David Herd

I was told many years ago that Alec and David played together for Stockport County.

R. I. P. David.

Edit. Just found this on Wikipedia:

Alec also made history by playing alongside his son, David Herd, in a 2-0 win against Hartlepool on 5 May 1951.

Last edited:
I was told many years ago that Alec and David played together for Stockport County.

R. I. P. David.

This is correct. It was about 1950 and IIRC is still the only instance of a father and son playing together in a league match. (Incidentally, when Ian Wright was playing for Forest it was rumoured that SWP would make his debut against him and much was made of it in the media but in the event it didn't happen.)

I quite liked David Herd even when he played at the rags. He was an honest player and not given to any controversy. I was genuinely gutted for him when he broke his leg while scoring for the rags at the swamp. I think that effectively signalled the end of his career although he played on at Stoke for a short while.

R.I.P. David.

His goal scoring record was very impressive, he sort of goes under the radar there despite his record for some reason.

I wonder if he still owned the garage in Flixton prior to his death?, I can't imagine today's players setting up in that kind of business when they retire, sigh of the times I guess.

RIP David

He had the garage at the Nags Head in Davyhulme for many years. Nice fella, played golf with him in a charity do at Northenden a few years back, he hit the 15th green with his second shot which was quite impressive because we were playing the 14th at the time!

He had the garage at the Nags Head in Davyhulme for many years. Nice fella, played golf with him in a charity do at Northenden a few years back, he hit the 15th green with his second shot which was quite impressive because we were playing the 14th at the time!

There is the David Herd motors just before the Woodsend Circle, not sure if it is Flixton or Davyhulme, I've had this discussion in the pub where both start and end and none of us are the wiser.

There is the David Herd motors just before the Woodsend Circle, not sure if it is Flixton or Davyhulme, I've had this discussion in the pub where both start and end and none of us are the wiser.

I think Woodsend Circle is technically Flixton whereas Nags Head Circle is Davyhulme, Lostock Circle is definitely Stretford but as for Dumplington Circle, who knows and frankly who cares!! Clearly someone in the Town Planning Dept was a bit obsessed with circles.

Bozzie is correct on all counts. Could see David Herd Motors (Flixton) from my back garden that backed onto Woodsend field.

I think Woodsend Circle is technically Flixton whereas Nags Head Circle is Davyhulme, Lostock Circle is definitely Stretford but as for Dumplington Circle, who knows and frankly who cares!! Clearly someone in the Town Planning Dept was a bit obsessed with circles.

I did think the circles could be the boundaries but then again you have these anomalies such as Flixton Cricket Club being beyond the circle and in Davyhulme.

Did Dumplington actually exist before the Trafford Centre?, I always thought that was Trafford Park.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.