D-Day is coming up (6. June 1944)

Cessna

(Unfinished post that I will try to "complete" as we get close to D-Day.​

D-Day: The invasion of Normady

Sorry for a long post, I hope you enjoy it. As a Norwegian, as I got older and understood the great Wars, I became quite humble. The Americans, the Canadians, the Scots, the Irish, the English. Along with Norwegians, Swedes, Danish, Polish.. you name it. Our forefathers banded together to win against a common enemy. The worst kind. Football gets insignificant in this regard.
Stay friendly when you approach people. Be diplomatic. Do not engage in cruelty or endanger others. No matter what team they support.

We all support peace.

Substory:

I could go back further, but for the sake of this thread I would rather stay brief.
  1. March 1939: Hitler invades Czechoslovakia. A few months after the Treaty of Munich has been proposed.
    This treaty was signed by the Great Britain, Italy, France and Germany - the treaty agreeing that Czechoslovakia must surrender to Nazi Germany.
  2. March 1939: Britain, by Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain reassures Poland that any action which "clearly threatened Polish independence, and which the Polish Government accordingly considered it vital to resist, His Majesty’s Government would feel themselves bound at once to lend the Polish Government all support in their power.’
  3. August 1939: Russia and Germany sign a pact known as the "Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact".
    The countries agreed that they would not attack each other and secretly divided the countries that lay between them. Germany claimed Western Poland and part of Lithuania. The Soviet Union was going to occupy Eastern Poland, the Baltic States and part of Finland.
  4. September 1, 1939: Hitler invades Poland.
  5. September 3, 1939: Britain and France declare war on Germany.
  6. Hitler invades Denmark and Norway (This is the heavy cruiser Blücher sinking in the Drøbak fjord in Norway)
    It lies on a depth of 64 metres (35 fathoms) and it still leaks oil.

German_cruiser_Blücher_sinking.jpg

7. May 24, 1941: The HMS Hood and The HMS Prince of Wales engaged in a naval battle with the German battleships Prinz Eugen and (the more menacing) Bismarck. Resulting in the loss of the mighty battlecruiser Hood.
  8. December 7, 1941: The Japanese Navy strikes the naval base of Pearl Harbour
  9. By the mid 1943s the campaign in the North-Africas had been won.
  10. The Allies launched an invasion of Sicily in July 1943.
    1. At the same time the Soviet forces achieved victory at the Battle of Stalingrad.
  11. Trident conference was held. With Churchill and Roosevelt.

Fast forward.

Germany's Atlantic Wall

The Atlantic wall

Atlantikwall.png

What was the Atlantic wall?

In my own words. An insanely long stretch of coastal defenses that you can still witness today. Supported by the Kriegsmarine.
Just as a reminder, the Bismarck sank the Hood in one salvo and took a fleet to bring it down.
The invading force had to penetrate this Atlantic wall.

The "Allied Expeditionary Force"
Commanded by Dwight D. Eisenhower

Meeting_of_the_Supreme_Command,_Allied_Expeditionary_Force,_London,_1_February_1944_TR1631.jpg

What was D-Day?

1. A big scale landing operation organized mainly by US and UK forces.
  2. Night coming into June 6th
  3. The target was Normandie, France.
  4. Led by Dwight D. Eisenhower and the opposing force was led by Adolf Hitler / Field Marshal Erwin Rommel.
  5. US forces had been training in England.
  6. More than 150'000 soldiers from the combined forces attacked.
  7. More than 195'000 naval personnel assisted

The attack plan:​

shutterstock_631038137-1.jpg

This is Eisenhower's letter to the attacking force.
Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force!

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hope and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle-hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944! Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to Victory!

I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full Victory!

Good luck! And let us beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

Into_the_Jaws_of_Death_23-0455M_edit.jpg

To be continued ( I will update this when I have time. We are approaching D-Day)

Last edited:
b-day-lettering-and-cake-with-candle-with-gift-boxes-hand-drawn-illustration-for-birthday-card-or-sticker-design-vector.jpg

(Unfinished post that I will try to "complete" as we get close to D-Day.​

D-Day: The invasion of Normady

Sorry for a long post, I hope you enjoy it. As a Norwegian, as I got older and understood the great Wars, I became quite humble. The Americans, the Canadians, the Scots, the Irish, the English. Along with Norwegians, Swedes, Danish, Polish.. you name it. Our forefathers banded together to win against a common enemy. The worst kind. Football gets insignificant in this regard.
Stay friendly when you approach people. Be diplomatic. Do not engage in cruelty or endanger others. No matter what team they support.

We all support peace.

Substory:

I could go back further, but for the sake of this thread I would rather stay brief.
  1. March 1939: Hitler invades Czechoslovakia. A few months after the Treaty of Munich has been proposed.
    This treaty was signed by the Great Britain, Italy, France and Germany - the treaty agreeing that Czechoslovakia must surrender to Nazi Germany.
  2. March 1939: Britain, by Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain reassures Poland that any action which "clearly threatened Polish independence, and which the Polish Government accordingly considered it vital to resist, His Majesty’s Government would feel themselves bound at once to lend the Polish Government all support in their power.’
  3. August 1939: Russia and Germany sign a pact known as the "Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact".
    The countries agreed that they would not attack each other and secretly divided the countries that lay between them. Germany claimed Western Poland and part of Lithuania. The Soviet Union was going to occupy Eastern Poland, the Baltic States and part of Finland.
  4. September 1, 1939: Hitler invades Poland.
  5. September 3, 1939: Britain and France declare war on Germany.
  6. Hitler invades Denmark and Norway (This is the heavy cruiser Blücher sinking in the Drøbak fjord in Norway)
    It lies on a depth of 64 metres (35 fathoms) and it still leaks oil.

View attachment 116847

7. May 24, 1941: The HMS Hood and The HMS Prince of Wales engaged in a naval battle with the German battleships Prinz Eugen and (the more menacing) Bismarck. Resulting in the loss of the mighty battlecruiser Hood.
  8. December 7, 1941: The Japanese Navy strikes the naval base of Pearl Harbour
  9. By the mid 1943s the campaign in the North-Africas had been won.
  10. The Allies launched an invasion of Sicily in July 1943.
    1. At the same time the Soviet forces achieved victory at the Battle of Stalingrad.
  11. Trident conference was held. With Churchill and Roosevelt.

Fast forward.

Germany's Atlantic Wall

The Atlantic wall

View attachment 116849

What was the Atlantic wall?

In my own words. An insanely long stretch of coastal defenses that you can still witness today. Supported by the Kriegsmarine.
Just as a reminder, the Bismarck sank the Hood in one salvo and took a fleet to bring it down.
The invading force had to penetrate this Atlantic wall.

The "Allied Expeditionary Force"
Commanded by Dwight D. Eisenhower

View attachment 116850

What was D-Day?

1. A big scale landing operation organized mainly by US and UK forces.
  2. Night coming into June 6th
  3. The target was Normandie, France.
  4. Led by Dwight D. Eisenhower and the opposing force was led by Adolf Hitler / Field Marshal Erwin Rommel.
  5. US forces had been training in England.
  6. More than 150'000 soldiers from the combined forces attacked.
  7. More than 195'000 naval personnel assisted

The attack plan:​

View attachment 116851

This is Eisenhower's letter to the attacking force.
Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force!

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hope and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle-hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944! Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to Victory!

I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full Victory!

Good luck! And let us beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

View attachment 116848

To be continued ( I will update this when I have time. We are approaching D-Day)
Finn Salvesen was a merchant sea captain based in Oslo. Anticipating the German invasion he got his crew together and sailed down Oslo fjord , across the North Sea and docked in Newcastle. He and the crew were interned, interviewed and questioned. The security services decided they were not spies and released them. He spent the war serving in our merchant navy. At the end of hostilities he married my mum‘s sister. So I have Norwegian cousins etc. Finn’s brother founded the Salvesen transport company whose trucks were often seen on British roads.

If any skilled mods can format my post better I would appreciate it.
Well I'm not a mod but I do hope you get any help you need to finish this.
Look forward to it, and thank you for your efforts so far.

Been on many tours but this one was the most pertinent, yet so harrowing in the road to defeating the Nazi domination.

I won’t be there in person for the 80th, but will be in mind.

Lest we forget.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.