Cycling Advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Southern, 31 Mar 2019.

1. johnnytapia

johnnytapia

Perfect for the park:
    [​IMG]

2. StrangewaysHereWeCome

StrangewaysHereWeCome

Factor in the cost of lights (I have a set that set me back £30 but they don't take batteries, charge them with a mini usb cable)
    Get a good pump with a psi gauge and repair kit. Definitely buy a helmet, as the above poster said, it isnt worth smashing your head off concrete at any speed. Wear a Hi viz, pretty cheap or you might be able to scav one from work.
    Looking at about a oner for the accessories and you will need them and you don't want shite that breaks and needs replacing. Same with a bike, you might see an affordable 150-250 Bike but chances are it'll be a heavy steel frame and you won't enjoy using it.
    I bought a hybrid bike for £450. A good mae and its light and quick. Would have spent that in 6 months commuting to work via public transport.
    My employer participates in the cycle to work scheme so in effect I got my bike on tick and I recommend it heartily. Dont forgwt that thw majority of car drivers are good towards cyclists but that small minority of knobheads that don't give a toss about you and think you shouldn't be on the road are lethal. Grow eyes and ears on the back of your head .
    Have fun bud.

TheRemainsOfTheDave likes this.
  3. Fred_Quimby

Fred_Quimby

As a very keen cyclist I couldn't have put it better. Get your employer to participate in the bike to work scheme and you get it tax free and get to pay it off monthly at no extra cost.

Mëtal Bikër likes this.
  4. Mëtal Bikër

Mëtal Bikër

I've heard there are some cycle to work schemes you have to be wary of. The one my work does is that even though you pay the bike off, the company still "owns" it until you pay them for it. Or it may just be my employer being dicks.

TheRemainsOfTheDave likes this.
  5. idahoblues

idahoblues

maybe they're just taking the piss over here with bike prices but your numbers seem very low. I know lots of people who've spent over $5k on their mountain bikes

Last edited: 1 Apr 2019
  6. Mëtal Bikër

Mëtal Bikër

It's more the excessive costs, carbon fibre frames, space age suspension that absorbs the bumps better, etc. They're made to a much, much higher quality, but i'd never pay more that £500 for any bike, personally, unless it was electric, which defeats the purpose for fitness and I see more as assisting those with injured or weak knees/legs.

Standard mountain bikes range from about £120 to £250 ($156-650). There are high end mountain bikes, ranging about £5,000, of course, but I find them outrageously priced (a bit like those who buy a £25,000 watch over one worth £250). Commuter bikes are roughly between £200 to £500 ($260-650). Mine cost £300 ($390) and have had it for 8 years. Practically saved my life when I was hit by a car and the frame absorbed the impact. Use it every week.

Road bikes are where it gets just as ridiculous. £600, £1200, £4400 ($5700) £12,000!!

7. idahoblues

idahoblues

I agree with you about price, after I thought about it I only know one person who spent almost $15k on his bike. I've never stopped riding a bike since I was first able as a kid but would never pay that kind of money. I don't do any serious mtn biking any more and never race so for $350- $400 I can get all the enjoyment I need. I'd rather have a selection of bikes than one really crazy one. This year buying the wife and I folding bikes for any city trips we do, a lot of the cities have full blown city wide bike paths, great way to get around town

8. Mëtal Bikër

Mëtal Bikër

One thing Manchester, and the UK really, lacks is a decent cycling infrastructure. The council just tacks on pathways on currently existing roads and it's just not meant for it. We've got a cycleway called the Fallowfield Loop, which was great, even takes you right to the Etihad and by the canals... now it's a target for thieves. The council were meant to be closing off one of the road routs into the city centre and making it bus/cycle only. Not seen anything become of that idea.

Mate of mine has a folding bike, treats it like a bmx though. Useful little things, especially if part of your journey involves public transport. Takes up about as much room as a large travel case. They're about £300 here as well.

9. idahoblues

idahoblues

it would be tough finding the room in most old English cities and towns, hard enough for cars. Shame though, a bit of fore thought could alleviate traffic problems in the future, keep people exercising too. A lot of towns here also doing super cheap or even free bike rentals/borrow

10. Mëtal Bikër

Mëtal Bikër

We could borrow ideas from the Danes and the Dutch as their towns layouts are similar to our own. Would costs lots of money though and the council is skint. With the world turning to electric cars, it should be time to rethink other aspects of how people get from place to place and start being inclusive of other modes of transport.