Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
With regards to a rise in possible flu cases this winter, isn't it safe to assume that sadly as so many vulnerable people have been killed by Covid already the past 18mth, a flu outbreak might not be as damaging? thoughts?

With regards to a rise in possible flu cases this winter, isn't it safe to assume that sadly as so many vulnerable people have been killed by Covid already the past 18mth, a flu outbreak might not be as damaging? thoughts?
That should help, certainly, but I think part of the problem is which of the flu vaccines is best to give people this year after having 18 months off. It‘s difficult to predict which flu strain will take hold.

Much as England did a couple of weeks back.

Seems as if the children catching it might have reached optimum levels and are falling after a month of rises.

Something similar may be happening in Northerm Ireland too.

Wales - too early to tell but today's numbers were promissing.

Mixing in schools would trigger cases BUT it is worth remembering kids have been mixing all Summer as they were most likely to take advantage of the ending of restrictions. In many ways schools will possibly not now be the big impact maker it might have been if that opening up had been at the same time as schools going back.

England cases without schools opening have been coming from the same kind of age levels as the other countries even before they returned to school here.

Been saying for weeks, lifting restrictions earlier in England is looking like a master stroke.

Think we can officially now declare that Stockport is in real trouble.

Everywhere in GM is well down week to week but in a day of plummeting numbers Stockport not only manages to yet again go up day to day and week to week and have the highest Pop Score of the day by far and to be easily overtaken by Trafford for the lowest Pop Score in GM BUT.....to also achieve the near impossible and have more cases on the day than Manchester.

Stockport needs an investigation to find out what is happening as it has not just happened today.

It has been coming a while.

Any ideas why the most vaccinated borough in GM is in the most trouble?

I am assuming school outbreaks but as the media have yet to even notice that Stockport has been heading this way for a while now nobody is reporting anything. And the age profile seems to be shifting a bit away from there as in other boroughs.

It is a bit of a puzzle.

If Stockport were behaving on a par with all the other GM boroughs things would look very hopeful today. But my fear is will SK fall into line with the other 9 boroughs or are they just ahead of the curve in what will become a more widespread increase?

That is why we really need to know what is going on here.

Simple, Stockport has less natural immunity than anywhere else. Probably had more working from home etc as it has always been the lowest. We all know natural immunity trumps the vaccine, this is also the reason in my opinion cases in schools in England aren’t flying, there is a lot of natural immunity.

new variant? God forbid?

Cases falling everywhere else indicates possible herd immunity which had to happen sooner or latter , there is only so many people to infect.

There's one that's rife in places like Peru which there are a small number of cases for here - about 55 last I heard of it. As it's been in the country for quite a few weeks, it may be contained - it was reported as being of concern.

Been saying for weeks, lifting restrictions earlier in England is looking like a master stroke.
It could be. The Euros might have done more good than harm too by giving Covid to the ones least likely to get vaccinated whilst other there enjoying the Summer.

IF Stockport starts heading the right way too I might start to believe.

Though I suppose if you have had the lowest cases for the 18 months of the pandemic any kind f herd immunity might be harder to achieve because you will by default have the most still vulnerable.

I thought herd immunity for Covid was now accepted as a non starter because people are catching it multiple times via the ever changing variants.

Has that thinking changed lately?

Anecdotal, but my sister who is a care worker and was vaccinated very early on (early Feb) has tested positive and is quite ill. 4 of her colleagues in the same home have also tested positive but aren't ill. You do wonder whether those who were vaccinated early need boosters sooner rather than later.

Simple, Stockport has less natural immunity than anywhere else. Probably had more working from home etc as it has always been the lowest. We all know natural immunity trumps the vaccine, this is also the reason in my opinion cases in schools in England aren’t flying, there is a lot of natural immunity.
Interesting thoughts. I do hope those that proves true. It will put us in a much brighter place this winter.

England hospital numbers today are good like the fall in England hospital deaths.

After the big influx into the North West yesterday they not only avoided going over 1000 as looked possible today but fell by 40 (a big chunk of that rise) and are now down week to week.

The England numbers are fairly flat a week on from school returns - Patients up by 100 wk to wk and ventilators up by 3.

Certainly no sign yet of any real reason for concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.