Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on how many blood clots and myocarditis incidents you want to report and include.

We'd be even better if they provable worked for more than 3 months without any side effects and we didn't need the same jab as a booster every time there's a new variant despite it not being adapted or tested against it.

Maybe if the 2 jabs just worked then fewer vaccinated and unvaccinated people would have less doubts.
You cannot under-report episodes of blood clots or myocarditis, these are serious conditions that aren't just swept under the carpet. I think you're confusing here myth and anecdotes with reality. There is no epidemic of such conditions that can be directly linked to the vaccines because usually there's something else present.

The one thing that is often present with these severe conditions is a history of COVID infection and COVID can cause all of them. Blood clots are present in almost 20% of people who are hospitalised with COVID. Heart inflammation and other effects are present in 10% of people who continue to suffer from long-COVID.

These doubts are therefore bordering on total stupidity. To say you shouldn't get a vaccine and somehow take your chances with COVID when the consequences of that are FAR more severe is completely mad.

But - more seriously than I was trying to say above - I agree the virus is not going away now and we will have to find an equilibrium with it - but the number of mutations it is going through show how surprisingly adaptable it is. We cannot presume vulnerability will remain in stasis. It could mutate (and may even already have done so) into a form targetting the ones it has not yet got to and might mutate further in ways that make illness more serious in them).

We have to react to it with our knowledge and science and do things that protect the community not just some.

I agree we also need society to live as normally as possible now. I do not expect we will ever see a full lockdown again unless a doomsday variant arrives. Which I doubt it will. But could by chance. In the meantime we have to take some measures in mid winter to keep the NHS able to deal with the thousand other things in this period that people will need it for. Being swamped by patients who likely will survive may still kill others by defaut. That is why we are doing what we are now. To slow this highly infectious wave down. Not to stop it. That is now impossible.

If we had 500,000 cases a day not 50,000 it will not matter how much milder it usually is if that fills up all beds in a few days by sheer weight of numbers. As 1% of a million is still 10,000 and at that rate the NHS will be swamped in a week.
The UK has cut its hospital bed capacity by 53 per cent in the last 30 years at a time when people are living longer and need more complex medical help. Our problems are self-induced just like all the other issues we face with our crumbling infrastructure. It is really a beds and staffing crisis rather than a "Covid crisis." It is the result of decades of political incompetence (by all parties)

The UK has cut its hospital bed capacity by 53 per cent in the last 30 years at a time when people are living longer and need more complex medical help. Our problems are self-induced just like all the other issues we face with our crumbling infrastructure. It is really a beds and staffing crisis rather than a "Covid crisis." It is the result of decades of political incompetence (by all parties)

Add to that 10 million more people living in the UK since 2000

I agree in principle but what happens when the healthcare system in overloaded and then its stops becoming health care for all? It becomes triage and basically healthcare for those with covid. People with cancer are having their treatments deferred sometimes to the point of no return.

I will add, i dont think it will ever be a case of denied treatment for people with covid with no vaccine
You’re right. It won’t ever come to that because the NHS is impartial. For example, a terrorist who gets apprehended and requires hospital treatment will receive the same level of care that all his/her innocent victims get. That doesn’t mean we can’t debate the pros and cons of such a system and if people think the anti-vaxx Covid-denying loons should pay for any hospital treatment if they catch Covid then there’s nothing wrong with that viewpoint IMO.

Obviously not yet proven but the evidence to date from South Africa quite strongly indicates that Omicron is much less severe than Delta. Most hospitalisations are ‘incidental’ and patients are in for unrelated conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.