Cricket Thread

If Notts and Warks just play out draw is that it over?
Most points available to Lancashire are 5 Batting, 3 Bowling and 16 for a win so 24 in total.

If they managed to achieve this miracle they would finish with 150 points.

Warwickshire currently have 146 and Nottinghamshire 141 points so playing for a draw would guarantee them both 8 points plus any bonus points for batting and bowling.

So it is almost nailed on that Lancs would get relegated.

We need Warwickshire to thrash Notts and for them to get no bonus points.

Can't see it happening and also the weather could play a part in the outcome.

Last edited:
They knew that before the season started, they didn't bring in suitable replacements, that's on the county, and quite frankly they have played shite in most games.
My comment was really motivated by having been at the game this week and speaking to a number of members who certainly knew a lot more about this than I do. Whilst there was plenty of criticism of the club, there was a lot of comment about the impact of missing that many players.

What I would ask is, were all the withdrawals known about well before the season started, eg going off to play in a T10 tournament?
How many players can they reasonably bring in to cover the losses, is it realistic to be able to bring in quality cover for that many losses?
Did other counties at the top of the table get hit by as many losses as Lancashire have?
Do the counties get funding in when players are lost, or are they still paying out for players lost whilst away? Presumably being “under contract” means they do?? In other words is there enough money there for that scale of further recruitment?

I don’t know enough about it to know the answers to these questions, but it seems a narrow way of thinking to lump it all on the club, based on what I was hearing yesterday anyway. Maybe there was a lot of low quality play this summer because that was a reflection on the quality of the players.

My comment was really motivated by having been at the game this week and speaking to a number of members who certainly knew a lot more about this than I do. Whilst there was plenty of criticism of the club, there was a lot of comment about the impact of missing that many players.

What I would ask is, were all the withdrawals known about well before the season started, eg going off to play in a T10 tournament?
How many players can they reasonably bring in to cover the losses, is it realistic to be able to bring in quality cover for that many losses?
Did other counties at the top of the table get hit by as many losses as Lancashire have?
Do the counties get funding in when players are lost, or are they still paying out for players lost whilst away? Presumably being “under contract” means they do?? In other words is there enough money there for that scale of further recruitment?

I don’t know enough about it to know the answers to these questions, but it seems a narrow way of thinking to lump it all on the club, based on what I was hearing yesterday anyway. Maybe there was a lot of low quality play this summer because that was a reflection on the quality of the players.
I'd say only Surrey suffer as much as Lancs with non availability of players but then they go and win the CC again. They do have a ridiculously strong squad but they are the richest county.

I'd say Lancs are probably 2 or 3 good senior players short and the overseas player recruitment has been atrocious. Saying that if England had discarded Livingstone which could have been a possibility and didn't go straight back to Mahmood things might have looked different.

I'd say only Surrey suffer as much as Lancs with non availability of players but then they go and win the CC again. They do have a ridiculously strong squad but they are the richest county.

I'd say Lancs are probably 2 or 3 good senior players short and the overseas player recruitment has been atrocious. Saying that if England had discarded Livingstone which could have been a possibility and didn't go straight back to Mahmood things might have looked different.
I’ve never really understood the hype around Mahmood. He’s a reasonably quick bowler on his day, but doesn’t really swing or seam the ball much.

Ok thanks for reply, appreciated, esp as I’m aware the likes of cleavers and yourself will know a lot more about county cricket than I do at this point.

Lancashire should kick overpaid foreign imports into the bin unless they can come up with another Lloyd, Engineer or Akram.

They should concentrate on producing their own in house players who are not going to be pinched by the national team.

Spent years watching Atherton, Flintoff and Anderson playing more for England than the county

Lancashire should kick overpaid foreign imports into the bin unless they can come up with another Lloyd, Engineer or Akram.

They should concentrate on producing their own in house players who are not going to be pinched by the national team.

Spent years watching Atherton, Flintoff and Anderson playing more for England than the county
I actually agree.
At our cricket club (I know it's not a professional club, but we play Cheshire County Prem) we've stopped bringing in an overseas and have developed the youth.
Got 3 lads who have played for Lancs this season.
More talented kids coming through and they can see others have got contracts at Lancs, so it becomes a 'I can do the same' mentality.

I think a year or 2 in division 2 might be what lancs need really, they're not good enough for division 1 right now unfortunately.

Hopefully a few years in 2nd division will help some of the youngsters get a bit of confidence and put us in a much better position next time we're promoted

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.