Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Frankfurt had loads of ppl arriving from India etc and asking for a single ticket to uk. Did nobody there cotton on? Of course they did. Did they connive, encourage, shrug their shoulders? Not our problem, mate, send them on. Lots of things they could have done to stop the arrivals in the first place.
Did they tell UK authorities?
I may be being cynical, but there was a disgraceful nationalistic streak to behaviour or both Germany and France re vaccines.
We've seen precious little co- operation since Brexit.

Our own govt knew exactly what was going on.

And left India off hotel quarantine for weeks after imposing on others in similar circumstances. Because of a planned visit by Johnson.

Blaming the Germans is really quite remarkable.

Well, Frankfurt had loads of ppl arriving from India etc and asking for a single ticket to uk. Did nobody there cotton on? Of course they did. Did they connive, encourage, shrug their shoulders? Not our problem, mate, send them on. Lots of things they could have done to stop the arrivals in the first place.
Did they tell UK authorities?
I may be being cynical, but there was a disgraceful nationalistic streak to behaviour of both Germany and France re vaccines.
We've seen precious little co- operation since Brexit.

Oh the irony. You accuse Germany and france of being nationalist yet what the fuck was Brexit about?
We reap what we sow sadly.

Two points. I said excess deaths as a measure, as that smooths our differences in how countries record covid 19 deaths. If you recall the UK removed some Covid deaths from the measure and treated them as non Covid deaths. Belgium used a more elastic definition in recording Covid deaths.

That said, while we did have the most excess deaths per capita in June 2020 that was overtaken by year end. From the ONS

When looking at 2020, the UK ended the year neither the highest nor lowest in Europe for cumulative excess mortality, but this masks different patterns for the two waves.

The UK had among the highest excess mortality rates for people aged under 65 years; by 18 December it had the second highest cumulative excess mortality rate for this age group, behind Bulgaria.

For those aged under 65 years, the UK had the second highest peak in weekly excess mortality rates across the year, at 62.7% above the five-year average during week ending 24 April, second to Bulgaria at 108.5% during week ending 27 November.’

Second point re vaccinations. I said Europe is vaxing at a higher (daily) rate than the UK with Germany hitting a million a day. This does not mean they have caught up with the UK as we started earlier, but it does mean there will be only a matter of weeks between the UK and countries like Germany, France et al completing their programs.

Against this is the background, rightly or wrongly, of European countries keeping their economies more open than ours. They are likely to remove travel restrictions earlier than us. There is little point in lauding our vaccine rollout if we end up keeping the UK locked down longer than anyone else because we needlessly exposed ourselves to a variant. Finally, you will note the UK still has the highest death toll in Europe.

This is in the context of trying to absolve the Govt of errors by claiming the EU vaccine was ‘the biggest farce’. It was definitely a farce, although European countries still sent some 20m doses to the UK in the early months, but that was resolved by the second quarter of this year and is now motoring along nicely.

I started to answer you but then decided life is too short.

Northern Ireland - 694 positive tests last 7 days by age.

0 - 19 (229) 33.1%

20 - 39 ( 323) 46.5%

40 - 59 ( 109) 15.7%

60 - 79 (30) 4.3%

80 PLUS (3) 0.4%

The pattern remains clear - 79.6% under 40 and just 4.7% over 60.

Why we are seeing cases but nothing at all like the hospitalisations or deaths as before the vaccination programme was begun in the wave last Dec/Jan.

Also why the delay will be stated to be to get as many more people vaccinated asap in the next 4 weeks as it is very obvious the vaccines are the reason why we are where we are and the way to end this now is to do just that.

As posted earlier, Germany (and the EU as a whole) is jabbing more per capita than the UK, currently ~6 weeks behind per capita but slowly catching up.

I'd say the whole of the western world has had resounding success with vaccines. The UK remains a little ahead, but has problems for other reasons.

Overall, it very much looks as though we will exit the pandemic restrictions on a roughly similar timescale.

We have higher deaths per capita than the EU on average, and have had more restrictions in place overall too, as far as such things can be measured. It also appears we have a higher GDP impact, though as I understand it some of that is down to measurement.
A glance at the graphs on WorldinData confirms this although I am not sure I agree that the Western world has had a resounding success with vaccines. The Chinese whole virus vaccines were I believe less effective than the mRNA vaccines against the wild-type but are not degraded as much by spike mutation. I am pretty sure we wont put our eggs in the same basket in future. Where is global cooperation in all this? None-existent.

The latest NHS England hospital death data are looking a bit controversial, given the transmission advantage and the more serious consequences of the Delta variant.
The 5-day reporting total (which allows for a like-for-like comparison over time) is just 4.9 up to 9th June: that is actually lower than a week ago despite the v. significant rise on positive tests during May and just the requisite time for those deaths to be going off the scale. As I’ve said before, we are ahead of every SAGE prediction based on the latest stage of unlocking and yet it looks like it will still be going on.

In pandemic laden Bolton the 7-day centred average of infections peaked 4 weeks ago. In the past 2 week, 4 hospital deaths have been reported with none since the 7th of June. If we can’t start and put this behind us now and put the increasingly narrowing advantage of early vaccinations to good use, I do worry that these delays will just go on and on with more businesses, more livelihoods and more and more life chances utterly ruined.

So vaccines work on the whole - we are mostly living at about 85% of normality i would say - delay things one more month and get another 15 million jabs in peoples arms and less will die than if we did not. Seems logical to a simple man like me. We are in a far better place than we were this time last year then.

If they did not delay everyone would be moaning and saying blood on there hands guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.