Cycling Advice

Yeah I agree with all of that. I’m always looking way ahead and around when I’m out. You never know if someone is going to step out on you or a car is going to throw a sharp left without indicating. I find in London some cyclists especially those in full kit get way over confident using the cycle lanes as if it has some kind of protective barrier around it. The speed some barrel along at you would think there is a scout from team sky at the end.

To me it seems the roads have become a battle ground between cyclists and motor cars and is getting dangerous. Lack of patience and tolerance is a big factor plus ignorance plays a part. The amount of times I hear crap like “the road isn’t for cyclists or you don’t pay road tax” I’ve given up trying to reason with most people or even argue cos if some loon decides to knock me off my bike then I’m fucked.

Also cyclists really do have to do there but. There really is no need to run a red light. It’s dangerous and it’s the one thing that pisses people off and justifies in motorists head when they want to close pass a cyclist or cut one up. Just stop and wait. I’m fed up hearing from cyclists that they ran a red as it’s safer to do so because they don’t want to set off at the same time as a larger vehicle. It’s rubbish you just don’t want to wait at the lights.
Got close passed this morning. The car was probably doing around 45-50mph and I felt the wing mirror brush my elbow. They overtook me with a car coming the opposite way which didn't move over to give more room. Luckily I wasn't riding in the gutter so I had some wiggle room on the outside to get out of the way of the car that was right up the arse of the car that nearly took me out (who probably didn't even know I was there). Didn't really phase me at the time, but when got to work I realised just how close I'd been to getting wiped out.

There does tend to be a culture of road users competing for space when we should all be working together to ensure the roads are safer for all users, not just those who 'pay tax'. And as for cyclist running red lights, see it all the time and it pisses me right off. They give cyclist a bad reputation. It is absolutely not dangerous to wait at a red light 'if' you are in the correct position on the road (primary position in the middle of the carriageway, especially if turning left). That way you don't end up getting squeezed into the kerb. Once you are clear of the junction you can assess the situation and move accordingly.

Got close passed this morning. The car was probably doing around 45-50mph and I felt the wing mirror brush my elbow. They overtook me with a car coming the opposite way which didn't move over to give more room. Luckily I wasn't riding in the gutter so I had some wiggle room on the outside to get out of the way of the car that was right up the arse of the car that nearly took me out (who probably didn't even know I was there). Didn't really phase me at the time, but when got to work I realised just how close I'd been to getting wiped out.

There does tend to be a culture of road users competing for space when we should all be working together to ensure the roads are safer for all users, not just those who 'pay tax'. And as for cyclist running red lights, see it all the time and it pisses me right off. They give cyclist a bad reputation. It is absolutely not dangerous to wait at a red light 'if' you are in the correct position on the road (primary position in the middle of the carriageway, especially if turning left). That way you don't end up getting squeezed into the kerb. Once you are clear of the junction you can assess the situation and move accordingly.
I expect this is the case. Too many motorists feel that if their car can fit a gap it's ok to go for it. I've been overtaken at a crossing refuge where the road is clearly indicating the need to let a cyclist get through but they won't wait. They have to gain those three seconds before the next set of light stop them - providing they get there before the oncoming traffic is on the move, or they'll jump them. Too many motorists know now that at those lights where only one stream goes at a time they have a few seconds before it changes green against them, and they've waited long enough, haven't they, so fuck off the rest of the world I'm coming through!

Well,

On the way home, my route takes me up a particularly steep hill, followed by an awkward right turn at the top on to a short road leading to Castle Square (if you know Lincoln). There are usually parked cars on the RHS of the road, with places to pull in and allow passing. I'm going pretty slow at this point, but I had to back off a bit to allow a car through. Road clears and I press on. Another car appears on my side of the road and passes a stationary car with a gap beyond where he COULD have pulled in... but this c*nt had other ideas. I would have held him up for about 4 seconds.

Now I'm not exactly invisible with my front flashing light and bright yellow bag, but obviously not visible enough. I hold my position in the middle of the road as there was absolutely no way I could have squeezed passed (and really why the f*ck should I have to?) and he stopped and stuck his fat gammon head out of the window... 'What?' he shouts... 'Really?' came my reply, his face getting redder and redder. 'You've got loads of room'... I had no room without having to bump up the pavement, so I held my ground. 'Either you didn't see me, in which case you need to get your eyes tested before you kill someone, or you think this somehow not your fault in which case you probably need to reacquaint yourself with the Highway Code before you kill someone'....

'Faaack Off' came the reply.... I unclipped and got off my bike, up the pavement and back on again and carried on my way. Funny thing was, as I unclipped the colour drained from his fat purple face and he probably though I was going to smack him. I got a nice round of applause from a bloke on the other side of the pavement who was chuckling away to himself.

Last night i was driving home on a dimly lit B road and almost rear ended a middle aged bloke dressed in black with no lights on his bike! Good job i spotted the 2" reflector under his saddle just in time or id have knocked him into oblivion! I had to swerve him in the last second! I wouldn't mind but for the price of a couple of beers he could have himself an half decent pair of lights fitted.

Last night i was driving home on a dimly lit B road and almost rear ended a middle aged bloke dressed in black with no lights on his bike! Good job i spotted the 2" reflector under his saddle just in time or id have knocked him into oblivion! I had to swerve him in the last second! I wouldn't mind but for the price of a couple of beers he could have himself an half decent pair of lights fitted.
See 'em all the time round here. They really are idiots.

Making sure I'm visible is something I don't f*ck about with. I have: front and rear reflectors, front and rear flashing lights in daylight/lowlight conditions, fixed and flashing front/rear lights at night, spoke mounted reflectors front and back, reflective rim front/rear tyre, dayglow/reflective rucksack, dayglow/reflective mitts, reflective detailing on my shirt/shorts/socks, and my waterproof winter jacket and gloves are fully reflective.

In fact, because I run on clipless pedals the only legally required reflectors I don't have (which are mandated by the Highway Code) are pedal mounted reflectors. To compensate my shoes have reflective detailing.

There was another cyclist killed last week in London. It’s not hot topic at the moment for obvious reasons but cyclist deaths have really risen this year. Obviously there are a lot my cyclists and new cyclists out there now but it’s tragic that this is on the increase. I know tfl for instance are trying improve cycle infrastructure and increasing cycle highways and quiet ways and in some boroughs have mini Holland areas.

Hopefully things will improve soon as cycling as a great way of travelling.
The Government and local Government want 50% of all our journeys to be either cycling or walking. The thing is, the infrastructure just isn’t there. Cycle lanes need a ‘hard’ kerb against them so cars don’t get too close in my opinion.

Speaking to my mum’s neighbour last week who’s a keen cyclist and he was telling me about deaths of other cyclists he knows of in recent weeks and that’s round here (Oldham). Frightening.

Saw a postman on his bike hurtling down Ripponsen Road last week, no helmet on and going about 20mph I’d hazard a guess at. Absolute bloody loon.

On a lighter note it’s NEW BIKE DAY for me any day now. The bike I ordered on St George’s Day is being delivered to the store tomorrow so I am told. Should then be with me in a matter of days. A Cannondale EvoSuper6 in Sky Blue of course! :)

Attachments

• 8C3B35FB-6409-47C1-84CB-3A79BDBAC4BD.png
    8C3B35FB-6409-47C1-84CB-3A79BDBAC4BD.png
    594.9 KB · Views: 24
Time to start prepping you bikes for winter, because it will be upon us soon enough.

Check your brake pads and consider replacing them with winter specific pads. Check/replace brake & gear cables. Check and re-grease/replace bearings (headset/hubs/BB's) and then lube QRF's, seat post. This is on top of any other regular maintenance and cleaning.

Lastly, tyres and mudguards. Replace worn tyres and consider winter specific treads/compounds. Fit mudguards.

On a lighter note it’s NEW BIKE DAY for me any day now. The bike I ordered on St George’s Day is being delivered to the store tomorrow so I am told. Should then be with me in a matter of days. A Cannondale EvoSuper6 in Sky Blue of course! :)
Nice colour. Went past someone today with a similar colour and it looked pretty good.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.