Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
1/3 of the people admitted to hospital due to covid to date were admitted in January. Thank fuck they came to their senses and reduced xmas mixing from 5 to 1 day.

This is why the SA variant is important...

Skelly et al. Preprint.

Vaccine-induced immunity provides more robust heterotypic immunity than natural infection to emerging SARS-CoV-2 variants of concern.

Our data confirm that VOC, particularly those with substitutions at residues 484 and 417 escape neutralization by antibodies directed to the ACE2-binding Class 1 and the adjacent Class 2 epitopes but are susceptible to neutralization by the generally less potent antibodies directed to Class 3 and 4 epitopes on the flanks RBD.

In other words the SA variant escapes 2 important antibody reactions induced by vaccination.

It does however generate a strong T cell response.

Regional England hospital data

P (Patients) V (Ventilated) up /down v last Thursday

East P down 175 to 2262 (v 3052) // V down 24 to 221 (v 290)

London
P down 200 to 4079 (v 5212) // V down 17 to 888 (v 1032)

Midlands P Down 237 to 4021 (v 4986) // V down 27 to 530 (v 629)

NE & Yorks P Down 30 to 2817 (v 3255) // V up 6 to 308 (v 322)

North West P Down 84 to 2916 (v 3557) // V down 16 to 326 (v 364)

South East P Down 121 to 2710 (v 3632) // V down 10 to 354 (v 443)

South West P Down 96 to 1178 (v 1276) // V down 4 to 153 (v 195)

As with all the other parts of the UK hospital numbers all going the right way but as with its cases the North West - whilst falling - not quite doing so on pace with the others.

Sometime today the 4 millionth person in the UK will have tested positive for Covid.

The number from yesterdays data sits at 3, 998, 655 right now.

This is why the SA variant is important...

Skelly et al. Preprint.

Vaccine-induced immunity provides more robust heterotypic immunity than natural infection to emerging SARS-CoV-2 variants of concern.

Our data confirm that VOC, particularly those with substitutions at residues 484 and 417 escape neutralization by antibodies directed to the ACE2-binding Class 1 and the adjacent Class 2 epitopes but are susceptible to neutralization by the generally less potent antibodies directed to Class 3 and 4 epitopes on the flanks RBD.

In other words the SA variant escapes 2 important antibody reactions induced by vaccination.

It does however generate a strong T cell response.
So the vaccine works on the SA variant?

I think it safe to assume, that the mention of a bus, is an example, and not to be taken literally
Just had a text to book my first shot. I'm 66 with no pre existing conditions and I'm in at Clarendon Leisure Centre on Monday morning.

I'm extremely pleased with this.
I got a similar text this morning I’m 67 and like you no vulnerability, am going tomorrow afternoon in York

Thanks for all you efforts, much appreciated..can I ask, is that Covid deaths or total deaths ?? As I understand it, any person who gets Covid and dies within 4 weeks from whatever cause, is included in the stats. So if Covid only deaths, the figures may reflect things from 4 weeks ago and are in fact likely to be much better today. Does that make sense ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.