******Cricket Thread******

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm afraid I disagree.

Being open to change and new ideas is probably crickets biggest strength. T20 is the most successful "other" format in any sport - 5 a side football, rugby 7s, tennis doubles, XFL....every other sport would kill for something as successful as T20. Formula 1 is trying to do something similar with sprint races, LIV is trying to do the same with golf. Cricket is 20+ years ahead of them.

TMS had a guy on in the last test during lunch who said 50% of world cricket revenue comes from T20 now, and 20 years ago there'd never been an international game.

Formats like The Hundred of 6ixty might not be successes in the long term, but it's really good for the game that people have the ability to try things out and some ideas might be awful in practice, some might turn out to be great. All of world cricket is now adopting The Hundred's idea that the new batsman is always on strike, no more crossing when the ball is in the air etc.

This West Indies T10 tournament is 45 minutes an innings, which brings it right down to football/rugby time frames, it's a 4 day festival. Some of the ideas are a bit out there (extra powerplay if you hit enough 6s in the first), but some could find their way into other formats (losing a fielder for not bowling overs on time could easily turn into only being allowed 4 men outside the circle in T20 for example)
Maybe so, but T20 is already a fan winner, there is no need to halve it again and have fans texting in which ball the batsman can’t get out on.

At what point does it no longer be cricket?

T5 is next with bowlers bowling underarm. They could call it a home run derby.

If they hit certain targets, they can double their score too.

Also, if you attend, you haven’t got time to go to the bar, you miss 75% of the game.

Maybe so, but T20 is already a fan winner, there is no need to halve it again and have fans texting in which ball the batsman can’t get out on.

At what point does it no longer be cricket?

T5 is next with bowlers bowling underarm. They could call it a home run derby.

If they hit certain targets, they can double their score too.

Also, if you attend, you haven’t got time to go to the bar, you miss 75% of the game.

40 years ago someone would have said 60 over ODI's were short enough, why go down to 40?

Then people didn't love that, so they tried 45 and 55 before finally settling on 50.

Your sarcastic complaints are no different to the ones we heard about powerplays and free hits 20 years ago. Good ideas stick, bad ones get discarded.

30 years ago someone would have said 60 over ODI's were short enough, why go down to 40?

Then people didn't love that, so they tried 45 and 55 before finally settling on 50.

Your sarcastic complaints are no different to the ones we hear about powerplays and free hits 20 years ago.
T10 has been done already and hasn’t taken off.

The 6ixty won’t take off either.

No sarcasm here.

T10 has been done already and hasn’t taken off.

The 6ixty won’t take off either.

No sarcasm here.
I don't think anyone is hoping or expecting the 6ixty becomes the new short game format.

It's a 4 day festival with multiple games a day, which means it's the perfect platform to try out some new ideas, see if shorter times appeal to TV more or attracts new fans which is valuable information moving forward.

For all of its flaws, The Hundred seemed to be a massive success in bringing different audiences to cricket. I went to a couple of games and the audience was a completely different demographic to a normal county game, and I'm sure the counties will try appealing to those demographics more in the future to get more fans in.

I don't think anyone is hoping or expecting the 6ixty becomes the new short game format.

It's a 4 day festival with multiple games a day, which means it's the perfect platform to try out some new ideas, see if shorter times appeal to TV more or attracts new fans which is valuable information moving forward.

For all of its flaws, The Hundred seemed to be a massive success in bringing different audiences to cricket. I went to a couple of games and the audience was a completely different demographic to a normal county game, and I'm sure the counties will try appealing to those demographics more in the future to get more fans in.
The Hundred was brilliant at getting new families to go and be entertained by music and other distractions.

I’d wager that if you asked the kids what they liked about their experience that the actual cricket would be well down on their list.

The changes weren’t to the format weren’t to enhance peoples’ experience if the game, they were made to not break the licensing rules.

They weren’t allowed to call a set of 5 balls an over. It was funny listening to the commentators failing not to use the word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.