Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

With the PL desperate to finish the league come what may, what would happen if the dippers first 11 caught the virus and subsequently passed it on to the rest of their 25 man first team squad..

Would the PL force the dippers to play their last 9 games utilising their U17's who btw played magnificently in the League Cup despite getting smashed 5 - 0 at Villa?

I only know this because it was mentioned every 5 minutes in the f"kin commentary at the time..

What if they then lost all 9 games and we pipped them to the league?

How would the media report the news?

Would there be enough wax in the world?

Would the Nightingale Units be re-opened to look after the 10's of millions of fans whose sides had split?

If only carlsberg did end of season twists..!

Last edited:
Can’t believe 6 or 7 weeks into the lockdown common sense hasn’t prevailed. It’s obvious that LFC and VAR should share the League Title. They’ve been the best two teams in the league to date and neither could have won the league without the other. Get them crowned joint champions and we can all move on and defeat this deadly virus.

This is where the FA need to step in to make sure that this doesn't happen if at all possible. They will have to look at spreading the money in the game around a lot more fairly, even if that is in the short term until things settle down or we work out what the new normal is.
Realistically though, finishing or voiding this season may not have too much of an impact on this, the biggest issue is going to be whether or not people can attend matches next season or not. This is where the majority of lower league clubs get their money from, it's not as if Macclesfield Town are getting huge payments for Sky as they're on TV every weekend.
This should give the FA a huge push to have a good look at the disparity in football finances to ensure some sense of fairness and to help protect smaller clubs who aren't bankrolled by Sky. It probably won't though.
I don't see how playing Premier League games behind closed doors at neutral venues with 30 minute halves is going to help prevent Stockport County from going bust. I haven't been following this closely but in not sure if this whole 'integrity of the season' stuff is just for the Premier League or for every team in England, if it's just for the Premiership why isn't the 'integrity' of League 2 as important?
To me it would seem better for all clubs, not just a couple of Premier League ones but throughout the football pyramid, to just call this season a dud and put all our energy into making sure that next season starts in as safe and timely fashion as possible.
The fact is that plenty of businesses are going to disappear because of this virus and I'm not sure why the government and all the other entities involved need to put football ahead of any other business at this point, if football can change it's rules and regulations to get up and running again then why can't other businesses? It's not as if your local independent pub, hairdressers, butchers or whatever have the backing of worldwide billion dollar media companies, billionaire owners or powerful and rich governing bodies. It's time all the money in football was used to look after the game of football itself and not just the interests of the G14 clubs.
That would do more for 'the integrity of the game' than any ridiculous neutral venues, 30 minute half, get the Premier League concluded pile of shite 'festival of football'.
Fans at the football seems a long way off but it will all change if one of these vaccines works. In the meantime the interminable wait continues.

I can't see football clubs voluntarily subsidising fellow clubs. The reason why Germany and other countries are authorising football to return is because without the fans it's de-risked for the rest of the country although the points about players safety are real.

If you started to open up the high st, pubs, hairdressers etc then the epidemic might return. Football is a highly visible industry but without the fans I don't think the Government is really increasing our collective risk if it authorises its return.

Some people are naturally against any forms of regulation in the game and want to leave it to football but I agree with you. Football needs to be re-organised and the income and revenue should be more equitably divided but I can't see that happening. The game has been stratified for a long time and the influx of foreign owners threatened to break it up a little but it's still a very unequal arrangement.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.