comet Ison

-dabz-

For those who are interested-
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.space.com/17933-nasa-television-webcasts-live-space-tv.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.space.com/17933-nasa-televis ... ce-tv.html</a>

Should be visible at most latitudes since the earth rotates on it's axis once per day (so we all get the same view of the sun ... it's always sunrise somewhere on earth). I understand the half hour or so before sunrise it the best time to view it,

tangaroa said:
Should be visible at most latitudes since the earth rotates on it's axis once per day (so we all get the same view of the sun ... it's always sunrise somewhere on earth). I understand the half hour or so before sunrise it the best time to view it,
It might not be visible at all....the scientific community are torn between it getting destroyed by the sun or not.
That's why I put the link up. About six tonight we'll find out...keep watching!

A few weeks ago, I took my daughter, and the kids she looks after, to the Jodrell Bank visitors centre.

One of the demonstrations a member of staff made was related to the forthcoming Ison "visit", and she was asking the kids what they thought a comet was made of. She then "made" a "snowball" (comet) out of sand, water and dry ice, and then showed them what happened when it warmed up - bits breaking off, jets of "steam", large popping noises, etc, to simulate what would happen when it went round the sun.

She then explained where it came from and when it would be visible in the sky.

For a relatively difficult subject, she hit the right balance to keep the kids entertained.

A good day out.

RIP Comet ISON: Scientists Declare Famous 'Sungrazer' Dead After Sun Encounter
By Mike Wall, Senior Writer
Date: 11 December 2013 Time: 06:20 AM ET

SAN FRANCISCO — It's time to accept reality: Comet ISON is dead.
Comet ISON broke apart during its highly anticipated solar flyby on Nov. 28, emerging from behind the sun as a diffuse cloud of dust that has since all but dissipated in the darkness of deep space, scientists say.
"At this point, it seems like there's nothing left," comet expert Karl Battams, of the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory in Washington, D.C., said here today at the annual meeting of the American Geophysical Union. "Comet ISON is dead; its memory will live on."

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.