Colin Bell RIP - Ian Cheeseman interview with Jon Bell (P142)

A true City and England legend. First City game was 73 so had the pleasure of seeing him live a few times (though not enough!)
Had the pleasure of meeting him when my dad arranged an impromptu tour of Maine Road.. Ken Barnes(bizarrely) showed us round.. King Colin, Joe Corrigan and Willie Donachie were being put through their paces on the pitch by the Physio (Freddie Griffiths??) kicking a Rugby Ball around.
Afterwards had a great picture taken of him with Joe Corrigan in the players tunnel, seemed (even to a star struck 9 year old) a very humble man.
A short while later actually 'spied' on him playing football in his garden with his kids when I found out he lived near some relatives in Hale Barns (think they call that stalking now!)
Part of a great City team and( as has been said many times )if he had not had that awful injury would have very probably made a very good City team of the mid/late 70s great also!

Started supporting the Blues around the time of The King signing from Bury. It was a great team with some outstanding players. Colin Bell wasn't outstanding! He was far better. What an engine!
What would they pay for him these days? Fabulous player. I'm writing this through misty eyes. RIP Nijinsky

So, so sad to hear this news. The best player when I became a City fan & will always be the first name I think of when I think of City. I'm so pleased to hear what a kind & humble man he was. On the pitch he was simply the best. RIP Colin & sincere condolences to his family.

The way the older guys feel now is how us 20 and 30 somethings will feel when our favourite players of today get old and pass away.

I remember davie Cooper dying of an aneurysm when he was only 39 in 1995. He was a rangers legend and it affected me even tho I was too young to have watched him for us. We don't know these guys personally but we have grown up idolising them in our formative years. That's a powerful connection and as this thread shows it lasts for many decades. So many guys and girls here old enough to have watched Colin play paying their respects.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.