Council tax overpayment

doots

Check your council tax band.
Feckers have been over charging me for over 12 years (not sure why I didn't check it before ). Changed from D to a C but they're only refunding me the last six years due to Stature Limits on debt, can they really do that? I reckon if I owed them 12 years arrears they'd want it back.

Feckers have been over charging me for over 12 years (not sure why I didn't check it before ). Changed from D to a C but they're only refunding me the last six years due to Stature Limits on debt, can they really do that? I reckon if I owed them 12 years arrears they'd want it back.

Threaten to sue them on that very ground!

They'll backtrack really quickly if you call them out!

They may just amend your forthcoming council tax to reflect the other 6 years, mind.

Only if you have not received or sent any communication from or to SLC in the last 6 years and it was a pre 1998 student loan.

Statute barring only protects you from being pursued through the courts for an old debt.

Post 1998 student loans are never time barred because they can get it through the tax system without need for a court order at any time.

Last edited:
In Ireland there's a 6 year limit both ways (unless it's deliberately fraudulent) and I'd say your best option is to stay friendly and civil and work out a compromise.

A 'compromise' for getting his money back??

Forget that! They wouldn't 'compromise', so why should he...?!
If he'd underpaid for the last 12 years they'd only have the right to ask for 6, the reverse applies as well. If he stays civil he might get the rest back as a discount, as they won't want the bad PR if it goes public. However he's not in a great position with regards to the first 6 years, the tax code is the tax code.

If he'd underpaid for the last 12 years they'd only have the right to ask for 6, the reverse applies as well. If he stays civil he might get the rest back as a discount, as they won't want the bad PR if it goes public. However he's not in a great position with regards to the first 6 years, the tax code is the tax code.

Maybe I'm being dumb, but I can't see what the tax code has to do with anything if he's been overcharged for 12 years!

This 'stature limitation' is because they never inform YOU that they've overcharged you, even if your wage structure would have clearly changed. You have to remember.

But, you have to tell them when your circumstances change or they can do you for the full amount no matter how long?

I've never thought that rule made any sense.

Maybe I'm being dumb, but I can't see what the tax code has to do with anything if he's been overcharged for 12 years!

This 'stature limitation' is because they never inform YOU that they've overcharged you, even if your wage structure would have clearly changed. You have to remember.

But, you have to tell them when your circumstances change or they can do you for the full amount no matter how long?

I've never thought that rule made any sense.
It's your own responsibility to manage your own affairs as it is theirs. Unless there's criminal activity it's 6 years. They'll probably be willing to come to some kind of agreement though, that's how it works.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.