Clubs furloughing staff

They're sponsored by a bank, if their own bank can't give them an overdraft to get through "cash flow" difficulties I'm sure Standard Chartered could. It's not a take away or sweet shop you're talking about, its a business that made nearly £1m profit every week of last year, having the tax payers cover costs you can easily afford is crass and just plain wrong.

I don't know what Liverpool's wage bill is. Let's say £250m.

With revenues at zero and no telling when they might start to flow again (maybe not for a year; or two years), no bank is going to rush to loan £250m to pay wages (not to mention all the other costs that the club will still have to meet). £250m for a capital project in normal circumstances, no problem. But for wages in the midst of a crisis with no end date? Not cut and dried at all. Especially not when the banks themselves are going to be under enormous pressure in the coming years.

Liverpool love to portray themselves as a club of the people. This shows them up as being full of crap!

Last edited by a moderator:
We know what you are
We know what you are
We know what you are.........
We know what you are

You’re non playing staff
You’re non playing staff
You’re non playing staff..........
You only pay them 20%

You only pay them 20%
You only pay them 20%
You only pay them 20%........
You greedy bastards
You only pay them 20%

Liverpool have notably been such staunch advocates of FFP, and its requirement for clubs to be financially sustainable. The fact they're asking for government financial assistance to pay what's likely to be about £2m suggests they don't practice what they preach.
Tell me we are going to take them down soon

Cash flow. Cash flow. Cash flow!

Whatever happened a year ago or even six months ago genuinely isn't relevant currently. It's a question of what is available now to meet the costs that must be met. Season ticket money, sponsorship money, TV money......it has all been allocated. Companies have to plan for the future. They have to invest. Clubs don't hold cash for the sake of it. At least, not enough to allow for such a wholly unprecedented crisis as this. Whatever they do hold will quickly be devoured by the costs that they have to honour in the absence of further monies coming in. And there's no telling when this crisis will end. It might be a year or more from now.

I'm not sure how football clubs receive their Premier League and sponsorship monies etc..

Are they not paid over regular intervals and not all up front in one go..?

PL Clubs do not operate hand to mouth surely and even if they did get all the monies paid upfront, surely they would budget for the season accordingly and therefore not have to go cap in hand to the government after 3 weeks without playing?

I don't recall seeing or hearing of any businesses that sponsor PL clubs withholding sponsorship monies so the clubs must still be receiving these payments.

It can't all be going towards ensuring clubs just about break even, can it..?

Added to that, every PL club will have a transfer kitty, running into the 10's of millions, the teams in the top 6 probably nearer a hundred to 2 hundred million pounds.

I'm not having the 'there's no money as it's all been allocated' line..

Nearer the truth would be, greedy clubs taking advantage of an awful situation to further feather their own nests which is quite frankly a cnuts trick..!

"The wages aren't yours, the wages aren't yours, Just like the title, the wages aren't yours"

"City, paying hackers wages again"

Does this mean, now as a society we're paying them their wages we can get them to divulge all the scousers dirty secrets?

Cash flow. Cash flow. Cash flow!

Whatever happened a year ago or even six months ago genuinely isn't relevant currently. It's a question of what is available now to meet the costs that must be met. Season ticket money, sponsorship money, TV money......it has all been allocated. Companies have to plan for the future. They have to invest. Clubs don't hold cash for the sake of it. At least, not enough to allow for such a wholly unprecedented crisis as this. Whatever they do hold will quickly be devoured by the costs that they have to honour in the absence of further monies coming in. And there's no telling when this crisis will end. It might be a year or more from now.

Whilst you are quite correct, it’s a matter of cash flow, Clubs cash flow shouldn’t be a major issue. They keep plenty of cash in the bank for a start and clubs are currently only missing out on match day revenue which is a drop in the ocean compared to everything else.

Using Liverpool as an example with some very rough figures , Firstly they had around £40 million in the bank come the start of the season not doing anything, then turnover for them last season was something like £533 million , their matchday revenue was about £80 million, let’s assume those figures were similar this season, they’ve already received the vast majority of that 80 million, a lot of season cards are paid upfront, direct debits are still being taken out for those that haven’t paid upfront. Let’s say there’s 30 home games a season, individual match day tickets are a minority percentage of the attendance but let’s be overly generous and say it was as high as 50% we’ve had 2/3rds of the season already again, so again, incredibly roughly, the amount they’re missing out on is 1-1.5 million per game. The actual figures aren’t that relevant, the point is what they’re currently missing out on in matchday revenue is relatively nothing and certainly wouldn’t be keeping the staff payed alone even without the Coronavirus so they’d have to have cash in reserve anyway.

Now I don’t know how media revenue and commercial revenue is paid, perhaps there’s a large payment due that’s being withheld and they are struggling without that but I think it’s more likely its paid at the start of the season in which case they’ve already got it, or it may be common practice to pay it at the conclusion of the season in which case they wouldn’t have it either. If they were missing out on a substantial payment, Clubs do take loans from banks against future income when it suits them, they’re commonly usually for accounting purposes more than anything else but I imagine would be an option for them if they really were struggling for cash flow, and the fact that they don’t do that regularly suggests cash flow isn’t as tight as you seem to be indicating throughout the season.

They’ll likely be doing their end of season annual financial accounts whilst this football suspension is still in effect, I wonder if Liverpool and indeed other clubs will be paying back loans due and interests on loans they’ve taken from parent companies or whether they’ll be deferring such payments and whether dividends will still be paid out as they’re clearly struggling so badly.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.