******Cricket Thread******

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Aussie's might moan about the poor decision but the umpires have been shocking for both sides in all 3 tests and the Aussie's made a terrible review just before.

Stokes didn’t believe the DRS graphic was correct.

At the time, I thought it would be umpire’s call. Even after seeing numerous replays, I still believe it would have been either clipping or hitting leg stump. It was by no means plumb.

having took it all in yesterday and digest it, really it took a ODI style smash it to the boundaries by stokes to win the test ??? maybe its the way forward to ask roy and butler and stoke to stop scratching round and smash if it there to hit, i have been going on and on about player like roy and butler and stokes being ask to bat test cricket and change there styles, but we all seen that if somebody starts to find the middle of the bat the fielding team quickly move everybody to the ropes and forget the plans they setup

the thing i can see is england have to many in the test team and 2 at most is enough and the rest should come from a test background like the opening pair
unless you can bat long and well you have to score quickly and put a score on the board and forget the 90 overs and 5 days, its the score on the board that wins the game, we have just seen what test cricket should be like (entertaining) and anything possible can happen

we have to learn to crossover all 3 codes of cricket and test cricket should be the winners, maybe the ball can be looked at and have one for all 3 types of the game, but big hitters have to have a chance in test cricket slow and boring is what killed the game and forget the skills and somebody batting all day for 50 runs does not work anymore, the bowlers are so much better because of ODI cricket and moving the ball around and having fast or swing or both is a nightmare for the batter and they are being left behind skill wise

they was talking on skysport what can test cricket do to to get the fans back well just watch yesterday test match and stokes, even bring in more test cricket in the summer months, we are the biggest multicultural country in the world why not bring in india vs pakistan in 5 test matches and play them around the uk, same with south africa vs new zealand , why have test cricket at grounds once year when you could play 3 or 4 from other teams ?? fans would love it and money wise it could be a open check book

Agree that Paine made the wrong call and will rightly cop some stick. What I think again will be the argument it raises about the use of the DRS. Like the first test where there were numerous howlers both ways by the umpires ( let’s not forget they are human and make mistakes under pressure too). I think they should take the decisions out of the hands of the players. Like a run out, use it when there is an appeal or dismissal to check. If there is doubt (I.e less than half the ball is clipping a bail or stump on an LBW that has been given not out, it stays as umpires call). When more than half the ball is hitting it should go with the technology).

The review system is perfect in cricket. I would prefer VAR operated in the same manner. Paine should be chastised for wasting his review. The system is absolutely perfect though. It adds to the tension in the game, the crowd are fully integrated into it and aware of what is going on.

The only thing that needs changing is the fact English and Aussie umpires can't umpire in matches between the 2 nations. The best umpires should be on in the biggest matches. Their professional integrity should be taken for a given and there is no reason to suggest they would not be impartial.

The review system is perfect in cricket. I would prefer VAR operated in the same manner. Paine should be chastised for wasting his review. The system is absolutely perfect though. It adds to the tension in the game, the crowd are fully integrated into it and aware of what is going on.

The only thing that needs changing is the fact English and Aussie umpires can't umpire in matches between the 2 nations. The best umpires should be on in the biggest matches. Their professional integrity should be taken for a given and there is no reason to suggest they would not be impartial.

Just on the umpires not being allowed to be from the competing countries, when did that actually start? It never used to be the case but I dont remember there being a big thing when that rule changed?

Just on the umpires not being allowed to be from the competing countries, when did that actually start? It never used to be the case but I dont remember there being a big thing when that rule changed?

There was, especially so because Simon Taufel was clearly the best in the business but wasn't allowed to umpire in the Ashes. It left us with some right donkeys.

Not questioning that. What on earth Paine was thinking about when he reviewed that lbw appeal is beyond me. Wasn't even close to pitching inside leg stump. Anyhow, I'm amazed those two umpires were left in charge after the first test. They've been atrocious. For both sides, as you said.
5live extra played the TMS commentary of the last wicket stand on a loop this morning. They had 5 commentators in the box at the end, including two Aussies. Not one of them criticised Paine for reviewing it at the time. “He might as well”

having took it all in yesterday and digest it, really it took a ODI style smash it to the boundaries by stokes to win the test ??? maybe its the way forward to ask roy and butler and stoke to stop scratching round and smash if it there to hit, i have been going on and on about player like roy and butler and stokes being ask to bat test cricket and change there styles, but we all seen that if somebody starts to find the middle of the bat the fielding team quickly move everybody to the ropes and forget the plans they setup

the thing i can see is england have to many in the test team and 2 at most is enough and the rest should come from a test background like the opening pair
unless you can bat long and well you have to score quickly and put a score on the board and forget the 90 overs and 5 days, its the score on the board that wins the game, we have just seen what test cricket should be like (entertaining) and anything possible can happen

we have to learn to crossover all 3 codes of cricket and test cricket should be the winners, maybe the ball can be looked at and have one for all 3 types of the game, but big hitters have to have a chance in test cricket slow and boring is what killed the game and forget the skills and somebody batting all day for 50 runs does not work anymore, the bowlers are so much better because of ODI cricket and moving the ball around and having fast or swing or both is a nightmare for the batter and they are being left behind skill wise

they was talking on skysport what can test cricket do to to get the fans back well just watch yesterday test match and stokes, even bring in more test cricket in the summer months, we are the biggest multicultural country in the world why not bring in india vs pakistan in 5 test matches and play them around the uk, same with south africa vs new zealand , why have test cricket at grounds once year when you could play 3 or 4 from other teams ?? fans would love it and money wise it could be a open check book

Stokes was able to what he did because he took 2 off 50 balls, stayed in and then punished the Aussies when they got ragged. We got 67 first time around because they tried to go after them before getting in. Our batsmen need to learn to hang around, because they need to win 1 test and somehow break the inevitable Smith/Labuschagne partnership that's about to unfold.

Absolutely bloody incredible, jh. I will admit that when our third went in and it was clear that our match was petering out to its end, I switched attention in the pub to the other screen.
Makes the hairs rise on the back of my neck, watching that (o.k., it doesn't quite make me tear up like watching 93:20, the way I have done 100 times when I'm alone, but it's not far off…)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.