COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in London and I can tell you it’s fucked. Since the ending of lockdown 2 weeks ago, no-one has given a flying fuck about social distancing. No-one has masks on public transport, the parks are rammed with large groups of teenagers draped all over each other, no-one ever gets out of the way on a pavement or in a shop, front gardens have become plastic chaired meeting places for friends and neighbours every evening, and indeed the only nod to social distancing at all are the queuing systems still in place at the large supermarkets. In my opinion, there is no prospect of ever getting the genie back in the bottle if a 2nd lockdown is required, which it unquestionably will be the way we’re going. We are sleepwalking into an almighty second wave, and instead of getting a grip on any of it, all that mussy haired Tory bastard in Downing Street does is keep serving up further “easings”, without waiting to see what impact the previous easing has had, first. I wouldn’t want to be working for an NHS Trust here in about 3 weeks time.

Hope you don't mind me asking but where do you live in London?

It's still fairly here in the Cockfosters/East Barnet/Southgate areas. Certainly less busy than it was before the pandemic. However, clearly less social distancing than a few weeks ago and the number of those wearing masks has reduced significantly. I went to M&S earlier. Of the 15 ish people I came across, none were wearing a mask (I was).

Saying that, if you combine Barnet, Enfield and Haringey (around 1m aggregate pop.), there are around an average of six new confirmed cases of COVID-19 registered per day for over two weeks now. No new confirmed cases in 4 our of the last seven days in Haringey.

Maybe the area within the M25 should have a proper four week lockdown. Army brought in to enforce it and anyone breaking lockdown be given a 12 month prison sentence or £10k fine. Government is damned if it does damned if it doesn’t. Shame the virus can’t infect all these scrotes, might sort out a lot of problems in one swoop. Do as you are told for a few weeks and the whole country would be far better off. But that’s impossible for this country. We don’t want to do as we are ordered like China but then we all winge when the death toll keeps increasing. There’s a reason why people are still being infected in their thousands and it’s not because of the government.

The stupid Little Englander “we didn’t let the Nazi bombs keep us indoors.....” mentality, which pervades this country’s psyche, doesn’t help, but it wasn’t the people who let events like Cheltenham take place, went around blithely shaking hands with hospital staff, shut the country down a fortnight too late, disastrously wasted time pursuing herd immunity, purchased 400,000 defective PPE gowns, etc, etc, and utterly undermined its own policies by failing to censure a political aide for breaking the government’s own rules.
I’ll agree that there’s a little bit of “damned if they do, damned if they don’t” in terms of any government being able to keep youngsters apart with the schools closed and the weather glorious, but our still burgeoning death rates tell the tale of a shambolic response overall.
And I’d certainly welcome an enforced lockdown right now.....!

It's still fairly here in the Cockfosters/East Barnet/Southgate areas. Certainly less busy than it was before the pandemic. However, clearly less social distancing than a few weeks ago and the number of those wearing masks has reduced significantly. I went to M&S earlier. Of the 15 ish people I came across, none were wearing a mask (I was).

Saying that, if you combine Barnet, Enfield and Haringey (around 1m aggregate pop.), there are around an average of six new confirmed cases of COVID-19 registered per day for over two weeks now. No new confirmed cases in 4 our of the last seven days in Haringey.

South West London mate. Sutton/Carshalton area. Southgate’s nice by the way. Went to a wedding there once! I don’t think the weather’s helping, but honestly it’s almost like lockdown never happened down here

It sounds like @Exeter Blue I am here lives in a rough And apparetly stupid part!
Where I am in Walthamstow is quiet, but I don't tend to go to the central area. The marshes/wetlands aren't completely heaving at weekends.
Some groups of 6 or so, and packs of cyclists clogging up towpaths!

Agree with him that the easing feels too early by a few weeks at least.

South West London mate. Sutton/Carshalton area. Southgate’s nice by the way. Went to a wedding there once! I don’t think the weather’s helping, but honestly it’s almost like lockdown never happened down here

Ah right. I'd rather where you do. Very nice. I thought they would have been a bit more conservative down there.

EZNCzQqWsAEi5eT
Matt is a complete nutter, but I love his cartoons.

It sounds like @Exeter Blue I am here lives in a rough And apparetly stupid part!
Where I am in Walthamstow is quiet, but I don't tend to go to the central area. The marshes/wetlands aren't completely heaving at weekends.
Some groups of 6 or so, and packs of cyclists clogging up towpaths!

Agree with him that the easing feels too early by a few weeks at least.

Loads of cyclists in Barnet and Brookman's Park today in groups.

Aye, I too feel it is a little early. Maybe a couple of weeks off looking at trends but I am a mere layman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.