"Cup-Tied"

Franny Lee's Barrel Chest

Why is this rule still upheld?

If, say, a player played for Watford against City in the third round of the cup and City then won and went on to sign that Watford player in the January window, why on earth can't he then play for City in subsequent rounds?

Similarly, say Reece Warbara played for Oldham in early rounds, got knocked out, then he's recalled to City who have progressed, why can't he play for City?

I think it's a ridiculous rule personally.

<a class="postlink" href="http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cup+tied+rule" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cup+tied+rule</a>

Without this rule, theoretically City could loan Joe Hart, Vincent Kompany and Aguerro to say, West Ham to help get them through their third round tie and then call them back if we draw them in the fourth round.
Obviously, it's unlikely to happen, so there is some merit in what you say but as a fan I'd rather the rule were in existence to prevent any big club - because if they can get away with it, they will do it - perverting the integrity of the competition.

mad4city said:
Without this rule, theoretically City could loan Joe Hart, Vincent Kompany and Aguerro to say, West Ham to help get them through their third round tie and then call them back if we draw them in the fourth round.
Obviously, it's unlikely to happen, so there is some merit in what you say but as a fan I'd rather the rule were in existence to prevent any big club - because if they can get away with it, they will do it - perverting the integrity of the competition.

Spot on.

the rags would have done that for years.

Funny you should say that, Mat.
i was deliberately trying to avoid mentioning them specifically in my post but they were at the forefront of my mind as I thought about it. It's exactly the sort of stunt those f**kers would pull if they thought they's get away with it.
That said, I doubt any of the big clubs (including us, sadly) wouldn't take every advantage.

If we got knocked out we could loan out our entire squad to whoever was playing the rags for that week.

Sounds like a plan to me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.