David Platt

ell

Just seen this on Dario Gradi's column in the Mail..

"One of our 15-year-old kids was approached by Manchester City. I told him he couldn’t go, certainly until he was sixteen when we would receive compensation. Anyway, David Platt rang me up, City’s assistant manager at the time and a former Crewe academy product.

He said: ‘I’ve found out we are after one of your boys. Would you like me to come and speak to him and tell him not to come? There is no point in him going to City. We have hundreds of them here and don’t know what to do with them.’ He signed for Liverpool in the end. That was through an agent who used to play for us. He touted him around. His dad saw the money."

Read more: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2389337/The-Footballers-Football-Column--Dario-Gradi-The-FA-need-introduce-quota-series.html#ixzz2bl4xxRMA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z2bl4xxRMA</a>
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I never really took to potato head because of the things he said before he joined us, and things like this dont help either

In the past now though.

You could take it as a slur on us or an honest opinion of an informed ex player wanting the best for a young lad.

I'll just assume the latter for my blood pressures sake :)

If Platt really did say that then that is so out of order and shows how little he thought of City. Very dissapointing if true, can't imagine it will help Platt's chances of getting another job anywhere else if he's telling players not to come to the club

thats the reality of professional football. doesnt matter if you are good, you are replacable. You just have to be lucky

I think DG's point is that Platt behaved in an honourable manner on behalf of City. If the lad was no better than what was already on our books, why hinder his development? It's the unscrupulous agent that Gradi is lamenting here, for me anyway.
Also, it might shed some light on the differences between City's u/age set up and the values of the academy coaches/ scouts at Liverpool. Or it might not, allegedly.

At least, that's the way I read it - and I'm no fan of Platt.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.