Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least as long as people who catch Covid so at least 6 months in the vast majority of cases. How much longer than 6 months is uncertain. Last night’s Channel 4 News showed another surge in cases in Bergamo in Italy, further underlining that “herd immunity” without vaccination isn’t achievable.
The only real difference between vaccination and infection as I understand it is that some infections maybe too slight for the body to acquire longer-lasting immunity. Mutation is an issue at the moment. I think the UK has seen the worst but the exit is going to drag on until the Autumn because only then are likely to have a truly effective vaccine. It doesn't look like the variants are true vaccine evaders just yet but they are moving that way Reuters update on variants and vaccines.

Not strictly true as I know.

AZ is a minimum of five years whilst Pfizer is slightly less at four and a half years.
Obviously nobody can know this other than expectation as even those who had the vaccines in trial have had it under a year. But it might prove to be true.

What they do know though is that antibodies are present in those who had it 3 or 4 months ago at the start of the vaccination programme here - so it seems reasonable that we can say that long and likely more. There as yet seems little sign that these numbers wane fast.

I do not think anybody expects this to be a one shot and out solution as the virus has shown itself adept at mutating into strains that get around barriers. Largely as it is so infectious it gets millions of goes at hitting on a winning lottery ticket. And any that infect more easily and thrive then survive by natural selection. The variant first identified in Kent that sent the Southern UK rates skyrocketing in December is now dominant across Europe (hence their new lockdowns springing up as they are way behind in vaccinating to be ahead of the wave) and others will emerge.

Quite likely some degree of protection will remain even to new ones but it is equally probable that an annual booster jab for the vulnerable will be happening around September/October this year and possibly every year alongside the flu jabs for the ones who are in the priority groups as now. And likely on sale for about £10 to anyone else at Boots like the flu jabs are also. Just to protect over coming winters from the latest variants that have emerged in past months.

This is exactly what happens with the Winter flu jab already. We base it on the new versions that emerged in the Summer where in Australia and other Southern Hemisphere countries they have already had their winter so they know what new variants of flu appeared in that time.

Last edited:
Obviously nobody can know this as even those who had the vaccines in trial have had it under a year.

What they do know though is that antibodies are present in those who had it 3 or 4 months ago at the start of the vaccination programme here - so it seems reasonable that we can say that long and likely more. There as yet seems little sign that these numbers wane fast.

I do not think anybody expects this to be a one shot and out solution as the virus has shown itself adept at mutating into strains that get around barriers. The variant first identified in Kent that sent the Southern UK rates skyrocketing in December is now dominant across Europe (hence theur new lockdowns as they are way behind in vaccinating) and others will emerge.

Quite likely some degree of protection will remain even to new ones but it is equally probable that an annual booster jab for the vulnerable will be happening around September/October this year and possibly every year alongside the flu jabs for the ones who are in the priority groups as now. And likely on sale for about £10 to anyone else at Boots like the flu jabs are also. Just to protect over coming winters from the latest variants that have emerged in past months.

This is exactly what happens with the Winter flu jab already. We base it on the new versions that emerged in the Summer where in Australia and other Southern Hemisphere countries they have already hd their winter so they know what new variants if flu appeared in that time.
I’m sure some bright spark will manage to get the covid vaccine booster rolled into the same vial as the flu jab too, just to make it all simpler.

A uk government insider says its extremely unlikely that Britons will be taking foreign holidays this summer..this is really going to hurt people..

I’m sure some bright spark will manage to get the covid vaccine booster rolled into the same vial as the flu jab too, just to make it all simpler.
They have been looking into that possibility at the same time as whether they can intermix different vaccines so you do not have to have the same one as in your previous shots.

No word yet on how likely that is and it seems a bit optimistic that will be ready for this year. Maybe 2022. But they are planning to rejab the vulnerable with variant tweaked versions in the autumn.

Obviously if they can do it alongside flu it would help. There is precedent as they often give you the flu and pneumonia jabs in each arm in one visit if you are in need of a pneumonia booster (unlike flu these are not annual - just when needed). Again I would think it is optimistic to expect that this year. But if they can avoid two big vaccination drives this autumn/winter they will as they are bound to think it might lead to vaccine fatigue by the time the flu jabs are due and we end up with low Covid and yet a big 2021/22 flu outbreak still overwhelming the NHS.

I actually think it is a good thing if we can only take UK holidays this year. We should be helping our own economy recover not boosting the coffers in countries that have spent all Winter blaming us for all their own mistakes. They are still going on about the British variant creating their new waves. And the dodgy/no brilliant/um no dodgy/ um no brilliant British vaccine causing anti vaccine thoughts in their people.

Summer 2021 should be built around getting our own seaside towns and country retreats and major cities back on track. Nobody going to Benidorm in July will save jobs in Blackpool or Brighton.

I bet there will be a big stay at home discount scheme and campaign too.

I actually think it is a good thing if we can only take UK holidays this year. We should be helping our own economy recover not boosting the coffers in countries that have spent all Winter blaming us for all their own mistakes. They are still going on about the British variant creating their new waves. And the dodgy/no brilliant/um no dodgy/ um no brilliant British vaccine causing anti vaccine thoughts in their people.

Summer 2021 should be built around getting our own seaside towns and country retreats and major cities back on track. Nobody going to Benidorm in July will save jobs in Blackpool or Brighton.

I bet there will be a big stay at home discount scheme and campaign too.
I agree. I know there will be a knock on effect for the travel industry etc, however I think the best way forward would just be some nice clear messaging from the government that our borders are shut for the year, suck it up and deal with it, you aren’t going on foreign holidays in 2021. Get our own house in order and let the rest sort their shit too without the risk of bringing variants back into the country and setting us back. Sick to fucking death of this virus and if we keep fannying around we aren’t getting shut of it any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.