Convicted prisoners to get the vote

Pigeonho said:
Could it not be a case that you can vote from prison, depending on the crime you are serving time for?
Scenario 1:
A regular bod like our good selves finds themselves in a situation where you are facing prison for defending your own property. You have smacked the burglar in the face but he's gone down like a sack of shit, give himself a bit of brain damage and you've been done for GBH with a 3 month sentence. During this sentence its voting day. You should get the right to vote.

Scenario 2:
Old Doris has refused to pay her Council Tax for the last 5 years running. This year enough is enough and the magistrate has given her a 2 week sentence. During those 2 weeks its voting day. Doris should get the right to vote.

Scenario 3: Ian Huntley takes the lives of 2 innocent, beautiful little girls. As he does that he takes away their human rights, thus removing their right to vote in the process. Ian Huntely should not get the right to vote.

See what I mean?

Old Doris on my street shoplifts kippers and spends hours moulding caramels around razor blades which she distributes on Halloween. She once told me she votes LibDem.

The worst thing is they will all vote. They got nothing better to do. Worse than that they will all vote liberal.

You know the lib dems will canvas the prisons promising them rewards instead of punishments and they'll all go and vote for something to do

At least the scumbags on the outside can't be bothered to actually vote and influence anything in this country!

Sort of depends on whether you consider the chance to vote to be a right or a privilege.

(1) If you consider it a right, then anyone should be able to vote. Simple as.

(2) If you consider it a privilege, then certain criminals (who have committed certain crimes at one point, and are at the time of voting in prison) should surely be allowed to have this privilege removed.

The Human Rights Act is a law based on the moral majority that states anyone has the right to vote. Therefore (1) is the only possible legal result, whatever you opinion (justified or not) may be.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.