Coronavirus (2022) thread

A new Covid subvariant that is rapidly spreading in Singapore is believed to be the most effective yet at evading human immunity systems, scientists warn, and is not impacted by a wide variety of established drug therapies and vaccines.

The subvariant, dubbed XBB, is reportedly more contagious than previous variants or subvariants and has spread to more than 17 countries, including Australia, Singapore, Denmark and Japan
All that matters is how deadly it is. is that known yet?

I have just tested positive.
Should have been driving back to Manchester for my Crohns infusion on Friday, but can't have that now. I am more worried about the impact of not having my medication, than I am about Covid.
This is the 3rd time I have had it now.

Should have been driving back to Manchester for my Crohns infusion on Friday, but can't have that now. I am more worried about the impact of not having my medication, than I am about Covid.
get well soon Sir!

And to all the blues that caught it !!!

My question to any of the experts on here is - with the current varient, how soon do you catch it again?

I know in the early days of the virus they said you had months, but that it had dropped with the newer ones.

Even so, what's the reinfection rate for the various variants?

A play date will be expected of me within a week of being better, and i know that family mix with everyone, and it has always worried me so i'd never been yet lo and behold i test positive within 7 days of the first time i'd been at theirs!

I'm on day 9 of positive tests now, i've past the shivers and fever, but my throats still a cheese grater and i can#t stop coughing (and that taste of sick in my mouth..)

Still feel crap, but better than it was, and i'm on day 13 and have finally had a negative test today.

So one more go at getting any kind of answer on my question about reinfection? Any of the semi experts on here have an answer on likely worst case of how soon i could get it again?
(A couple of weeks? Or should i get a month or more? I wear masks, but with a 6 year old at school i have no choice but to mix with the great unwashed!)

(I will still be getting another vaccine when i can)

That's just crap. Hope you better soon

Still feel crap, but better than it was, and i'm on day 13 and have finally had a negative test today.

So one more go at getting any kind of answer on my question about reinfection? Any of the semi experts on here have an answer on likely worst case of how soon i could get it again?
(A couple of weeks? Or should i get a month or more? I wear masks, but with a 6 year old at school i have no choice but to mix with the great unwashed!)

(I will still be getting another vaccine when i can)
There’s a minefield of information on the internet. It’s not easy to find definitive statistics.

It seems we are at the mercy of variants. There’s not been loads of people catching Omicron twice, but people who had earlier variations caught Omicron.

So, I can’t answer your question, but would suggest you’ll be okay for a while unless new variants come into play.

The key thing about this new variant is that it has spread to many countries - including the US - but has not become dominant in most of them V older strains of Omicron. Of which this is really just another.
It is better at avoiding treatments. Which is somewat worrying. But it has not eradicated the older Omicron strains in most countries despite having been around for two months now.

Also there is no evidence from countries where it has appeared that it is making any difference to the prorection against serious illness built into the new type of boosters on offer this winter.

So my reading is no need to panic as any new variant will have an advantage over others or it will not survive long. This does but if the protection against severe disease in the boosters on offer this winter holds up as so far it appears to be doing then it reinforces the importance of having this jab as soon as you are called.

The frustrating thing about these variants is they will keep getting better at evasion but if the severe illness protection continues then it matters far less than it might have and we are not in new lockdown territory.

By the way todays Zoe graph continued the falling trend and predicted daily new cases are down to 215,576 from 223, 586 yesterday V 239,922 last Tuesday.

But the new variant appears yet not to have reached the UK. Though I suspect that is only a matter of time given where it has arrived.

The number of COVID deaths in England and Wales increased by nearly 40% in a week and reached their highest number since August, figures show.

The latest data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) shows some 400 deaths registered in the seven days to 7 October mentioned coronavirus on the death certificate.

The figure climbed 39% from 287 the week earlier, according to the figures.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.