COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe some need the optimism to keep going.
Im sponge for positivity and negativity. So any positive news lifts me.

The AstraZeneca vaccine should be getting approved in the next week, which will be a game changer as it's so much easier to distribute and they've already got 15 million doses waiting to be put into vials and shipped.

I dont no how you come to that conclusion.mate.
When clapping for the NHS,
There were illegal raves going on around the country with thousands in attendance,besides other fkwitts disregarded the rules.

Imagine we had no source of media, we would be completely f*cked!

all the rules on social distancing, hand washing, contagious areas etc have been given to us via the media.

Confirmation of your comment here:

Summary of mutations by UK genomics

Thanks, that's a well-written document.

The A222V mutation is a good indicator - a lot of occurrences but probably of very limited effect; A and V amino acids are chemically very similar and also chemically quite dull, so the mutation is probably not important.

As antibodies (natural or derived by vaccine) work on making a square cover to fit on a square peg of the virus, the problems come when the mutation turns the square plug into a non-square cover (due to the 3d shape of the virus and antibody).

The AstraZeneca vaccine should be getting approved in the next week, which will be a game changer as it's so much easier to distribute and they've already got 15 million doses waiting to be put into vials and shipped.

This may already have been answered, but is the AZ vaccine just as likely to work against the new mutation as the BioNTech one or does this this differ due to the different makeup of the two vaccines? Is AZ potentially in more trouble or potentially better placed?

That's as I see it too. As soon as that passes, every GP and many pharmacies will get boxloads of the stuff, and quite possibly other big centres too for anyone not registered. Many will be happy to open for long hours to get it done.

Setting e.g. army medics and any volunteers trained in injections would allow fairly high throughput in sports halls, etc.

The difficulty is probably recordkeeping.

This may already have been answered, but is the AZ vaccine just as likely to work against the new mutation as the BioNTech one or does this this differ due to the different makeup of the two vaccines? Is AZ potentially in more trouble or potentially better placed?

No way to be certain, but likely to be the same basis.

All three work on the spike protein, so if the psike protein doesn't change too much, they will probably work.

No way to be certain, but likely to be the same basis.

All three work on the spike protein, so if the psike protein doesn't change too much, they will probably work.

Thank you, that puts me at ease slightly. Had it in my head somehow that the BioNTech one was a completely different profile from AZ and as such the AZ possibly didn't have the same confidence against such mutations as this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.