Community shield Post match thread

Feck me! When you have to resort to potentially winning a game based on your scouse sing-ability...times are really hard La!...

We woz robbed they say. Karma I say ;-)

I don't know.

They played their best team, bought on fresh legs en masse, and we played them without Sergio, and Sane - and we should have, by rights, won 3:0 or 3:1 if Sterling had managed to finish the two shots on goal...

Salah was allowed too much space too many times - and he is always a danger, he should have been marked better and shut down more, but, as it was, his lines into the penalty area were closed down and he was forced into awkward angles.

They outplayed us for much of the second half, the breaks we had were good, but miss-timed and we gave the ball away too many times. But we still pushed harder than they did and were unlucky with the breaks we had.

Is that five pre-season games they've lost now?

As i said, i think they put their best team out and City played at 80-90% (for whatever reason) with Sterling looking a tad rusty and Rodri looking lost from time to time. But also, in the back of everyone's mind would be keeping injuries down. i think we saw liverpool firing on all cylinders while City didn't capitalize on the chances they had.

i doubt we can use it as a yardstick for the new season - either in how City or LFC played, tbf.
That is a fair and reasoned account and exactly how I saw it too

A game of two halves. Aside from the ref doing his best to disrupt City in that second half, they did provide a good test. I think that game will have benefited both teams in their preparations for the coming season.

Liverpool perhaps shaded that second half through sheer effort(I wouldn't have said dominated as Tyler got giddy with), their fitness levels and pressing are the most impressive things about that Liverpool squad IMO. They weren't exactly cutting us open with their attacks though(aside from freekicks and counters) and we had chances to kill the game off with our own counters. Raz should have scored and KDB could have been in with a better ball from Jesus, after he skinned VVD. We also shouldn't forget that our pre-season has been more disruptive than Liverpool's, so I don't mind that our players were flagging a little more than theirs were(they made more changes also).

Salah nearly got lucky with the shot that hit the post but that was a punt, hitting the ball through some defenders rather than a proper chance and I think Bravo had the inside of the post covered. Other than that, most of their chances came from our own defenders giving away possession, not by Liverpool's design, I doubt their reliance on the counter attack will change under Klopp. When they did attack, they were simply knocking the ball into the box and we were clearing the ball to a red shirt far too often towards the end of the game. Their equalizer could have been avoided, it looked like Walker provided a flick-on in his own box, more care should have been taken. If in doubt head or kick it into touch.

Last edited:
We should have put the game to bed, failed to convert gilt edged chances and then were very nearly punished. But the winning mentality of the team is clear as day.

Thanks for the

No seriously ... what did he get wrong? You probably mean that 1 or 2 decisions you didn't agree with ... which makes him a dipper corrupt referee?
Indulge me .... what makes someone who signed up on 3/12/206 suddenly start posting today?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.