he'll cope with the pressure just fine.

I missed the game but can anyone find a pic of us lifting the trophy?

(a mate gave me 9/1 we wouldn't get anything this year and I wanna use it to collect my money lol)

Having watched the World Cup and these friendlies, I have come to appreciate the editing and camerawork we get from ITV, BBC and Sky.

How may times were we watching a replay when it was obvious that something far more important was going on. Often the camera was concetrating on the player with the ball and not showing enough of the surrounding space to get a feel for what was happening around him. Just generally frustrating at times I thought.

Once again England leads the way ;-)

Pity about some of the commentators we're stuck with though.

daveduke67 said:
Having watched the World Cup and these friendlies, I have come to appreciate the editing and camerawork we get from ITV, BBC and Sky.

How may times were we watching a replay when it was obvious that something far more important was going on. Often the camera was concetrating on the player with the ball and not showing enough of the surrounding space to get a feel for what was happening around him. Just generally frustrating at times I thought.

Once again England leads the way ;-)

Pity about some of the commentators we're stuck with though.

It's really only natural I'd think. You have a lot of experience televising football matches and your directors and cameramen know exactly what they're looking for. We probably co-opted american football and basketball cameramen and had them filming the matches. They just wouldn't have the experience knowing what to look for in a football match that seasoned vets from England would have. Give it time though, they'll learn!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.