Comparisons - so what?

Gary James

Lots of people are prematurely comparing Utd 1999 with City 2023. I’d urge all Blues to avoid these sorts of meaningless debates. Even if City do pull off an amazing treble this week it’s not worth getting embroiled in a debate that is ridiculous.

To be frank you’ve got to be well in your 30s or above to even stand a chance of debating it and even then so what? I was somewhat frustrated that the post match phone ins after Wembley were all about comparing Utd 99 with City 23 instead of concentrating on how great City 23 is. I’ve posted an article saying why it’s pointless (yeah, I know. Even writing an article on why it’s pointless is pointless but I’ve had enough of it all). Some of what I say may be useful if you get embroiled in an argument.

Key thing to remember is that some keep going on about when Utd were winning their treble in 99 City were achieving promotion. Well guess what? 24 years before 99 Utd were achieving promotion.

Anyway, here’s the piece:

Something else I’ve written about recently is the span of success. City are second in this. Again, it’s a so what? But rival fans go on about a history of success, we’ll only 1 club has a longer span of success than City.

Lots of people are prematurely comparing Utd 1999 with City 2023. I’d urge all Blues to avoid these sorts of meaningless debates. Even if City do pull off an amazing treble this week it’s not worth getting embroiled in a debate that is ridiculous.

To be frank you’ve got to be well in your 30s or above to even stand a chance of debating it and even then so what? I was somewhat frustrated that the post match phone ins after Wembley were all about comparing Utd 99 with City 23 instead of concentrating on how great City 23 is. I’ve posted an article saying why it’s pointless (yeah, I know. Even writing an article on why it’s pointless is pointless but I’ve had enough of it all). Some of what I say may be useful if you get embroiled in an argument.

Key thing to remember is that some keep going on about when Utd were winning their treble in 99 City were achieving promotion. Well guess what? 24 years before 99 Utd were achieving promotion.

Anyway, here’s the piece:

Something else I’ve written about recently is the span of success. City are second in this. Again, it’s a so what? But rival fans go on about a history of success, we’ll only 1 club has a longer span of success than City.

Yes it pisses me off too and as you say pointless. It's just there is that much wall to wall sports coverage these days that I suppose they have to fill the space somehow. Nobody really cares except sad rags trying to prove theirs meant more or some such rubbish. Like yourself I don't like tempting fate either, we haven't won it yet.

The rags have nothing else left to cling onto. The 1999 treble was their greatest achievement.

It was all soooo last century, but they'll cling onto it like skintight zebra kecks.

Whether we win the treble on Saturday or not, there can be no doubt in anyone's mind that Manchester City are the greatest team of the 21st Century.

The rags have nothing else left to cling onto. The 1999 treble was their greatest achievement.

It was all soooo last century, but they'll cling onto it like skintight zebra kecks.

Whether we win the treble on Saturday or not, there can be no doubt in anyone's mind that Manchester City are the greatest team of the 21st Century.
Theyll continue to crow that we have to win it 3 times.
I just say that i was in my late 30s before i saw us win a trophy and im happy with a league cup each year as id accepted that i wouldnt see my beloved blues lift a trophy in my life time so everything's a bonus

Never the less , we are likely to win 3 before they win another :))

Their CL success was with only 5 wins out if 11 games in a smaller competition! YCMIU. A 45% win rate. The runners up had better than that. In fact they only qualified as runners up in our own league.

Their Premier League was won with a PALTRY ;-) 79 points FFS! Barely enough to guarantee Champions League football these days. Our 7 Premier Leagues have seen 100,98,93,89,89,86 and 86 points!

They won the FA Cup with home ties all the way and only scored 12 goals and needed 2 replays. We only conceded a single goal from a penalty!

There is simply is zero comparison!

Last edited:
Their CL success was with only 5 wins out if 11 games in a smaller competition! YCMIU. A 45% win rate. The runners up had better than that. In fact they only qualified as runners up in our own league.

Their Premier League was won with a poultry 79 points FFS! Barely enough to guarantee Champions League football these days. Our 7 Premier Leagues have seen 100,98,93,89,89,86 and 86 points!

They won the FA Cup with home ties all the way and inly scored 12 goals and needed 2 replays. We only conceded a single goal from a penalty!

There is simply is zero comparison!

It's like comparing ducks and chickens...

:)

Once relevant team trying to be relevant again, needy fans wanting to be seen. They can moan all they like, but come Saturday night/Sunday morning, this City team could surpass any of their needy cries.

There is no comparison.....because if we do pull off this treble it will have pissed all over their efforts.....our journey could not have been harder,while theirs was littered with luck,good fortune,and inferior opposition.,

They have been dining out on that success for far too long,Saturday will hopefully ensure their stuffy achievement is confined to history and that we stand alone as the greatest team in the history of English football.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.