Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

In a parallel universe where there is no such thing as money, the league would have been declared null and void already.

This is about losing as little money as possible and nothing else.

Which is why they won't call it quits on this season just yet. They are hoping the government will put a moritorium on sporting events which will then absolve the footballing authorities from repaying sponsorship/tv rights monies etc. From how the govt. has handled things so far though I doubt this will happen as they've been loathe to actually ban anything rather suggesting that things happen in certain ways.

There is a mood shift developing against football generally, with a focus on the lack of movement by footballers to join in with pay cuts. Matt Hancock and Julian Knight (MP with a sports portfolio I think ) were today both openly contemptuous. The FA needs to shut up until we're all well through this and then they can start making noises about when football can restart. It won't be any time soon

This is a strange position for me to adopt as I don't like either of these organisations but the fact is that both the PL & UEFA only have responsibility for football. They aren't responsible for public health, the economy and all the other things that governments are responsible for. On that basis you can't blame them for trying to find a way to minimise the financial losses that potentially could decimate football throughout Europe.

I've long gone past caring whether Liverpool win the league or not.
They are responsible for the public health and safety if they are holding an event.
And the health and safety of everyone taking part in their event.

As abhorrent as clubs like Spuds taking the tax payers coin is, what's truly sickening is that they are not topping up the 80% the government is covering, and paying the difference to keep their employees on full pay.

I have 20 employees on furlough and have offered clients discounts to pay early, approached banks for loans (with personal guarantees), taken a pay cut myself to make sure my employees are no worse off than they were before furlough. This against the background of no orders and piss poor cashflow and it will stay that way until the money runs out.

Fucking sickening that cash rich PL clubs are riding roughshod over their employees whilst taking the Government coin.

Football is dead to me.

Last edited:
It's typical of the authorities to try and turn the attention on the players. I think it's commendable of players to donate to charities and Covid related R&D but I don't think there's an overwhelming feeling from fans they should take a pay cut.

What fans are getting pissed off is the rhetoric on the necessity to finish the league in a time when the world is in crisis. We're pissed off that clubs are still taking people's money and are so determined to get football completed they want to take it to China to do it. It's clear all they're bothered about is their multimillion pound TV deals. We've known football is no longer a people's game and at this time it's just highlighting it more and more.

This is my first post to Bluemoon. Use to watch City in the late 70s early 80s. Started watching the blues in 2018 live again now family have all grown up and I can afford to go to some games. Cup games only this season I might add with my brother who was very ill a year back. He has been a steward at Maine Road and the Etihad for years before his illness. Now I take him to cheer him up as part of his therapy.
Well been reading various threads and here’s my take on things. The whole season has to be voided. I am not a Liverpool hater but they can’t award Liverpool the Premier League because they have not won the league mathematically end off. Also this social distancing is going to go on probably till December for large or small gatherings. Please read up on the last Pandemic the Spanish Flu. There will be a second surge and according to scientists the second surge is usually more deadly as the virus mutates. Even though the second surge is smaller. So this will effect next season as well. These people who think this will be over in 2 weeks (Trump) or June ( FA and Premier League) are living in cloud cuckoo land. The Spanish Flu lasted for over a year and more.They said modern travel in 1918 and that was ships caused the virus to spread around the world.We have aircraft everywhere around the world in hours not days or weeks.
So sorry to depress everyone but nobody reads history these days and history repeats itself in some form or other.
So City will still be domestic champions of everything come Christmas. Anything else will be a corrupt decision. Sheffield United have a game in hand on United and would leap frog them into fifth spot and Villa would be right out of the relegation zone if they won their game in hand. Mathematical City can still catch Liverpool football is a funny old game. So how ironic that City have always been my first team, Sorry Liverpool my second and AstonVilla my third because I thought they supported City with that gigantic City scarf along there stand.
So just a matter of time before reality kicks in.

Slight issue the game in hand for Sheffield United is against Villa so they both can't win

As abhorrent as clubs like Spuds taking the tax payers coin is, what's truly sickening is that they are not topping up the 20% the government is covering, and paying the difference to keep their employees on full pay.

I have 20 employees on furlough and have offered clients discounts to pay early, approached banks for loans (with personal guarantees), taken a pay cut myself to make sure my employees are no worse off than they were before furlough. This against the background of no orders and piss poor cashflow and it will stay that way until the money runs out.

Fucking sickening that cash rich PL clubs are riding roughshod over their employees whilst taking the Government coin.

Football is dead to me.

Apparently on same day Levy gave himself a £3m bonus

As abhorrent as clubs like Spuds taking the tax payers coin is, what's truly sickening is that they are not topping up the 20% the government is covering, and paying the difference to keep their employees on full pay.

Football is dead to me.
The disconnect between supporters and football is getting bigger everyday

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.