Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe just get on with our lives hey? 99.7% survival rate for 70 year olds if they go to hospital and most the population have had the vaccination. Yeah let’s all just waste precious years of our lives for those stats.

Thats before we get to all the mental health suffering and people with cancer either missing diagnoses or not being able to do things they love whilst in the final months of their own lives.

"Get on with our lives" seems to be code for "ignore covid and hope it will go away".

Doing that is precisely what has caused the worst impacts on cancer treatment, mental health and the rest.

You can't solve a problem by pretending it doesn't exist.

You're free to question. And since you're a (fellow) non-expert (but) going against the advice of - say 95% of experts - I'm free to doubt what you have to say. Then again, the scientific method is based on challenging the status quo. If your ideas are correct - then you'll persuade others by your arguments - and over time - those - like me - who care only about the truth - will side with you.

Whereas, virtually no experts take your side. For whatever reason, vaccination and other measures to combat COVID have become political. You're on the Right. Which is neither here nor there. I could give a toss. I simply want to do what's best for societal outcome. I'm going with the 95% plus expert opinion - but feel free to politicize this.
99.7% survival rate for 70 year olds who attend hospital is my argument. Why am I on the right?

"Get on with our lives" seems to be code for "ignore covid and hope it will go away".

Doing that is precisely what has caused the worst impacts on cancer treatment, mental health and the rest.

The irony is that if everybody got on board and cooperated, then things would most likely get under control enough to the point where most future outbreaks would be incredibly manageable to the levels where many could just get on with things unaffected.

sadly there are so many adults in the world who have not advanced beyond their mentality at 14 years old - you know that time in your life when you put off homework until the night before it had to be handed in and realised despite not wanting to do it and ignoring it the thing was still there and failure to act would have even worse consequences

How do you plan on getting rid of it then? Jabs every 2 weeks maybe or just have no human contact until we all we die anyway?

99.7% survival rate for 70 year olds who attend hospital is my argument. Why am I on the right?
For several reasons:
1) It's not just 70-year olds that end up in hospital if unvaccinated. Omicron, for example, seems to affect people regardless of age;
2) OK - so what? - you claim to point 1. Well, if enough people aren't resistant, hospitals are swamped - and so people who should be hospitalized are not. And among deathly ill individuals who cannot be hospitalized due to lack of capacity, the death rate is extremely high - increasing the overall death rate from rampant COVID infection to much higher than 1-in-100;
3) Moreover - who foots the hospitalization bill? Society is far better off if unnecessary hospitalization is avoided;
4) Long term effects of COVID infection aren't well understood - but growing evidence suggests that some people exposed to the virus - even those who never needed hospitalization - suffer long term, severe, adverse health effects - these people are termed "long haulers."; what is the cost to society for such long hauler individuals who would likely not be in such circumstance should they have been vaccinated;
5) Massive expense of hospitalization aside - there are only so many hospital beds - once filled, hospitals are swamped and the mortality rate rises dramatically;
6) COVID attacks numerous of cells/organs. Survive COIVD - great! But what damage has it caused meantime? (see 4 above)
===
Expert thinking - vaccinate, wear masks, practice social distancing. These are the best ways to minimize the impact of COVID.

I'm going with the experts.

For several reasons:
1) It's not just 70-year olds that end up in hospital if unvaccinated. Omicron, for example, seems to affect people regardless of age;
2) OK - so what? - you claim to point 1. Well, if enough people aren't resistant, hospitals are swamped - and so people who should be hospitalized are not. And among deathly ill individuals who cannot be hospitalized due to lack of capacity, the death rate is extremely high - increasing the overall death rate from rampant COVID infection to much higher than 1-in-100;
3) Moreover - who foots the hospitalization bill? Society is far better off if unnecessary hospitalization is avoided;
4) Long term effects of COVID infection aren't well understood - but growing evidence suggests that some people exposed to the virus - even those who never needed hospitalization - suffer long term, severe, adverse health effects - these people are termed "long haulers."; what is the cost to society for such long hauler individuals who would likely not be in such circumstance should they have been vaccinated;
5) Massive expense of hospitalization aside - there are only so many hospital beds - once filled, hospitals are swamped and the mortality rate rises dramatically;
6) COVID attacks numerous of cells/organs. Survive COIVD - great! But what damage has it caused meantime? (see 4 above)
===
Expert thinking - vaccinate, wear masks, practice social distancing. These are the best ways to minimize the impact of COVID.

So what do you suggest? Lockdowns forever and constant jabs because the 2 almost everyone in Britain have had aren’t stopping it?

For several reasons:
===

I think the point people are perplexed about is if masks are so effective let’s all wear medical masks everywhere .

in the uk you can go into a shop or on a bus or train and wear any old piece of cloth across your face and you are complying .

then I could be on a train wearing a medical mask and walk into a packed boozer or restaurant where nobody wears a mask and I don’t need to.

where is the more likely place for infection , an empty train carriage- mask. A packed pub , concert, football ground or gig . No mask.

Don’t really care how pessimistic my outlook is gonna look right now, I honestly don’t see how our old social lives are gonna return if this virus keeps surprising us with new variants that continue to increase its transmissibility, cause more reinfections, and the fact that covid has no biological reasoning or pressure to lessen its lethality to people. Feels like we’re just living in denial about what’s happening, this idea that we’re gonna return to our old lives like it was. Really do think all these shitty social restrictions and lockdowns will become the norm for at least the next 5-10 years if not longer. People keep saying we’re gonna get out of this but I honestly don’t see how. Just bloody depressing.

Don’t really care how pessimistic my outlook is gonna look right now, I honestly don’t see how our old social lives are gonna return if this virus keeps surprising us with new variants that continue to increase its transmissibility, cause more reinfections, and the fact that covid has no biological reasoning or pressure to lessen its lethality to people. Feels like we’re just living in denial about what’s happening, this idea that we’re gonna return to our old lives like it was. Really do think all these shitty social restrictions and lockdowns will become the norm for at least the next 5-10 years if not longer. People keep saying we’re gonna get out of this but I honestly don’t see how. Just bloody depressing.
Well we literally cannot keep dipping in and out of lock downs can we. Its literally not possible.

we will just learn to make decisions as grown ups.
Like my family xmas meal. 3 older members have taken the choice not to come. Fine. They are intelligent people who have made an informed choice.
the rest of us have decided we are all fully jabbed and are happy to manage the risk.

Half the problem is too many people sit there shitting themselves waiting for the next order off the government.

if you wanna go the pub, go, if you dont, its cool, dont go.

if you think life is going to change beyond recognition then im afraid it wont. Unless you want it to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.