Current player most like Colin Bell

Mentioning the yrs we won nowt and briefly skimming over 72 paints an inaccurate picture for me, Bell had fuck all to do with buying Marsh and i believe we were doing very well just before he arrived....another title in that yr and we'd have been looking like one of those teams that pick up silverware every yr....but we never..but we did when he fucked off and though bell did'nt play a part in that final (76) he certainly played a bit part in getting us there

Great servant no doubt and a shame about the injury. I think in 30 years time we will be saying Yaya was the best midfielder in the world all the time he played for us, when in fact some times he is pretty average.

The passing of time make good players great in the eyes of many but if that is where Colin is held in the eyes of fans in their 50s and 60s then they should be left to hold that belief.

Notinmylifetime said:
We presently have some truly great footballers such as Yaya, Aguero, Silva and Kompany. We've also witnessed special talents in the past such as Gio, Lake and Ali, who were all sublime to watch. The late sixties and early seventies we were blessed with Lee, Young and Summerbee. Like many older Blues I've relished watching them all in the flesh. I have also been fortunate enough to watch world greats up close in the flesh such as Pele, Cruyff, Maradonna, Gullit and Messi. All wonderful, wonderful players. My favourite player of all time was Colin Bell. No one comes close.

He had everything. Modest to boot, so he was the ideal role model for many Blues my age. The Maine Road crowd reaction to his return from injury after half time cannot be described. I saw many grown men cry when we won the title in 2011/12....I saw more cry when Colin 'tried' to return from that injury. If any younger Blues want to know how good he was, forget old Youtube clips and look at the Etihad stadium plan. We have North, South and East Stands....but only one Colin Bell Stand. No current player is most like Colin Bell. I rest my case.

It would have been the Joe Mercer Stand but for idiots from other clubs voting...

oakiecokie said:
de niro said:
the lack of knowledge about the player in this thread is staggering.

In what way Bill ?

reading some of the comments i dont believe many saw him live, over a few seasons. he didn't run, he purred, he didn't pass , he stroked the ball to its target. he was like 10 yards and 10 seconds ahead of other players in his head. then he would make a run. as for his likeness to yaya, engine wise, is laughable. i never saw colin bell pant, ever. yaya of course is a unit but after most sorties up the pitch he can't get back and he needs a minute or so to recover. bell could run a marathon after a game. one thing though its fair to say yaya and david are AS important now as he was then. david is actually a more gifted player but colin did what he did week in week out for season after season.

those that may pick at him are classic examples of the gareth barry syndrome. the ONLY way to judge is to see what he does in the flesh.

de niro said:
oakiecokie said:
de niro said:

In what way Bill ?

reading some of the comments i dont believe many saw him live, over a few seasons. he didn't run, he purred, he didn't pass , he stroked the ball to its target. he was like 10 yards and 10 seconds ahead of other players in his head. then he would make a run. as for his likeness to yaya, engine wise, is laughable. i never saw colin bell pant, ever. yaya of course is a unit but after most sorties up the pitch he can't get back and he needs a minute or so to recover. bell could run a marathon after a game. one thing though its fair to say yaya and david are AS important now as he was then. david is actually a more gifted player but colin did what he did week in week out for season after season.

those that may pick at him are classic examples of the gareth barry syndrome. the ONLY way to judge is to see what he does in the flesh.

I more or less made the same comment ref King Colin still having the same amount of stamina after 93 minutes,as he had from the first,so yes there is certainly NO comparison as Yaya looks fucked at times after 10 minutes.
DS is a wonderful player but no-one should make comparisons as they totally different types of players.IMO for what its worth I believe that the nearest thing to King Colin would be a mixture of both Gerrard and Lampard.
Bell was without doubt the most accomplished player I have had the fortune to see and what a steal it was from Bury.Well done Joe and Big Mal.

de niro said:
oakiecokie said:
de niro said:

In what way Bill ?

I spoke to a northumberland kid similar age to Colin the King, he told me he knew the family of olde, said his sister had the same running style ..winning many trophys, said you'd pay monies just to watch her run...made me laff that, the King always left that impression on me. Fella was a specimen...what an apt nickname Malcolm gave him...'belter'.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.