Confused about the 25 player rule

Interestingly this is supposedly why Liverpool have been snapping up a few youngsters lately, Jonjo Shelvey, Mark Wilson even Joe Cole so that they can conform with the new rules.

Project said:
Nah, you get to play your squad as you see fit until September 1st.

And the idea of carrying players just for cup games is ludicrous.

Is it though? How many games would we be playing in if we got to the semi finals of all three cup competitions? (which let's face it we should be expecting to do with our current squad).

The fact is that having that extra quality by hanging on to one or two players on the fringes of the squad could really pay dividends when the fixture list becomes congested as few other teams would have the financial muscle to do the same.

Take someone like Pablo Zabaletta for example - good player and very versatile but we have NDJ, Kompany, Yaya Toure and Barry who can play the same or similar roles in midfield. Turning to defence we have Boateng, Onuha and Richards who can play on the right, two of whom are English and home grown.

Rather than sell him on the cheap or loan him to recoup his wages (which in the scheme of things will not be huge) why not name him for the Europa squad but not for Premier League squad and use him in the cup competitions? He is still good enough to play in those competitions but it allows us to rest the likes of Yaya and NDJ so they can concentrate on the premier league and avoid extra yellow cards in the cups that could lead to premier league bans.

Wikipedia's list seems more up to date than that on mcfc.co.uk....

1 Republic of Ireland GK Shay Given (vice-captain)
2 England DF Micah Richards
3 England DF Wayne Bridge
4 England DF Nedum Onuoha
5 Argentina DF Pablo Zabaleta
6 England MF Michael Johnson
7 Republic of Ireland MF Stephen Ireland
8 England MF Shaun Wright-Phillips
11 England MF Adam Johnson
12 England GK Stuart Taylor
14 Paraguay FW Roque Santa Cruz
15 Spain DF Javier Garrido
17 Germany DF Jérôme Boateng
18 England MF Gareth Barry
19 England DF Joleon Lescott
20 Ecuador FW Felipe Caicedo
21 Spain MF David Silva
24 France MF Patrick Vieira
25 Togo FW Emmanuel Adebayor
26 Colombia GK David González
28 Côte d'Ivoire DF Kolo Touré (captain)
29 Nigeria MF Kelvin Etuhu
30 England DF Shaleum Logan
32 Argentina FW Carlos Tévez
33 Belgium MF Vincent Kompany
34 Netherlands MF Nigel de Jong
36 England DF Javan Vidal
39 Wales FW Craig Bellamy
40 Slovakia MF Vladimír Weiss
42 Côte d'Ivoire MF Yaya Touré
44 Belgium DF Dedryck Boyata
45 Republic of Ireland DF Greg Cunningham
48 Norway MF Abdisalam Ibrahim
52 England FW Alex Nimely
— England GK Joe Hart
— Brazil FW Jô
— Serbia DF Aleksandar Kolarov

The minimum 8 trained in England rule covers Richards, Bridge, Michael Johnson, Onouha, Ireland, SWP, Adam Johnson, Taylor, Barry, Lescott, Etuhu, Logan, Vidal, Bellamy, Weiss, Cunningham, Nimely, Hart, and possibly Boyata and Ibrahim (depends on defining trained).

Foreign players certs for the squad are Given, Zabaleta, Boateng, Silva, Vieira, Adebayor, Toure, Toure, Tevez, Kompany, de Jong, Kolarov. Then Garrido and Santa Cruz. Jo maybe. Total 15.

There's obviously at least 8 in the top list who will be in the squad - Richards, Bridge, Onouha, Ireland, SWP, Adam Johnson, Taylor, Barry, Lescott, Etuhu, Bellamy, Hart, Boyata and Ibrahim. Total 14.

So (unless the lists for PL and Europe are different) 4 other names to leave out, but can be from either list. Adjust for more ins and outs...

Ok so the squad to make 25 players from so far is...

1. Given
2. Hart
3. Gonzalez
4. Nielsen - out on loan til jan 2011

Defenders

5. Kolo
6. Richards
7. Onuoha
8. Bridge
9. Boateng
10. Lescott
11. Zabaleta
12. Kolarov
13. Logan
14. Kompany
15. Garrido

Midfielders

16. Adam Johnson
17. Michael Jonson
18. Silva
19. Yaya
20. Viera
21. De jong
22. Ireland
23. SWP
24. Etuhu
20. Barry

Strikers

21. Bellamy
22. Robinho
23. Tevez
24. Adabayor
25. Jo
26. RSC

I've not included any 21 or unders as they don't count (as far as i'm aware, as long as the player is 21 at the start of the season they don't count in the registered 25).

So as you can see, we make the 25 as Neilsen is out on loan already...

Now when you look at it like that, you can still see some glaring weaknesses in the squad...

3 goalies - we know thats set.
Both Given and Hart will count as home grown as they trained in this country for 3 years before they were 21 (Given was at Blackburn from 94 so I think he must have been about 18 when he joined them) So thats 2.

Defenders.
I can see Logan and Garrido moved out either on loan or permanent, that would take us down to 23 to be registered.
Add 4 more home growns (Lescott, Richards, Onuoha and Bridge) takes us to 6.

Midfielders
Etuhu is the glaring weakness in there and I expect him to be moved out to. Nothing against the kid, I just don't think he's good enough. Takes us down to 22 registered and 9 midfielders in the squad.
Add 5 more home growns (2 x Johnson, Barry, Swp and Ireland) takes us past the 8 mark to 11 players.

Strikers...
Robinho, Jo and possibly RSC to be cut from the squad. (caicedo is 21 and doesn't count though I expect him to go to) leaving us with 19 players to be registered! Which doesn't sound a lot really! I expect RSC to stay though if we don't sign another striker... and if he's not fit to be sold!
That would leave us with 3 senior strikers...

So 19/20 registered players - we're gonna be well within the mark, If we sign Balotelli then he wont count for a few seasons either as he's u21!

So if we want, I reckon we've got enough room to sign 5 more players, crazy when you think about the squad we've got already! Talk about strength in depth!!! Lets just hope we gel well!

I've also just realised Boateng is 21 to! so thats 18/19 registered by my reckoning...

Am I right in thinking that the 21's don't count?

Its not complicated or confusing

25 man squad as we stand will be the following:

Given
Hart
Taylor
Garrido
Kompany
Lescott
Kolarov
Zabaleta
Bridge
Onuoha
Richards
Kolo
Barry
SWP
Ireland
De jong
Vieira
Yaya
Silva
Michael Jonson
Adam Johnson
RSC
Adabayor
Tevez
Bellamy

of which 13 are english trained & 6 mcfc trained.

no room for the following:

Robinho
Jo
Etuhu
Logan
Gonzalez

so sell sell sell!

all the rest are 21 or under as of 1st september 2010

Ibrahim
Weiss
Boyata
Mee
Boateng
Cunningham
etc........................

Nielsen has loan deal arranged

Thanks for that, I was starting to believe the media hype about the fire sale!
I know where waded but would hate to see good players go cheap i.e.
bellamy to spuds or 4 mill

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.