Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the reasons we approved it. And agree with them. And if and when I get called soon and it is the AZ as it is very likely to be I will have it too. Without quibble.

But this can very easily be manipulated into outrage and scandal that will damage the roll out.

There are plenty out there eager to put saving lives second to scoring points and political aspiration. Or even just a day of fame.

Very quick comment on the German over 65s story.

1. Not a surprise, and same approach taken by FDA in the US (actually FDA more stringent still and haven't approved in younger people either yet).

2. Problem is NOT that efficacy shown to be low but that insufficient older people in the dataset to show either way. Additional trial is being run to address the data gap.

3. Not a concern scientifically: the UK justification was
(i) Good efficacy shown in other age groups
(ii) Excellent immune response measured in older people, equivalent to that in younger, and as good (actually better IIRC) than Pfizer. Efficacy comes from immune response.

MHRA and several other authorities worldwide believe this shows sufficient benefit/ risk to approve. EMA/FDA require formal efficacy data.

Regulatory agencies taking different views on this sort of issue is not unusual.

Main issue is communication for people elsewhere taking the jab, not the decision itself.

My parents are due for vaccination today, based on all of this I'm delighted whichever they get.

As ever, cheers. Very easy to panic people this stuff!

1. Not a surprise, and same approach taken by FDA in the US (actually FDA more stringent still and haven't approved in younger people either yet).

2. Problem is NOT that efficacy shown to be low but that insufficient older people in the dataset to show either way. Additional trial is being run to address the data gap.

(ii) Excellent immune response measured in older people, equivalent to that in younger, and as good (actually better IIRC) than Pfizer. Efficacy comes from immune response.

MHRA and several other authorities worldwide believe this shows sufficient benefit/ risk to approve. EMA/FDA require formal efficacy data.

Regulatory agencies taking different views on this sort of issue is not unusual.

Main issue is communication for people elsewhere taking the jab, not the decision itself.

My parents are due for vaccination today, based on all of this I'm delighted whichever they get.

Good post.

Once we started equating vaccination speed numbers to a dick measuring contest, this was always going to happen.

Noses are out of joint.

Fuck 'em. We crack on. Nobody should doubt the excellence of our Oxford-based scientists, the Astra Zeneca vaccine is just the job.

My cynical self also suggests the AZ negativity has really ramped up in the last few weeks, nothing to do at all with it also being the cheapest available to buy to much poorer countries...

Nice one fella. Great contribution again.

England hospitals deaths sadly up quite a bit. And NW even more.

907 - up from 789 last week. Biggest daily week to week jump in some days of better data.

This is always one of the two worst days and it is down on yesterday's 973 but still higher than I hoped.

And the NW split (also often up as lower weekend data reporting on NW is common) is now worryingly increasing. Though slightly down on yesterday at 121.

Seems we are not quite yet at that peak of deaths. Which as we know will always be the last number to change.

I have to say that those people who can be vaccinated but choose not to be can fuck right off as far as I’m concerned. I reckon the final take up of eligible adults will be around 70% and that hopefully will mean those people either won’t get it or will only have mild symptoms if they do get it.

The unvaccinated by choice will have to take their chances. If they become seriously ill or die then that’s the gamble.

I have to say that those people who can be vaccinated but choose not to be can fuck right off as far as I’m concerned. I reckon the final take up of eligible adults will be around 70% and that hopefully will mean those people either won’t get it or will only have mild symptoms if they do get it.

The unvaccinated by choice will have to take their chances. If they become seriously ill or die then that’s the gamble.
Agreed - especially considering there is a high probability that you will become less transmissible after being vaccinated - if there are no underlying medical reasons to have a vaccine then we all have a duty to each other to get the jab

Once we started equating vaccination speed numbers to a dick measuring contest, this was always going to happen.

Noses are out of joint.

Fuck 'em. We crack on. Nobody should doubt the excellence of our Oxford-based scientists, the Astra Zeneca vaccine is just the job.

My cynical self also suggests the AZ negativity has really ramped up in the last few weeks, nothing to do at all with it also being the cheapest available to buy to much poorer countries...

Can’t disagree with that , just feel sorry for the medical staff who will still be dealing with it through other peoples stupidity and ignorance .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.