COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
On average 17000 die each year in the UK from Flu, thats 46 a day.

Pneumonia kills 30,000 a year.

Think of the numbers worldwide?

Often these people are those with existing serious medical conditions and at the end of natural life but due to the nature of the viruses they contract, they become lethal.

Medical experts have consistently stated that the vast majority of those infected, symptoms will be mild and recovery quick with no lasting effects and i will live my life accordingly knowing that i might never get it, if i do i should recover in the same way i do every other virus i have ever had and if i dont then there is nothing i could do anyway, nor medical science and that sadly, i have been unlucky.
You should probably acquaint yourself with the real facts before posting misleading statistics.
https://straightstatistics.fullfact.org/article/flu-deaths-triumph-statistics-not-virology

On average 17000 die each year in the UK from Flu, thats 46 a day.

Pneumonia kills 30,000 a year.

Think of the numbers worldwide?

Often these people are those with existing serious medical conditions and at the end of natural life but due to the nature of the viruses they contract, they become lethal.

Medical experts have consistently stated that the vast majority of those infected, symptoms will be mild and recovery quick with no lasting effects and i will live my life accordingly knowing that i might never get it, if i do i should recover in the same way i do every other virus i have ever had and if i dont then there is nothing i could do anyway, nor medical science and that sadly, i have been unlucky.

You're being INCREDIBLY selfish. What about the people you could infect who are not so lucky? (Putting aside the fact that this is 10x more deadly than flu, across all demographics, so it could kill you anyway).

I just cannot get my head around how someone like yourself, seemingly intelligent on other matters, can be so utterly deluded about the scale of this problem. It's a total mystery. You talk about the vast majority having mild symptoms, what about the significant minority which do not?

A small percentage x a very big number = a very big number. Merkel and others are talking about 60% or 70% infection rates. We are "hoping" for 1% death rates. Do the bloody maths: That's 400,000 dead in the UK. And that assumes we can treat the ones who need treating because we have capacity to do so, which of course we wouldn't. Of the people in Italy who have either recovered or died, 40% have died - some of whom because there was not capacity to treat them adequately.

You're being INCREDIBLY selfish.

How am i being selfish and why am i being selfish?

What about the people you could infect who are not so lucky?

I am self employed and work from home. Are you suggesting i just dont go out, even though i am symptom free or that everyone in the UK should lock the front door and stop contact with the outside world?

I just cannot get my head around how someone like yourself, seemingly intelligent on other matters, can be so utterly deluded about the scale of this problem. It's a total mystery. You talk about the vast majority having mild symptoms, what about the significant minority which do not?

I have just given numbers as to those that sadly pass away each year due to flu or pneumonia and we dont stop life because of those numbers as it simply wouldn't affect the demographic that sadly is at risk which is those at the end of natural life and already very sick to begin with. They are often in hospital and it is there they pick up the secondary infections that go on to kill them because that is the nature of hospitals, they are full of sick people. Do we close them?

As for mortality rates and the difficulty for the experts to even get them right, this article best sums it up as things stand.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51674743

A bit like your logic.

The numbers in China have been dropping dramatically, which is of course hugely to be welcomed: Because they took it bloody seriously and implemented draconian measures.

Logically therefore if we want the same outcome then that is what we should do. Not conclude we need to carry on as normal and hope it will go a away. That's what China did in the first place and look at the shit it got them into!

It's going to be extremely difficult to implement those measures, the Chinese authorities in some quarters were welding doors closed so people couldn't leave their homes.

They have a society that is used to doing what it is told and an authoritarian regime that uses military force to ensure it stays that way.

I can only imagine if we imposed a similar regime here then there would be total anarchy on the streets. Do we have the resources to contain such a thing whilst also dealing with the virus?

We need to avoid panic and the Chinese approach induces just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.