COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
complaining about not be able to go to a pub seems a bit lame to me,it is not important in a pandemic,people have moaned for months like it was important,it wasn't ,the economic argument is different imo

pubs/restaurants play a massive part in the economy. So it is part of the argument. If everyone felt it wasn’t important , they wouldn’t bother going - and it would be catastrophic for landlords and workers in these sectors.

I’m not sure closing pubs is all that straightforward. If pubs shut down then you‘ll end up with a domino effect where you then have to close bars and restaurants to the point where it’s the entire hospitality sector, which is around 9% of the UKs total workforce. Most of that sector is already having to adapt to the current climate (less staff and takeaways) or potentially face going under anyway.

Most employees are likely still on furlough at this time and eventually it will come to an end. Curious as to whats going to happen, will everyone be able to fully reopen come October? I somehow doubt it.

I think people want an answer to the economy but basing it on pre covid whilst we have to find new solutions

We can't wait for new solutions though. It's a balancing act in the meantime, and one that (by it's very nature) won't please everybody.
Hopefully, with hindsight, the balancing act will be seen with less emotion and more pragmatism and we can say we got it right.
We are still in the middle of it and it's hard, but let's hope so.

Half time in borefest. So I checked.....And

They have counted the tests - but not the cases.

Current estimate depends on finding someone skilled on an abacus.

Anyhow there were 167, 983 pillar 1 and 2 tests done yesterday (is still yesterday I think).

As for how many were positive all we get is 'not available'.

I hope they move faster contact tracing than this.

Tomorrow - hopefully!

pubs/restaurants play a massive part in the economy. So it is part of the argument. If everyone felt it wasn’t important , they wouldn’t bother going - and it would be catastrophic for landlords and workers in these sectors.
people moaning about not being able to go to the pub during lockdown was nothing to do with anything other than stamping their feet because they didn't like not being able to have a pint with their mates,since lockdown is another argument about keeping pubs in business,they have to play by the rules,landlords and punters though

We can't wait for new solutions though. It's a balancing act in the meantime, and one that (by it's very nature) won't please everybody.
Hopefully, with hindsight, the balancing act will be seen with less emotion and more pragmatism and we can say we got it right.
We are still in the middle of it and it's hard, but let's hope so.
We have to get it right going into the winter in case of a second wave so we don't lose what has been achieved so far

I wonder though if everyone went to the barbers as soon as they reopened and so everyone is in sync for now, and they’ll get a second rush as we all need doing at the same time for a while
Well I normally go every 3 weeks, and it was already 5 since I went a couple of days after reopening.

Maybe we just got used to being scruffy c*nts.

As cleavers says, the economy is a chain. If one business suffers a decline then it might not impact massively on the rest, but a whole industry? You bet it would.
This again tallies with what my barber was saying, there's a whole lot less people in the town centre, so less people eating lunch out, going for a haircut, and probably a lot more things we don't realise are knock on effects.

I think people want an answer to the economy but basing it on pre covid whilst we have to find new solutions
We absolutely have to find a balance, and quickly, there's still a lot on furlough, and that won't last much longer, soon they'll be unemployed if we can't find a solution that works, so we have to get people back to doing things we've always done whilst managing the virus too.

Those that do nothing but moan about the government are only looking at one side of an enormously difficult situation, yes they've made, and are still making, mistakes, but even with an army of civil servants to draw on, it's a very difficult set of equations to balance for the good of everyone.

My wife works in a dentist, and he's had to let people go, because they can't see enough patients, and don't have enough space to run all their surgeries, they have 3 surgeries, but can only run 2, at a time because one has to remain empty after treatments, and that's not to mention the PPE he's now having to buy for his staff, thay are currently running at about 20% of pre covid levels, and people are still desperate for treatment, and yet he's had to let staff go.

Yep. Coupled in with the whole of the hospitality sector. Lose that and our economy is entirely fucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.