Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Genuinely think 2022 looks quite promising, weirdly.
Me too.Always the risk of another (worse) variant unless we really get the world vaccinated but I think this may be the last serious hurrah of Covid and I trust science to see us through any more scares as humnity builds up its immunity day by day.

The end game always was humans living with Covid 19 as we do with the rest of its family. We are not yet certain but the signs so far is that Omicron might accelerate not slow down that day with minimal damage.

Probably how this was always going to end. May be another twist to come but I think we are getting there as even if this turns out to be worse than it looks we will learn from it for next time and have better natural immunity and treatments for whatever comes next.

Last edited:
Not sure why people are saying the hospital numbers are not going up. I posted the London data earlier to show they are quite a bit

London IS where Omicron hit first and hardest.

North West looks to be next and will go up more than it already is.

But the numbers are not looking like they will be huge.

More importantly they often do not come all at once. In Delta NW took it first. Other regions followed on.This meant the numbers were going up somewhere when others were falling.

Omicron might be faster as the spread might be. But right now Yorkshire is falling as North West is rising and they are side by side geographically. But Yorkshire's turn will come Likely as NW has fallen.

THis helps smooth out the waves so far. Hopefully Omicron is not that different.

The key will be what is happening in N Ireland. Hospital numbers fallimg mostly as the patients are young and do not stay weeks in hospital just days. So overall numbers do not shoot up as they do if dozens go in each day and then stay weeks as they did pre vaccine. The very low numbers over 60 catching Covid due to the vaccinations is the key to why this is happening. The boosters are working so far.

Last edited:
Me too.Always the risk of another (worse) variant unless we really get the world vaccinated but I think this may be the last serious hurrah of Covid and I trust science to see us through any more scares as humnity builds up its immunity day by day.

The end game always was humans living with Covid 19 as we do with the rest of its family. We are not yet certain but the signs so far is that Omicron might accelerate not slow down that day with minimal damage.

Probably how this was always going to end. May be another twist to come but I think we are getting there as even if this turs out to be worse than it looks we will learn from it for next time and hae better natura immunity and treatments for whatever comes next.

Surely the only real progress to made next year should be to globally assist/push the developing countries with ultra low vaccination levels in order to minimise the creation of another pertinent variant which would eventually spread to the rest of the world similar to Omicron.

Its all good & well getting our vaccination levels up for the short term but it maybe the same story in Nov & Dec next year where we need to boost our efficacy levels due to a new variant cropping up on the other side of the world & again have multiple disruptions leading up to this since it’s impossible to stop the spread of a new variant globally once it’s been created & evolved.

8 of my friends and colleagues have tested positive… all have a sore throat and little cough… all fine otherwise different ages etc, no idea about vaccinations tho.. seems worth locking the country down for that.
Read today 25% of people admitted to hospital for covid went in because of something else other than covid, they just happened to also have it but are not ill from it.
More like 50% i seen today

Surely the only real progress to made next year should be to globally assist/push the developing countries with ultra low vaccination levels in order to minimise the creation of another pertinent variant which would eventually spread to the rest of the world similar to Omicron.

Its all good & well getting our vaccination levels up for the short term but it maybe the same story in Nov & Dec next year where we need to boost our efficacy levels due to a new variant cropping up on the other side of the world & again have multiple disruptions leading up to this since it’s impossible to stop the spread of a new variant globally once it’s been created & evolved.
Someone from WHO was on the news earlier saying that progress here was increasing as Omicron seems to have made a few nations see the future clearer than mere words could. Hope so.

More like 50% i seen today
This is exactly what South Africa have been reporting for weeks and a London hospital announced was happening last week. You fall off a tram outside the Central Library. Go in. Get tested. All patients do. They fix your broken leg. But you have Covid too so get listed. Go home to rest a few days later. And are a short stay Covid patient who was never bothered by Covid and likely never would have known but for the tram.

It could be that omicron has infected a certain group of people (school children and their parents, for example) and it could take another few weeks before we see it take hold of the more vulnerable of the population.

Or this could be all omicron is… a much milder strain. Which is what happened with Spanish flu last century.
What, like the South Africans have been saying for weeks….

This is exactly what South Africa have been reporting for weeks and a London hospital announced was happening last week. You fall off a tram outside the Central Library. Go in. Get tested. All patients do. They fix your broken leg. But you have Covid too so get listed. Go home to rest a few days later. And are a short stay Covid patient who was never bothered by Covid and likely never would have known but for the tram.
Presumably it wouldn’t be that difficult to produce a hospital admission series which is adjusted for this sort of thing (just divide the data by one of the mobility series which have emerged during the pandemic), as well as the normal seasonal variation in hospital admissions.

Given the importance the government is placing on the admissions data they must have done this work already, but it would probably be helpful to publish it given the disruption the uncertainty is causing across the hospitality sector. Presumably more cost effective as well given today’s latest cash package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.