Coffee

Water for coffee should never be boiling. It over extracts too quickly and often makes the coffee bitter.
It should be around 96 degrees C.
Try it.
I know I can tell the difference and much prefer coffee brewed just off the boil.
I think this might answer all your questions on brew temperature. James Hoffman is the Guru on coffee

Any coffee nuts on here. I have started experimenting with my filter coffee machine. Using boiling water, pour over coffee grounds first before putting in machine (fresh coffee beans from a coffee roaster) and it has made a huge difference to the taste of the coffee. I have disliked instant coffee for years and only used to drink tea.

I have been toying with the idea of getting a new machine - Sage Precision Brewer - as I don’t really want to go down the road of an espresso machine but I have been toying with the idea of using an aeropress or a V60 as you can, allegedly, get almost as good a brew for a fraction of the cost. Has anyone any experience of either of these methods or will I get a better brew with the Sage?
The 'bloom' phase. Also makes a difference if you make a little well in the middle of the coffee when you put it in the filter paper.

I use an Aeropress daily with freshly ground beans (game changer). Aeropress needs careful work to achieve consistency (grind size, brew time, temperature, agitation, brewing method), and V60 similarly.

Have a look at James Hoffman's channel on YouTube. He's a bit posh, but VERY knowledgeable.

The 'bloom' phase. Also makes a difference if you make a little well in the middle of the coffee when you put it in the filter paper.

I use an Aeropress daily with freshly ground beans (game changer). Aeropress needs careful work to achieve consistency (grind size, brew time, temperature, agitation, brewing method), and V60 similarly.

Have a look at James Hoffman's channel on YouTube. He's a bit posh, but VERY knowledgeable.
Thanks. Am I correct in assuming that the aeropress gives you an espresso type output that you can then add hot water to make an Americano?

I’ve had a coffee grinder for some time now, and I’ve bought some beans. How much should I use for a couple of cups using a cafietiere? Love my cofeee.

Always grind your own beans for the best brew at home.

I too love 'ManCoco' but also 'Salford Roasters' and the more commercial 'Grumpy Mule'.For an excellent bargain brew look no further than Aldi's best range.

As for a machine,you needn't spend a fortune.....i have a Beko that cost approx £70 and its arguably better than the 400 notes Italian variety i had prior.

Thanks. Am I correct in assuming that the aeropress gives you an espresso type output that you can then add hot water to make an Americano?
You can brew at a higher coffee to water ratio and then 'let it down' with hot water. It all relates to the coffee to water ratio.

The biggest issue I find with getting a decent Aeropress brew is under extracted coffee that tastes sour. It's to do with the bitter tasting soluble compounds being more easily extracted from the ground coffee. If you grind too coarse, too low a temperature, not enough agitation, not enough liquid (free space for the coffee to move around) or don't leave it long enough you'll end up with a really sour tasting (as opposed to acidic) brew.

It takes a bit of faffing to get it right, but once you have your recipe nailed then its fairly repeatable.

There really is actual science behind it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.