COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another 1,700 jobs going, this time at DW Gyms. How many more people are going to lose their livelihoods which could lead to a greater loss of lives for a disease that has killed 45,000 (of which a high % were already ill) out of 69m in 5 months officially and another 5 months on top of that unofficially?

Another 1,700 jobs going, this time at DW Gyms. How many more people are going to lose their livelihoods which could lead to a greater loss of lives for a disease that has killed 45,000 (of which a high % were already ill) out of 69m in 5 months officially and another 5 months on top of that unofficially?

Eh?

My bother’s a doctor and undertakes regular post-mortems. He told me last week the increase in suicides and alcohol related deaths (from people drinking themselves to death at home) has increased enormously since lockdown.

The picture is never quite as simple or straightforward as some would like to paint it.

Agreed - there are some very binary views on here which is more of a reflection of either people's fears or bravado soley on the virus, where in fact the reality lies somewhere in the middle and is far more complex situation then is being portrayed. My doctor pretty much echoed what you mentioned so this is statistical data we are not privy to in the main at this moment in time and that's just two categories you have cited that are indirect consequences of cv19.

That was a good analysis. Thanks for finding it. It is is why I publish the data on hospital admissions every evening here and have noted the serious oddity of the Leicester data as throughout their lockdown (caused by far higher numbers than GM towns have as yet) admissions and deaths both fell in the same way they did in other areas where cases were not high.

Something has changed in the data and this wave of cases is not the same as the one in April It might be partly a change in the virus but if it was we would likely know that by now. It might be social factors - that the young and less likely to be seriously ill are causing the case number rise but the really vulnerable ones are keeping out of their way by choice unlike before.

There is a big spike in cases and testing increases have a part to play in that. But its not the only thing happening here. Note that Nicola Sturgeon saw this weeks ago and introduced the idea of not just saying we found 100 cases today but accompanying that with a % figure - say - 0.5% This measures the number of new cases out of the tests done that day.

I have been doing that now for a while in my posts on all the data here as it shows clearly how things change day to day better than just raw numbers of new cases.

Some leaders choose to inform and some choose to obscure - by accident or design. But as I have said a few times recently the numbers are bad. They will get worse unless we moderate our behaviour. But this is not like it was in April when the consequence of that was hundreds dying.

At present that is not happening. We have to be aware of the risk that it might. And hope that it does not.

your evidence based analysis on this thread is the best coverage in any platform or media outlet .

Scotland 0 deaths (again - heading for 3 weeks without one now).

New cases 18 (11 seem to be from an outbreak identified in a bar in the Aberdeen area where crowds of young people were cramming in - Nicola Sturgeon says she was horrified and cried at seeing the pictures). 13 cases have been linked to there already.

About 50% of new cases being identified are coming from under 30s.

The 18 cases today are said to be under 0.1% of tests. But I think that is more likely to be under 1%.

Hospital numbers unchanged since yesterday. 265 in hospital and 3 in ICU ventilator beds.

Last edited:
your evidence based analysis on this thread is the best coverage in any platform or media outlet .

Thank you for saying this, but I really doubt that. I am not an expert in any of these things. Just used to doing research and finding data. I am almost certainly misreading some things I see. And even the real experts are. Just doing my best after we lost Gelson's graph which I came here to see daily and inspired me.

Thank you for saying this, but I really doubt that. I am not an expert in any of these things. Just used to doing research and finding data. I am almost certainly misreading some things I see. And even the real experts are. Just doing my best after we lost Gelson's graph which I came here to see daily and inspired me.

good for you. Keep up the good work.

Agreed - there are some very binary views on here which is more of a reflection of either people's fears or bravado soley on the virus, where in fact the reality lies somewhere in the middle and is far more complex situation then is being portrayed. My doctor pretty much echoed what you mentioned so this is statistical data we are not privy to in the main at this moment in time and that's just two categories you have cited that are indirect consequences of cv19.
Plus, I know for an absolute fact that the number of domestic violence cases (and domestic murders) have gone through the roof in the last three months.

60,000 +
Many gyms have gone to online sessions,it can be done and more people are out walking and cycling anyway

More from Nicola Sturgeon. 'It is largely younger people who have been gathering with little or no social distancing in place.'

She urged Scots to think carefully how often they need to go out to a pub or restaurant.

'Every time one person flouts the rules they put us all at risk.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.