Club statement regarding Barry Bennell's conviction

Anybody who use this as a stick to beat any particular club with (be it City or other clubs) is not taking the issue serious, and not taking it serious is equal to accepting that it will happen again some where else.

This!

was still going in the late 90s in the cubs, but then again they let the priest in so hey...
Ours was a Jewish pack so that wouldn't have been a problem for us. ;-)

There were also people who set up their own scout groups, who controlled those groups and were the dominant figures. Fortunately we had a number of leaders and much parental help. But as leaders, not only were we always conscious of our own behaviour but there were times when we were concerned about aspects of the boys' livesoutsdie the pack and would talk to their school if we had concerns, in order to share those. There was at least one occasion I recall where there was something deeper going on at home (although not sexual abuse as far as I know). That just wouldn't have happened in the past.

If we would of voiced our concerns to Crewe and bennell found out do u think we would of been liable to slander and as not having full proof evidence? I know the same can be said for the touting of tickets but it's hardly in comparison to the other crime. I really can't see any other reason for city not telling Crewe?

What could he have done? Sued? Given it was all completely true? It's exactly what City should have done and didn't do. It's exactly what lots of clubs could have done and didn't do. This won't be just about City, it'll be about lots of different clubs turning a blind eye to what went on. City are high profile, and with a high profile comes a fully deserved focus on what the club did so wrong back then.

The current club can't undo what happened then, any more than anyone else can. What they can do is everything they possibly can to be open and honest, and compensate people as best they can, irrespective of what it costs, and irrespective of what damage further revelations might do to them. No alternative, not morally, and not even from (hideous though it is) a PR perspective.

Total disclosure where legally possible, and total acknowledgement of their responsibility for it. No excuses.

A serious as this matter is I can't help but think this post is wrong in some ways. Of course if anyone at the club knew of it and there was a cover up in any way then they should be dealt with and I don't doubt they will be. From what I have read this twat was not employed as Steve Fleet had doubts about him so he went elsewhere.

Our current owners I understand have already spent in excess of £1 million pound investigating this matter from 30 years ago. With all due respect talk of knocking down the Etihad and packing up and close down is nonsense. This is one vile individual who was never employed by our club but had links to it. And to say our reputation is now sullied for eternity is in my opinion wrong too. This is one man who the club had dealings with 30 years ago. What he did was abhorrent but our club is a wonderful club and has done so much good over so many years. Barry Bennel is not our club.

Absolutely this. I hope, and expect, our club to be open and honest about their investigation and to accept whatever responsibility they have for what happened, morally if not legally. What I don't want to see is City being 'held responsible' for everything that was wrong in football at the time simply because it's convenient (for football) to limit the fall out to one club who, by chance, is now financially able to carry that burden. Not just because it's City, but if that were to happen, then many people's actions would go unpunished and, if this really is just the tip of the iceberg, then football needs to face up to the truth and make sure every club is a safe place for kids.

5/ Our reputation is now sullied for eternity, anything we do will have this shadowing over us. If we cant earn the respect back and do whats best for those abused we may as well pack up and close down. We have to live with the consequences of what that **** did and those lives he ruined. However I look at it this has to be the lowest time In our clubs history.

Hysterical nonsense.

Could someone please explain, in a nutshell, what this guy did at City? Was he employed by us, did he work for us in an unofficial capacity? Same with this other guy Broome? Thanks. Sorry for being a pain just trying to get it sorted in my own mind.

Good to see the club taking this really seriously by employing a QC to get to the bottom of this.

Fred_Quimby said:
Could someone please explain, in a nutshell, what this guy did at City? Was he employed by us, did he work for us in an unofficial capacity? Same with this other guy Broome? Thanks.

Broome was manager of Whitehill that was regarded as a club with links to City.
Broome was not employed or paid by City in any shape or form.
He worked full time in some administration role for Manchester Education.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has gone on wildly off topic with loads of whataboutery

1/ City need to sort this mess out quick.

2/ The lads abused need showing we are doing everything possible to get to the bottom of this

3/ Any **** associated needs reporting to the police asap

4/ Our team is on the cusp of greatness and I would give it all up, the lot, so that lads can maybe get some justice.

5/ Our reputation is now sullied for eternity, anything we do will have this shadowing over us. If we cant earn the respect back and do whats best for those abused we may as well pack up and close down. We have to live with the consequences of what that **** did and those lives he ruined. However I look at it this has to be the lowest time In our clubs history.

This is unquestionably a very serious matter but some of this feels like overreaction without even knowing all the facts.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.