could we play three at the back?

tolmie's hairdoo

With the welcome return of Komps, I can't help but think the players we have are good enough to play three at the back.

Kolo is naturally right-sided and quick. Lescott is naturally left-sided and quick. Kompany is good in the air.

Our full-backs aren't exactly taking on all comers, and would like to see the below given a try, certainly for home games?

Given

Toure Kompany Lescott

De Jong

Bellamy Ireland Barry Robinho

Tevez Adebayor

No no no and no..

Three at the back would be a nightmare for us. Most teams now play three up top when in possession.

Arsenal, United, Pool and Chelsea would murder us if we had three at the back

Think we'd need a left wing back! Can't see Robinho slotting into leftback position when the opposition attack down their right!

Yes I believe we could but it would have do be like this

Given

(Richards or Onouha) Toure Lescott

De Jong Kompany

(Bellamy or SWP) (Ireland or Robinho) (Barry or Bridge)

(Tevez, Bellamy or Robinho)
Adebayor

Choice of player would depned on the opo

Bellamy and Barry providing cover for the full backs
De Jong and Kompany bossing the middle and protecting the back four
Frees up Ireland from box to box role
Builds on link up with Robby Tevez and killer pass to Adebayor

Esteban de la Sexface said:
No no no and no..

Three at the back would be a nightmare for us. Most teams now play three up top when in possession.

Arsenal, United, Pool and Chelsea would murder us if we had three at the back

I think what tolmie was saying that for 'certain games' this would be worth a try.
I agree......that formation looks good for certain home games (the likes of Hull, Brum etc....)
Plus it gives us the opportunity to fit in Ade, Tevez, Robinho, Ireland and Bellemy in the same team - something a lot of posters on here want.

not sure whether i like the idea of 3 at the back but if we did try then my side would be.....

............................Shay..........................

..............Kolo..........Ned.........Lescott........

SWP..............Vince.......Barry.............Bridge

...........................Robbie..........................

...................Bellamy.......Ade.....................

harsh on Tevez, Ireland and Nige but i believe the extra height of Vince wins the day for me.

Rammy is correct, to play that formation you need busy agressive wingbacks. SWP did it for us under Keegan, actually. And Bridge is the right sort of player for it too.

the best thing about it is that it allows you to have palymaker in the hole behind 2 strikers. That's what Ali and Eyal did for us when Keegan played it. It would have to be Ireland, not Robinho in that role for me, and De Jon would definitely be in for Kompany, too.

If you notice, though, noone plays this formation any more. I believe it is because it can be too easy for the opposition to break at you in wide positions.

In theory I like the sound of it, whether it works in practice is debateable. If we did go for it I would be looking at the following.

-------------------------Given---------------------------
---------------Toure---Kompany---Lescott---------------
----Zabaleta------De Jong----Barry-----------Bridge------
------------------------Robinho--------------------------
-------------------Tevez------Adebayor------------------

I actually believe that if it's not broke, don't fix it. We havent looked too bad really have we? So, in my opinion, Kompany will have to sit out like Ireland, Robbie et al upon their return. Kompany by no means whatsoever is someone who can walk into this side, and I persoonally don't think its such a huge bonus as is being made out on here having him return. To think we should compeletely re-do our formation to accomodate Kompany is silly. For me, at this moment in time, stick to what we're are doing formation wise, and if Kompany proves he is a better alternative than Toure or Lescott at the back, or Barry or De Jong in midfield, then he should get his chance.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.