Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter's hospital hasn't had an 80+ patient admitted with Covid for 2 weeks now.
To suggest vaccinations are not working is balderdash.
For the avoidance of doubt I'm not suggesting that - quite the opposite.

I also think that the vaccine programme is having an effect on transmission but not by as much as the lockdown. We may find out over the next few weeks but if the vaccine programme is preventing symptoms in most infected people we may not as they may not get tested.

Could this be linked to school returning?

I think the youngest kids went back a couple of weeks ago & there's been some 'phased' older ones going back since.

I'm sure our Scottish posters could confirm dates etc.
Yes 4 to 7year olds went back 2 weeks ago also front line workers kids have been in school same as in England

We can’t stay locked up for ever
Well the vulnerable will have to be or take the gamble of death. fwiw i actually don't want others to be locked up forever, people need to be out but when i hear people saying things like "people will die, we have to accept it" then i just want to smack em in the mouth. There are millions who will have to take that gamble one day, i know i will take it as like you said we can't stay locked up forever because it's no life. The flippancy of some angers me though, i can't help it.

My answer to that would be that that is an almost certainty. Hospital admissions will drop. What we should do is vast amounts of genomic testing and get to grips not with the the prevalence of the Kent variant (that is doomed) but what is the R rate of the variants. Are they growing? What type of illness can they cause in vaccinated people and what is the threat posed by future mutations in those variants. The short term prognosis is good but no one seems to have a good handle on the threat posed by variant strains. I am not forecasting doom, I am suggesting we avoid a growing epidemic to mitigate risk whilst uncertainty exists.

What the experts are now telling us is that we should shift focus from the new cases to hospitalisations but I would say we need to watch and understand what is happening to the virus now. What happens to it now, and its potential will imapct on us months later. We knew about the Kent variant in October. It was a couple of months later when it began to sweep the UK.

We need to learn. Until we understand something the best course of action is conservatism and caution. What I am hearing this morning implies that we will be content with a growing epidemic as long as hospitaloisation doesn't rise. But if you find we have a problem with UK variant no 2 it will be too late. Better to keep a cap on it until we know its potential.

Let’s just sack any kind of social interaction off for the rest of our lives in case a virus appears and causes harm then. Very much doubt this will be the last worrying virus in our lifetimes, do you suggest we live like this forever just in case?

So nice of you to accept the deaths of the old and vulnerable. Im clinically extremely vulnerable and if the vaccine fails to keep me alive at least i'll know you'll be in the pub.

That’s terrible and I’m sorry that is the case for you, but what do you want to happen once the clinically vulnerable have all had their 2nd jab and for some reason it isn’t as effective as they hoped? Remain locked down?

England hospital deaths :

By region:- 26, London, 21 Midlands, 18 South West, 13 NE & Yorks, 9 East. 9 South East, 5 North West

The very high level of backdating (a third well over a month old) again adds a lot in the South West so is the continuation of that audit redefining old deaths we were told about last week. Some of these will be discounted from the 28 day total later I suspect.

16 - the most - were in Dorset hospital. 13 in Kingston. Two hospitals that rarely get a mention for high numbers in normal day to day events.

The 5 in the North West were 3 in Salford Royal, 1 in Chester and 1 in Warrington General. But few places in the area register on Sundays.

That’s terrible and I’m sorry that is the case for you, but what do you want to happen once the clinically vulnerable have all had their 2nd jab and for some reason it isn’t as effective as they hoped? Remain locked down?

Exactly mate. We need to lock down the entire world until there is not a single trace of any potentially harmful disease, or indeed any potential as yet undiscovered or not yet extant versions of these diseases. Gotta protect the vulnerable and the NHS. Hands face space and all that.

Well the vulnerable will have to be or take the gamble of death. fwiw i actually don't want others to be locked up forever, people need to be out but when i hear people saying things like "people will die, we have to accept it" then i just want to smack em in the mouth. There are millions who will have to take that gamble one day, i know i will take it as like you said we can't stay locked up forever because it's no life. The flippancy of some angers me though, i can't help it.
Hopefully mate the vaccines will at least mitigate how severe an illness the vulnerable have when contracting the virus. I think that’s where our best hopes lie.

101 England hospital deaths by age:

20 - 39 (1) 0.9%

40 - 59 (10) 10.0%

60 - 79 (40) 39.6%

80 PLUS (50) 49.5%

I think Chris witty has said this people will die

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.