could we play three at the back?

I think we've started to play more of a fluid back 4 with the LB or RB getting forward much more leaving 3 covering the back. It works well but the back isn't as solid as it needs to be yet.

libertinejack said:
I actually believe that if it's not broke, don't fix it. We havent looked too bad really have we? So, in my opinion, Kompany will have to sit out like Ireland, Robbie et al upon their return. Kompany by no means whatsoever is someone who can walk into this side, and I persoonally don't think its such a huge bonus as is being made out on here having him return. To think we should compeletely re-do our formation to accomodate Kompany is silly. For me, at this moment in time, stick to what we're are doing formation wise, and if Kompany proves he is a better alternative than Toure or Lescott at the back, or Barry or De Jong in midfield, then he should get his chance.

He should already get his chance since atleast Lescott isnt playing that hot. Toure hasnt been great either, not bad either but anyway. Kompany should get his chance now, the ball should be in his court now.

PaulPowerShower said:
When god invented football he decided it would be 4 - 4- 2

Dont mess with the big mans plan

wrong matey -

My Granda tells me football used to be 2-3-5 and that's why football is ga$h now

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formation_(association_football" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formation_ ... n_football</a>)

2-3-5 (The Pyramid)

MadchesterCity said:
PaulPowerShower said:
When god invented football he decided it would be 4 - 4- 2

Dont mess with the big mans plan

wrong matey -

My Granda tells me football used to be 2-3-5 and that's why football is ga$h now

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formation_(association_football" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formation_ ... n_football</a>)

2-3-5 (The Pyramid)

Reading the article further - classic

"
Early days

In the football matches of the 19th century defensive football was not played, and the line-ups reflected the all-attacking nature of these games.

In the first international game, Scotland v. England on 30 November 1872, England played with seven or eight forwards in (1-1-8 or 1-2-7) and Scotland with six (2-2-6). For England, one player would remain in defence picking up loose balls and one or two players would hang around midfield and kick the ball upfield for the other players to chase. The English style of play at the time was all about individual excellence and English players were renowned for their dribbling skills. Players would attempt to take the ball forward as far as possible and when they could proceed no further they would kick it ahead for someone else to chase. Scotland surprised England by actually passing the ball among its players. The Scottish outfield players were organised into pairs and each player would always attempt to pass the ball to his assigned partner. Paradoxically, with so much attention given to attacking play, the game ended with a 0-0 draw.

I like the following formation for us

...............Adebayor.................
...........Roninho....Tevez...........
...Barry.....................Bellamy...
.......Kompany..De Jong.............
....Lescott....Toure......Onouha...
..................Given...................

we're still shakey enough at times with four at the back....any less and we'd struggle....half our attacking players don't do defending (e.g. Petrov and Robinho...and Micah Richards...)

only if we had 2 holders, which would negate the point of it having more ability to get forward.

.............................given.............................
..............toure........onouha.......lescott...........
..................kompany.........de jong.................
.............ireland............................barry.........
...robinho..........................................bellamy
............................adebayor.........................

anybody?

supercity36 said:
only if we had 2 holders, which would negate the point of it having more ability to get forward.

.............................given.............................
..............toure........onouha.......lescott...........
..................kompany.........de jong.................
.............ireland............................barry.........
...robinho..........................................bellamy
............................adebayor.........................

anybody?

would never work, also robbie on the right-wing?

OrigamiNinja said:
In theory I like the sound of it, whether it works in practice is debateable. If we did go for it I would be looking at the following.

-------------------------Given---------------------------
---------------Toure---Kompany---Lescott---------------
----Zabaleta------De Jong----Barry-----------Bridge------
------------------------Robinho--------------------------
-------------------Tevez------Adebayor------------------

That may as well be 5 at the back, totaly negating the attacking question that the op was getting at, maybe good if we were under the cosh at stamford bridge though lol

------------------------Given

------------Toure---Kompany----Lescott

--------------De jong-------Barry
Swp---------------------------------Bridge/Bellers

-----------------Ireland
---------------------------Robinho

------------------Ade

With the way Ireland and Robbie can interlink and change positions, i would like this a lot.
But as someone has already said it seems an outdated formation in the prem now.

Shame.

A front three of Tevez, Robbie and Ade. Ireland and Barry in the middle and SWP and ( wait for it) GARRIDO on the left.

I can see this working away from Home against the poorer sides of the Prem. Only however the ones with smaller playing surfaces to cut down on the space.

If it works you have seven going forward and seven going back and no need for a holding player.

I really think it could work but we are doing ok as we are.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.