Cuba

What kinds of trips out do they do

Mrs wants to got to Havana, anything else interesting I don't mind staying in a complex in the evening so going off resort is not really a problem

Can you hire a car and go and see around the place yourself?

Ducado said:

Mrs wants to got to Havana, anything else interesting I don't mind staying in a complex in the evening so going off resort is not really a problem

Three hour taxi ride to Havana from Varedero, $200.00 CDN, we split it four ways afer kidnapping a newly wed Irish couple. If you want to see Havana, keep in mind the distance from the resort. You can also book three nights Havana/ seven nights Varedero etc. I don't think you would be going to Havana from Holguin.

Barcon said:
msl said:
Went to Cayo Coco 4 years ago with the Mrs, I absolutely loved it -she prefers just lying by the pool for 2 weeks.

Obviosuly the downside is that you're confined to your complex at night, so I'd find yourself a nice hotel with decent entertainment on in the evenings. The part I enjoyed the most was seeing the culture on the mainland, absolutely worlds apart from what we'd know. Murals of Guevara and Catsro everywhere, searing heat and swarms of mosquitos all add to the experience if you fancy that!

The guys are right, there are a lot of Canadians there which I thought made a nice change from Germans and Russians that you see in Spain and Greece. We met a few chaps from Toronto and these guys HATE French Canadians with a passion, so stick with the 'English' Canadians and you'll be fine.

How come you were confined to the resort at night mate? Was it because there was nothing else around? You can pop into Varedero at night and mix with the locals, very deccent people from what I've seen.

From what I remember, Cayo Coco was pretty isolated, as was our hotel. It's like a 20 minute drive over a narrow causeway to get to the mainland, so it was just 'suggested' to stay in the complex at night. (I'd have had trouble dragging the Mrs out at night anyway!)

The locals were all brilliant when we did meet them!

Ducado, we did a few trips mate, all on the mainland. Didn't manage to get to Havana unfortunately but we did all sorts. Typical things you'd expect from any holiday, but the difference for me than Euro holidays is just the way of life of the general population. I'd get your factor 50 if you're going on any trips as its the hottest place I've ever been

msl said:
Barcon said:
msl said:
Went to Cayo Coco 4 years ago with the Mrs, I absolutely loved it -she prefers just lying by the pool for 2 weeks.

Obviosuly the downside is that you're confined to your complex at night, so I'd find yourself a nice hotel with decent entertainment on in the evenings. The part I enjoyed the most was seeing the culture on the mainland, absolutely worlds apart from what we'd know. Murals of Guevara and Catsro everywhere, searing heat and swarms of mosquitos all add to the experience if you fancy that!

The guys are right, there are a lot of Canadians there which I thought made a nice change from Germans and Russians that you see in Spain and Greece. We met a few chaps from Toronto and these guys HATE French Canadians with a passion, so stick with the 'English' Canadians and you'll be fine.

How come you were confined to the resort at night mate? Was it because there was nothing else around? You can pop into Varedero at night and mix with the locals, very deccent people from what I've seen.

From what I remember, Cayo Coco was pretty isolated, as was our hotel. It's like a 20 minute drive over a narrow causeway to get to the mainland, so it was just 'suggested' to stay in the complex at night. (I'd have had trouble dragging the Mrs out at night anyway!)

Ducado, we did a few trips mate, all on the mainland. Didn't manage to get to Havana unfortunately but we did all sorts. Typical things you'd expect from any holiday, but the difference for me than Euro holidays is just the way of life of the general population. I'd get your factor 50 if you're going on any trips as its the hottest place I've ever been

I know what you mean about the heat, can you get to Havana from Cayo Coco?

All the hotels seem a lot cheaper there than elsewhere in Cuba

Ducado said:
msl said:
Barcon said:

Six hour drive apparently, not doable in my book.

Ducado said:
msl said:
Barcon said:

You will not get the best holiday from Cayo Coco, the food and service is not as good as Varadero and Havana is easier to get to only 3 hrs by coach. Listen to me, its cheaper for a reason. I have been there done it.

Ducado said:

The Cubans would prefer to lock you in to purpose-built Varadero and Havana. But there's so much more to Cuba than that. Examples.... the old town at Trinidad, the celebration of the "legend" of Che Guevara at Santa Clara or the genuine white sands beach at Playa Saraiso, and to be fair on foot under your own steam (rather than sheep led), Havana is superb. I found it a fascinating place to get out and about in and the legacy of communist fingerprints can be found everywhere. Photographers heaven - and no better place to enjoy a real mojitos!

1961_vintage said:
Ducado said:

The Cubans would prefer to lock you in to purpose-built Varadero and Havana. But there's so much more to Cuba than that. Examples.... the old town at Trinidad, the celebration of the "legend" of Che Guevara at Santa Clara or the genuine white sands beach at Playa Saraiso, and to be fair on foot under your own steam (rather than sheep led), Havana is superb. I found it a fascinating place to get out and about in and the legacy of communist fingerprints can be found everywhere. Photographers heaven - and no better place to enjoy a real mojitos!
Great advice right here.
A trip to Havana is a must, it's a stunning place and deserves a few nights at least.
Let's face it, if you're stuck in a resort for 24 hours a day, what's the point of travelling to Cuba for that? I did it a while back but still managed to tack on Havana at the start and end of the holiday. The bit in between was at Playa Pesquero , which, whilst being very nice, became a bit meh! after a few days.
If I ever return, it'd definitely be done under my own steam.

Again thanks for all the advice, looked again at Caya Coco and read a bit more on Tripadvisor I think I edging towards there, despite the fact that it is far away from Havana there is still a lot to see around and about

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.