David Conn on Abu Dhabi and Human Rights

Whilst I think you have to compare like with like, it's no use comparing a middle eastern country, esp. in light of the 'War on/of Terror', with centuries old democratic nations, you have to compare the UAE with its neighbours, I welcome all attempts to bring to light all real abuses of human rights. Torture should not be accepted here or there and the same goes for questionable trials.

However, not being completely familiar with how the UAE is ruled, I'm unsure as to how much power Sheikh Mansour actually has?

ElanJo said:
Whilst I think you have to compare like with like, it's no use comparing a middle eastern country, esp. in light of the 'War on/of Terror', with centuries old democratic nations, you have to compare the UAE with its neighbours, I welcome all attempts to bring to light all real abuses of human rights. Torture should not be accepted here or there and the same goes for questionable trials.

However, not being completely familiar with how the UAE is ruled, I'm unsure as to how much power Sheikh Mansour actually has?

Conn makes a lot of comments based on a few other people's statements. Has he actually been to the UAE? Maybe he should go there if he wants to regain some credibility.

Maybe there are Human Rights issues in the UAE and if there are, hopefully they'll improve. It has been widely reported that foreign workers' conditions in the UAE are not good. However there are plenty of human rights issues and working conditions injustices (eg zero hours contracts) here in the UK, the US, Russia, and China to name but a few - other nations with very large shareholdings in English football clubs.

It is very disingenuous to single out MCFC and the UAE and rather hypocritical. I wonder does Conn drive a car, or buy Chinese goods? I'd be surprised if he doesn't.

yankcitizen76 said:
Fellow members. I am having a real big problem with this issue. I love City but am not cool with the idea of the owners as human rights violators. I realize that the Sheik who owns us may not be directly involved, but he's still part of the ruling family. I've asked several family members of mine, and all they can say is, "how much is your morality worth?" Is it possible to support the team but dislike the owners. In their defense, they've put quite a bit of money behind the team and are directly related to our resurgence. But it is obvious they are using the team for good publicity. The same way they plan to use the New York City franchise.

Can someone put this issue in perspective for me?

Americans climbing to the moral high ground about human rights violations?
Irony at it's best.

yankcitizen76 said:
Fellow members. I am having a real big problem with this issue. I love City but am not cool with the idea of the owners as human rights violators. I realize that the Sheik who owns us may not be directly involved, but he's still part of the ruling family. I've asked several family members of mine, and all they can say is, "how much is your morality worth?" Is it possible to support the team but dislike the owners. In their defense, they've put quite a bit of money behind the team and are directly related to our resurgence. But it is obvious they are using the team for good publicity. The same way they plan to use the New York City franchise.

In response to the highlighted bit.. What a crock..

yankcitizen76 said:

And you're a 'Yank', right? How do you feel about your country? In any way patriotic?

yankcitizen76 said:

Says the man whose president sanctioned Guantanamo Bay, Extraordinary Rendition and waterboarding.

laserblue said:
yankcitizen76 said:

Says the man whose president sanctioned Guantanamo Bay, Extraordinary Rendition and waterboarding.

Shaker Aamer (born 12 December 1968) is a Saudi Arabian citizen and the last British resident held by the United States in the Guantanamo Bay detention camps in Cuba.[2] He was arrested in Jalalabad, Afghanistan, on 24 November 2001 and was rendered to Guantánamo on 14 February 2002, where he has now been held for 11 years, 5 months, and 12 days without trial or charge.[3][4][5]

According to documents published in the Guantanamo Bay files leak, the US military Joint Task Force Guantanamo believed in November 2007 that Aamer had led a unit of fighters in Afghanistan, including the Battle of Tora Bora, while his family was paid a stipend by Osama bin Laden. The file asserts past associations with Richard Reid and Zacarias Moussaoui.[6][7] Clive Stafford Smith, a human rights lawyer, said the leaked documents would not stand up in court. He claimed out that part of the evidence comes from an unreliable witness and that confessions Aamer made had been obtained through torture.[8][9] Aamer’s father-in-law, Saaed Ahmed Siddique, said: "All of these claims have no basis. If any of this was true he would be in a court now."[10] The Bush administration acknowledged later that it had no evidence against Aamer.[11]

Aamer has never been charged with any wrongdoing, has never received a trial, and his lawyer says he is "totally innocent."[12][13] He was cleared for release by the Bush administration in 2007, and the Obama administration in 2009[13] but remains in Guantánamo. He has been described as a charismatic leader who spoke up and fought for the rights of fellow prisoners and some have speculated that this might be a reason for his continued detention. Aamer says that he has been subject to torture while in detention.[14]

Aamer's mental and physical health has been declining over the years, as he has participated in hunger strikes to protest detention condition and been held in solitary confinement much of the time. He has lost 40 per cent of his body weight in captivity.[15][16][17] After a visit in November 2011, Clive Stafford Smith said, "I do not think it is stretching matters to say that he is gradually dying in Guantanamo Bay."[18] The UK government has been demanding his release for years, and many people there have repeatedly called for his release

yankcitizen76 said:

The UAE is what 40 years old? America had actual slavery for the first almost 90 years it existed. The civil rights movement was almost 200 years after it started. There's probably going to be growing pains in any country's history and it seems they're progressing at a faster rate than we did. I'm pretty sure the Abu Dhabi fund or whatever owns a lot of the parking meters in America, specifically chicago. That's a human rights violation worthy of protest .

I think some people on this thread are under the impression that yankcitizen76 designed, set up, sanctioned and runs Guantanamo Bay personally.

Maybe he did but I'd have thought the chances of him having personal input to that disgrace are pretty slim.

Sounds like America to me.

Oh and to use power against the muslim brotherhood i see nothing wrong with that. Those fanatic fuckers are the real danger to human rights

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.