******Cricket Thread******

Status
Not open for further replies.
No arguments from me on that. But it's not just the quantity played that is important. It needs to be played at the opportune time, be truly competitive, and be on pitches that help create Test players who can play in Test conditions.
As usual you write with sense and I agree with every point above.
I don’t see Hameed as a test quality opener however. I think Crawley is.
I really don’t know the answer either to who pairs up with him atm.

As usual you write with sense and I agree with every point above.
I don’t see Hameed as a test quality opener however. I think Crawley is.
I really don’t know the answer either to who pairs up with him atm.
Your guess is as good as mine. They had Alex Lees in the Lions squad, so maybe they’ll give him a whirl. Heavens, to think there was a time when the selectors fretted over such things as having a left-handed and right-handed opener together; now, they would settle for anyone who could just get through the first twelve overs.

What are you on about? Do you not understand what the word schedule means, because you've gone on about England's record.

On a normal schedule, ie every tour of Australia ever, there are 3 or 4 practice matches to get the players into 4 day/test match cricket.

England's first match was the first test, and it showed.
You seem to be implying that we’d be much better if we’d followed a normal schedule. I’m saying we’ve been shit in Australia for years, whatever schedule we’ve followed. I didn’t think it was either controversial or complicated to be honest.

Foakes was sent home after the Lions tour.

Hameed turns 25 this month and with 19 innings averages 24.38.
Burns will be 32 in August and with 57 innings averages 30.92.

I agree that they’ll probably make the change, but I’m not sure Burns is the future and changing every couple of Tests won’t do Hameed any good. It really is a mess.

Burns is definitely not the future or the present.

They should keep Hameed, recalling Burns won't fix anything and like said above he's not the future.

Give Hameed the last test, then let him go away and work on his game like Crawley seems to have. He isn't a t20 player, he's not in the ODI side, so he's got time to address technical issues and come back for next summer.

24 years old is young enough to have a bad first (real) series.

There’s a worrying sense of achievement doing the rounds today, after we managed to salvage a draw to prevent a 5-0 whitewash.

Shows how far we have fallen as a Test side. Players and fans alike.

I know what you're saying and England should absolutely NOT see this as some sort of psychological victory, and I'm really sure they're not, but the trajectory of performance of the team, and a growing number of individuals, is positive

That for me is at least something, instead of just folding they have shown a bit of grit finally. I think it's perfectly ok for fans to hold onto something after a chastening tour, but keep perspective that there's a shit load of work to be done. Anyone who thinks differently does indeed need their head checking. I think the improvements might be indicative of a completely bollocksed warm up schedule too.

They should keep Hameed, recalling Burns won't fix anything and like said above he's not the future.

Give Hameed the last test, then let him go away and work on his game like Crawley seems to have. He isn't a t20 player, he's not in the ODI side, so he's got time to address technical issues and come back for next summer.

24 years old is young enough to have a bad first (real) series.
I’m inclined to agree, though I’m not sure where he could go to hone his skills. He needs time in the middle rather than with a coach in the nets.

I’m inclined to agree, though I’m not sure where he could go to hone his skills. He needs time in the middle rather than with a coach in the nets.

I think he definitely needs some coaching to fix some of his technical issues that have been discussed - low hands, not opening up the off side and when to leave it.

Work on that over winter, then if they think he's made loads of progress play take him to West Indies in March, if he needs more confidence, keep him home and let him play County Championship from April to June before New Zealand.

New Zealand and WI should be a nice change because neither of them have a great fast bowler.

No arguments from me on that. But it's not just the quantity played that is important. It needs to be played at the opportune time, be truly competitive, and be on pitches that help create Test players who can play in Test conditions.
True. The only time the county championship became really competitive was when the powers that be divided the championship into two leagues.

I think he definitely needs some coaching to fix some of his technical issues that have been discussed - low hands, not opening up the off side and when to leave it.

Work on that over winter, then if they think he's made loads of progress play take him to West Indies in March, if he needs more confidence, keep him home and let him play County Championship from April to June before New Zealand.

New Zealand and WI should be a nice change because neither of them have a great fast bowler.
Definitely want to see him go to the Caribbean. I’d like to see that series as a new start where a first team is built rather than a first-team squad where players are also left at home. Looking forward to seeing Jayden Seales, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.