Copa America 2016 (Final: Argentina vs Chile - 27/06/16 @01:00 - pg32)

Of course I'm gutted for Otamendi and Aguero, but I'm absolutely devastated for Messi. You just keep wondering when someone else on his team is going to step forward and help him win an international trophy. Sergio was very close is extra time...Bravo had a great save. But, I just can't get over Messi being runner-up 3 years on the trot. It's just not right.

Just goes on to prouve that as good as Messi is, he still is half the player Maradona and Zidane were.
They had that amazing ability to deliver the goods in big international games no matter how bad or average their teammates were. They would never have bottled four finals in a raw.

Just goes on to prouve that as good as Messi is, he still is half the player Maradona and Zidane were.
They had that amazing ability to deliver the goods in big international games no matter how bad or average their teammates were. They would never have bottled four finals in a raw.
Zidane was hardly surrounded by average players, quite the opposite in reality. I think its way off to say Messi is half the player of those. Messi has consistently done it at the highest level in club football for over a decade now and you can easily argue that champions league and la liga are a heck of a lot better standard than copa america. No debating how good Zidane and Diego were, but to say that about Messi is redilulous in my opinion.

If Messi wins those 3 finals (2 on PKs) then you'd be saying otherwise about him vs Zidane. I don't think he has to prove anything. Even today I felt he had a great game. The quality in club football is much much better than international football considering the amount of time the group is together. Mind you Maradona has won a single international trophy.

Mind you Maradona has won a single international trophy.

I tell you what, i have witnessed how Maradona's era was ten time tougher than nowadays.
Defenders were flying-in with off-the-ground-tackles from left right and center without seing the shadow of a yellow card.
Do i have to remind you of the almost career ending injury he suffered with Barca, resulting of him being left of competition for one whole and a half year and carrying that ankle injury throughout the rest of his career.
Top branded players are over protected by referees nowadays, you can't even make a fair shoulder challenge to the likes of Messi or Tranny without risking being carded.
Basicaly, these two have a license to kill while modern defenders are under a restraining order.
Maradona would thrive in modern footy while i doubt Messi would last a whole 45 minutes in the 80s.

I tell you what, i have witnessed how Maradona's era was ten time tougher than nowadays.
Defenders were flying-in with off-the-ground-tackles from left right and center without seing the shadow of a yellow card.
Do i have to remind you of the almost career ending injury he suffered with Barca, resulting of him being left of competition for one whole and a half year and carrying that ankle injury throughout the rest of his career.
Top branded players are over protected by referees nowadays, you can't even make a fair shoulder challenge to the likes of Messi or Tranny without risking being carded.
Basicaly, these two have a license to kill while modern defenders are under a restraining order.
Maradona would thrive in modern footy while i doubt Messi would last a whole 45 minutes in the 80s.
So just because players get protection these days (and rightly so) they cannot ever be compared to the likes of Maradonna? Messi is a true great of the game and i cannot see any arguement to say anything else. So was Maradonna. Both from different eras and both absolute world greats.

Maradona wouldn't make it past the first drug test mate.

Its a double edged sword, you have better protection from refs but you also have much better energy levels, much more tactical nous and a lot of defending as a team compared to before.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.