Cricket World Cup 2019 - England World Champions!!!

Haha! I've been following cricket since the 1985 and only became aware of the term cow corner about 10 years ago. It's definitely a term used more in one day cricket rather than red ball cricket

Nah, mate. Cow corner has been used in cricket as a term for decades. It's always been a line to belittle a batsman's ability ("stick someone at cow corner for this one"), but obviously that didn't happen often at Test level.

Anyone who played over the last 100 years knew the term.

Well I'm blowed! Just looked up the BBC website explanation of the lbw law, and I had never noticed that you couldn't be out if the ball pitches outside the leg stump before cutting back in!! And I've been watching cricket since well before football. Must be very unobservant, or very thick, or both.
Something else I learnt. You can be out lbw off the helmet, if it hasn't hit the bat first. I didn't know that, and I excuse my ignorance there a bit more easily, because I've never, ever seen it. Has anyone? But my question is this. Why the helmet? Does that mean that you can be out lbw with any other part of your body, potentially, except for glove (which is considered to be part of the bat — one of the charming things about cricket, but that I knew, because I've seen people caught off the glove dozens of times. I imagine that baseball doesn't have that rule?).
On an entirely different note. Anybody else largely indifferent to Twenty20? It just leaves me cold. One thing I love about Test cricket is spending a whole day, or even two, preferably at the ground, watching a supremely gifted batsman lay down the foundations, then start building the first floor, second floor, and finally finish off the roofing. The fifty over game still leaves a margin for that, although it can degenerate into tonking (I know people like it, and it looks good on telly, but it's… just not cricket! Not for me, anyway)

Yep. Any part of the body apart from the gloves. Obviously it doesn't happen often, but I have seen someone be given lbw ducking into one that kept very low. It's pretty rare of course.

The pitching outside leg rule for lbw is because without it spinners would be unplayable, and it would also be extremely boring to watch.

Aaah, the days before helmets, when men were men!
As I remember it, helmets were brought in after the Ashes series in which Lillee and Thommo absolutely terrorised English batsmen.

Technical thing here, but it also changed the nature of batting technique. Without a helmet batsmen would get inside the line when hooking (or leaving) so the ball would only go in the direction of long leg. Purely a safety thing - if you were outside the line you got hit, there's nowhere to go.

With the advent of helmets, you see batsmen stay outside the line and hit it over midwicket instead. It's a totally different technique - and why when Viv Richards used to do it sans helmet it was so extraordinary to see.

I thought all the matches were sold out , Cardiff looking a bit thin.

I’m wondering is it another big tournament, ticket cockup. Perhaps loads of corporate seats for people who don’t like cricket or maybe just the early start means that people are still getting to the ground?

I’m wondering is it another big tournament, ticket cockup. Perhaps loads of corporate seats for people who don’t like cricket or maybe just the early start means that people are still getting to the ground?

Shades of Euro 96 now that was ridiculous the amount of empty sold tickets, good old corporates eh.

I’m set in for the day now with both games Happily distracted from that game in Madrid.

It's a big ground, and not that big a game. Yesterday there was a ticket stuff up at Trent Bridge, and people missed the whole Pakistan innings - they've had to issue refunds.

Not all games are sold out, I can still get tickets using my Emirates points for many of them.

I'm not surprised games aren't sold out. Saw a ticket put up on Twitter yesterday for England v Pakistan at Trent bridge

Face value £195

It did say 'platinum' on it though, so if that doesn't mean free booze and munch included it's a fucking rip off

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.