COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's too many conflicting messages now. There's no scientific consensus, it's a shambles.

Early into the outbreak the government insisted masks would make no difference to combatting the spread of the virus and discouraged people from wearing them, while there was plenty of evidence from South East Asia that they were a huge factor in reducing transmission of the SARS virus in 2004.

Now everyone's being told to wear them when they can, months on. It's a joke and just makes people distrusting and unsure on what to believe.
Dr Fauci answered that point (US said the same as us) yesterday by saying they didn’t want healthcare workers to be short in the initial stages and now that there’s plenty to go around, everyone should wear them.

Dr Fauci answered that point (US said the same as us) yesterday by saying they didn’t want healthcare workers to be short in the initial stages and now that there’s plenty to go around, everyone should wear them.

That's what they said, but they also discouraged people from making their own even. And literally said there's no evidence to support their usage in preventing the spread of transmission during this period.

Does anyone know if hotel pools are allowed to open? I know public pools aren’t but given hotels are now allowed to open I wondered if they’d be opening their pools to guests.

I wouldn’t have thought so.

Which makes no scientific sense since the virus can't survive in chlorinated water. I get that big public pools are a danger - not from people actually swimming but the changing rooms and close quarters of most of their facilities - but an outside pool in a small hotel really poses little danger.

Testing is readily available. Track and tracing has been a shambles but the manual system will be improving and is probably contributing to the falling number of infections. The minority are wearing masks but it is now the norm on public transport so this could be extended. Most people have been social distancing if we believe "the science" from the press conference charts (rather than the minority of piss taking ravers etc).

When UK daily deaths exceeddc 1K for weeks and confirmed infections were around 5K, I think most people would have thought we would be coming out of lockdown when reported deaths were averaging about 100 per day and infections about 1,000. People can take precautions to reduce the risks from the virus and need to step this up wherever possible.

The track and trace system seems to be next to non existent from my experience.

My dad received a positive result first thing Monday morning. It was a shock as he's 74 and has been basically shielding for three months. He went out once last week to drop something off with someone who we found out tested positive afterwards. We sent him for a test as he did develop a cough over over the weekend but it still knocked us for six when the result came through.

Anyway, it's 51 hours since his text came through and nobody has contacted us regarding track and trace. That's over two days lost. It took three days for the guy I think he caught it off to be contacted by a tracer. That simply isn't good enough. The country needs to come out of lockdown but the preparation to keep people safe isn't in place. We're being led into a very dangerous situation to appear to keep up with other countries but the people tasked with leading us out safely are failing us.

As far as my dad goes the track and trace failure hopefully won't do too much damage. I'm staying with my parents so we've had to quarantine and aside from seeing one person who he caught it from I phoned the newsagent where he bought a paper this weekend myself to notify them. There isn't anyone else to tell.

I would urge everyone to be careful and to tell their loved ones to be careful too right now. Please don't be going about your business believing there is a system in place to manage the spread. There isn't. And please stick to distancing and handwashing. My dad's guard dropped literally once in three months (and outdoors too) and that's all it took.

At least he's told the truth.

There's too many conflicting messages now. There's no scientific consensus, it's a shambles.

Early into the outbreak the government insisted masks would make no difference to combatting the spread of the virus and discouraged people from wearing them, while there was plenty of evidence from South East Asia that they were a huge factor in reducing transmission of the SARS virus in 2004.

Now everyone's being told to wear them when they can, months on. It's a joke and just makes people distrusting and unsure on what to believe.
The UK healthcare leadership got it it wrong. Really wrong.
They asked the wrong question: "Does a mask protect the wearer?" (To which the answer is: "Not much.") Whereas the question should have been: "Does wearing a mask protect everyone else from the wearer?" (To which the answer is: "Hell, yes!")

From what I can gather online, having a test more than 6 days after symptoms started is pointless anyway? So I expect it to come back negative anyway

As I suspected, my test case back negative this morning. Something is making me get out of breath when talking though. I am normally fit and healthy with no underlying conditions that I know of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.